NHL'94 Forums

Where Should the Kof94 III Be?

aqualizard

Where Should the Next Kof94 Be? (Choose 2 Places)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the next King of 94 -- or another big tourney -- be located? Please pick 1 or 2 places, but not more.

On 10/14/2017 at 8:20 AM, halifax said:

-they already have a hockey tournament the night before, nhl95  which is organized by our best bud segathon. may not want a second hockey video game tournament there.

'95? Lol. Really?

Sammy95.PNG

1. Vancouver BC

2. Surrey BC (LOL)

3. Las Vegas again. Its the safest place in the world (now). :P Seriously though it has some very cheap flights and hotels if you can get yourself a deal. Nice weather and lots to do. Even flying one province over can be more expensive than flying much farther here. If its gonna be often it would probably make it easiest on everyone to go back there.

But having said that, Vancouver it is...

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 9:14 PM, CaseBC said:

'95? Lol. Really?

Sammy95.PNG

1. Vancouver BC

2. Surrey BC (LOL)

3. Las Vegas again. Its the safest place in the world (now). :P Seriously though it has some very cheap flights and hotels if you can get yourself a deal. Nice weather and lots to do. Even flying one province over can be more expensive than flying much farther here. If its gonna be often it would probably make it easiest on everyone to go back there.

But having said that, Vancouver it is...

I'm not sure that we would go back to Vegas anytime soon.  While we did have a lot of fun there, it's likely that for the next one we will go back east. I (personally) would like to organize a tournament in Vancouver at some point though. Love that city a ton and I know at least a 12 guys from playing in tournaments and online that would attend(and I think we could get a lot more than that.)

Any opportunity to be in new places and spaces has an opportunity to draw new buds in to the ranks from that region.  I think for every local tournament, there should be an equal amount of energy placed into getting and retaining these players in our online community.  I also think some R and D energies related to better emulator options should be explored, to improve the experience.  We upgraded from AIM to Discord, and that's worked quite well.  Let's not linger on the same emulator for the rest of our lives.

What about Green Bay?

Troy seems to have everything together as far as logistics, organization, experience, and most importantly enthusiasm.
Add is Mikey and Halifax's help and we would truly have a dream team of organizers.
It could be the permanent home like Madison is for Tecmo.

AND,

a 2v2 component must be part of KO94three

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

What about Green Bay?

Troy seems to have everything together as far as logistics, organization, experience, and most importantly enthusiasm.
Add is Mikey and Halifax's help and we would truly have a dream team of organizers.
It could be the permanent home like Madison is for Tecmo.

AND,

a 2v2 component must be part of KO94three

I'm not against this in any form.  I already have all the CRT's we'd likely ever need(20ish), along with local venue connections that can scale as large as we want to go.

On October 19 I added three new cities:

1. Green Bay
  2. Minneapolis
  3. Vancouver

I did not add any votes, so if you like, go back and add your vote. (I think that is possible, if not, let me know.)  This thing is pretty unscientific, but at least it shows where the "interest" is...

13 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

On October 19 I added three new cities:

1. Green Bay
  2. Minneapolis
  3. Vancouver

I did not add any votes, so if you like, go back and add your vote. (I think that is possible, if not, let me know.)  This thing is pretty unscientific, but at least it shows where the "interest" is...

I couldn't change my vote

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, King of 94' WI said:

No votes have been retroactively added to GB, although it has been mentioned on here.

Oops... I meant to add them. (Has to be done manually by me.)

EDIT: Added votes like this:
Vancouver: 3 (casebc, jammer, halifax)
Minneapolis: 2 (flatcrusher, segathon)
Green Bay: 2 (trojan, coach)

Edited by aqualizard

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2017 at 10:20 AM, halifax said:

I had a thought a while back about having it at madison wisconsin, during their tecmo madison tournament, but there's probably more negatives than positives.

positives

-they'll already have tons of crts we could connect to. we'd likely we'd have to wait until late afternoon before crts became available(once they start needing less stations after guys are eliminated) but we could get a lot of setups in place.

-already have set up for the big screen, streaming.

-might have some run off from players eliminated from the tecmo tourney willing to play (working on amending the tournament a bit to accommodate new (and weaker) players, i'll post more on this at a later date)

-relatively central location for people to get to

-you can play in other tournaments as part of your weekend (nba jam or nhl95 the night before, and TSB). Im working on having a 2 on 2 tourney as part of the next Ko94....playing that 2 on 2 cart is just something everyone needs to be  a part of.

negatives

-they may not want us there ( I have not proposed this idea to the tecmo madison organizers)  - they may feel it would be too chaotic - too many people for the venue.

-they already have a hockey tournament the night before, nhl95  which is organized by our best bud segathon. may not want a second hockey video game tournament there.

-there's already a king of 94 wisconsin (wouldn't want to negatively impact this tournament in anyway, troy's a great bud)

-we'd start late in the day and end late (probably sometime after midnight) or we'd have to roll this over two days, saturday evening and sunday morning

-no nhl team, not sure what else there is to do there for a fun group sporting event? I would've said college hockey but it's over when this tournament starts.

just an additional thought.

I'm updating my post based on a changed heart on this.  I am for the next King of 94 tournament not being in WI, unless we joined forces to have it held in Green Bay or close by.

With the improved interest/turnout/timing in our Green Bay tournament, I'm certain that an annual NHL94 event in Madison in April would negatively affect what we've been trying to do in Green Bay.   At this point we can't compete with a 300 body retro spectacle, and if a marriage of sorts did take place, we'd be unlikely to attract a duplicate contingent to WI every year.  Keep the tournament out of the winter and out of the same state, and we still have a somewhat unique offering that people will travel to every year.  Our goal is to be late February every year moving forward.  Doing the opposite might spell the end of our humble, but attractive event.

I hope you will all consider our Green Bay tournament in February to be an audition of sorts.  Talk to those that attend it, @kingraph @angryjay93 @corbettkb @jer_33 @smozoma etc, and get their opinion if we have our house in order.

I truly believe this community has the ability to stand on its own, and doesn't need to be the opening act to anything else.  It just needs time, watering, and guys running tournaments in their areas of the country, constantly carrying the NHL94 torch.  That doesn't mean we can't network with other communities, but we don't know the intentions of those outside of the community.   You run a great event @halifax

Edited by King of 94' WI

When is this event planned to take place? I am pretty sure that if all necessary info is out well in advance, and the location is on the east coast, we could attend from Finland. We have 4 guys who are interested at the moment.

Just now, tebiah said:

When is this event planned to take place? I am pretty sure that if all necessary info is out well in advance, and the location is on the east coast, we could attend from Finland. We have 4 guys who are interested at the moment.

There's no current date. My guess is September/October 2019. Maybe 2018, but no work has been done so far.

That'd be awesome if you guys could make it. There are actually a bunch of Finnish guys on here who we've been trying to get to come out to a tournament :)

16 minutes ago, tebiah said:

8 minutes ago, smozoma said:

There's no current date. My guess is September/October 2019. Maybe 2018, but no work has been done so far.

That'd be awesome if you guys could make it. There are actually a bunch of Finnish guys on here who we've been trying to get to come out to a tournament :)

I should mention, there are other tournaments that happen, as well.

There's one in Wisconsin on February 24th 2018 (~32 players), and the yearly Long Island NY Retro Expo tournament had ~40 players last year (Aug 11-12, 2018). (see http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18291-view-from-the-booth-dec-2017/)

@tebiah, not sure if you saw what we have going on in Green Bay, as I know @smozoma took a moment to mention it.  It's going to be absolutely insane, and if possible, you should make arrangements to come next month.  Arda Ocal will be there, we have a live organist, great prizes including sealed hockey trading card packs from the 90s, and the venue is a virtual reality arcade.  We also do a bunch of random retro and 2v2 the night before for all the traveling players looking for something to do.  There is also the shrine that is Lambeau Field, which accepts tours year around.

You can sign up at tinyurl.com/fleury2018.  We also have a thread on the tournament in the King of 94 section, and added the event to Evensi.

https://www.evensi.us/king-94-wi-presents-fleury-goals-nhl94-tournament-edge-vr-arcade/229768138

Lastly, check out our promo video.  It should give you an idea just how serious we are taking all of this.

We sincerely hope you will make the journey!

• 2 weeks later...

For Ko94III, I agree with @annatar, it should definitely be hosted in a city where there's proven local interest.  While I would really like to see it happen in Chicago, that turnout in Toronto was really impressive.  So if it happens not to be in Canada, I think the closer we get to Canada, the better turnout we should expect which is why I also thought Minneapolis was a good choice.

• 1 month later...

That's pretty cool.  I've never been to Vancouver but I've heard nothing but great things about that city.  While this is a little bit of a hike, this will definitely be worth the trip.

I already spoke to Hali and he pointed out something about dates that the group in the US may not be aware of.  I was concerned it might be the first weekend of Oct (Columbus Day weekend for US), however, it's Thanksgiving weekend to our friends up north so that weekend is out.  Hopefully that works for more buds.

Can't wait to hear more details soon! 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/10/2018 at 3:28 PM, tebiah said:

I just saw this!  Would be SUPER COOL to have you guys from Finland come!  I think the rumblings say the next one (after #3) will be out east again.  Hope to see you guys there.  I know I will be at any one out east.

31 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

I just saw this!  Would be SUPER COOL to have you guys from Finland come!  I think the rumblings say the next one (after #3) will be out east again.  Hope to see you guys there.  I know I will be at any one out east.

Agreed. There have been 2 out west, we need to head east.  I feel like there's a pretty good 94 presence out there.  There's VC, Bo and the Pitt contingent + all the guys in/around NYC...  and if the Fins can make it, that would be awesome