NHL'94 Forums

MS-DOS NHL Hockey & NHL Hockey 95

Hello, 

I used to play NHL ‘94 on the  Genesis and later I got NHL Hockey on DOS for my PC.

The DOS version was so insane both graphically and sound wise.  The graphics were so crisp etc.

I loved how it had one-timers, but it also had fighting and blood.

If I understand correctly, the major drawback to the DOS is that there is no manual goalie option.  Is this correct?

Does the DOS version support 4 players?

Also, I see that there is also NHL 95 for DOS, but it keeps the older style gameplay. Is fighting still included?  Does it support manual goalies or 4 player+ games?

Sorry if this is a repost, but I haven’t been able to find the answers to these specific questions despite reading posts for about an hour.

I loved NHL94 so much on Genesis, but the DOS version on a CRT Monitor is seriously 2D Hockey perfection presentation wise.  I might build a custom DOS rig just for the 2 hockey games.  It’s like a long lost grail in my mind whenever I hear people hyping up NHL 94!

Hi, either one of DOS versions, NHL Hockey or later release NHL95, do not have fighting. Fighting came to DOS versions on NHL96.

Those DOS versions do not have a goalie control, it came to DOS versions on NHL96.

DOS versions NHL Hockey and NHL95 support only 2 players, but only on same computer, there is no network play support.

You can find some discussion about those both versions on this site, under topic NHL '95. Mainly information and updates to NHL95, but there is few discussions about NHL Hockey also.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NHL Hockey on DOS is how I cut my teeth on 16 bit hockey, or should I say, 32 bit on PC.  ;)  I played on keyboard and gravis gamepad, and it was glorious.  

Sadly, the back in the day, my computer wasn't the fastest, so it wasn't as fluid as console version.  It still holds significant real estate in my heart as nostalgia is concerned.

I am not entirely certain what engine it was built on, or if it was its own.  It doesn't seem to play like the console versions.  Gotta love that arrow icon for passing next to the player :)

I also loved the full seasons you could play.

• Like 1

Played NHL Hockey on my first real PC. Wish I could remember the specs on that baby. There was a company in town that used to rent PC games.. not sure how they got away with it - I suppose the customers signed something stating that they would delete the game once returned. Played a lot of great PC titles that I otherwise could not have afforded.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jer_33 said:

Played NHL Hockey on my first real PC. Wish I could remember the specs on that baby. There was a company in town that used to rent PC games.. not sure how they got away with it - I suppose the customers signed something stating that they would delete the game once returned. Played a lot of great PC titles that I otherwise could not have afforded.

I know that some games had questions at the start to prove you bought the game because they were from the manual (which in those days were really detailed so if you were going to photocopy them you might as well buy the game..). I had a pirated copy of.. Pirates.. that would make the game really hard if you didn't answer the question right. There was a WWI fighter plane game that also did that (it wasn't "Red Baron").

On 26.10.2017 at 5:19 PM, King of 94' WI said:

I am not entirely certain what engine it was built on, or if it was its own.  It doesn't seem to play like the console versions.  Gotta love that arrow icon for passing next to the player :)

NHL95PC is very close to Genesis/NES NHL94, but not quite. For example one-timers are requiring much more accurate timing.  

Thanks for reminding about that arrow icon, it only appears if you select mouse as a controlling device. Game is very hard to play with mouse, there is a totally new challenge now :)

On 26.10.2017 at 10:47 PM, jer_33 said:

Played NHL Hockey on my first real PC. Wish I could remember the specs on that baby. 

I had Intel 486/66Mhz processor on my PC when NHLPA Hockey and NHL95 came out for PC. Then NHL96 released for PC and Finnish game magazine wrote something like this: "NHL96 is here and PC gamers have to update their computers". Well, that was exactly what happened to me. I tried to play NHL96 with my old PC, but after few days I went to computer store and got a new PC with Pentium processor and better graphics card. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/27/2017 at 10:35 PM, Kiba said:

I had Intel 486/66Mhz processor on my PC when NHLPA Hockey and NHL95 came out for PC. Then NHL96 released for PC and Finnish game magazine wrote something like this: "NHL96 is here and PC gamers have to update their computers". Well, that was exactly what happened to me. I tried to play NHL96 with my old PC, but after few days I went to computer store and got a new PC with Pentium processor and better graphics card. :) 

It was NHL Hockey not NHLPA Hockey. NHLPA '93 was the previous generation on SEGA/SNES.

I loved NHL Hockey so much. I liked it more than NHL95 that came the year after. The games were more high scoring in NHL Hockey, the goalies were boosted in the NHL95 version so much that the computer could hardly score a goal so that ruined the game a bit for me even though it had better presentation.

I remember figuring out I could mod and create new players so I traded and created current rosters. I remember season playing Blues with Gretzky and Hull for instance...

Also NHL94/NHL Hockey was based on the magical 92/93 season. How many teams did not get all time scoring records that year? But it missed the new teams from the next year that the console versions had though.

I had a Pentium 100MHz if I remember correctly. I also played NHL96 on it quite a lot. A game that definitely don't hold up as good today imo as NHL Hockey and NHL95 does.