NHL'94 Forums

[Aug 11-12, 2018 - Long Island, NY] - Long Island Retro Gaming Expo

It's about 9 months away, but the Long Island Retro Expo has confirmed the dates of Saturday Aug 11th and 12th in 2018 at the Cradle of Aviation Museum (same venue as the 2017 tournament)

Nothing has been set yet, but I fully expect that we will run a '94 tournament on one of those days.  So get your fare alerts and plans set for a trip to NYC in August!

More information to come later (way later), but I wanted to get this out now.

2018 Poster.png

Ok, thanks for the headsup.  I am going to try to make this one, and the long notice helps!

Also, I have moved to the original Gens controller for online play, so I am not hitting the wrong buttons when I play live!  (In Vegas, my first time using an original controller -- besides 20+ years ago -- was the day of the tourney.  Huge mistake.)

Is this Retro Expo going to be just as big as the Hartford one?  You did this one last year, didn't you, or was that a different one? (Or my imagination.)

I added this thead to www.nhl94.com/events for easy sharing...

Edited by aqualizard

We've been there the last two years and have a great relationship with the Expo organizers (they are fantastic).  This will definitely be bigger than Hartford as far as '94 turnout.  First year we had 26 or so...this year we had over 40 sign-ups (36 ended up playing) and I am hoping we can get to 64 for 2018!  

Now, that is premature because we will need a lot more space to run a 64 person tourney and we haven't had those discussions yet!  Other consideration is to have an entry fee ($5?) and cap at 32, leaving it to the more serious '94 players.  Again...way early now, but thoughts are circulating.

Hope you can make it!  

6 minutes ago, kingraph said:

We've been there the last two years and have a great relationship with the Expo organizers (they are fantastic).  This will definitely be bigger than Hartford as far as '94 turnout.  First year we had 26 or so...this year we had over 40 sign-ups (36 ended up playing) and I am hoping we can get to 64 for 2018! 

It is GENs only, right?

Wow, hotels in "Garden City" are a couple or even few hundred bucks!! Do you know any good hotel options on the subway line, or a short(ish) Uber from the venue?  (I think the nearest Subway is Jamaica, 10 miles away?)

Edit: Here is a link with some transport info: Long Island Rail Road

Edited by aqualizard

I haven't looked into hotels/transportation myself, but it's a good idea to provide some of that info for anyone traveling.  I'll do some legwork, thanks for the prompt.

Also - I'd advise staying away from Jamaica.  Trust me on that one. 

1 hour ago, aqualizard said:

Wow, hotels in "Garden City" are a couple or even few hundred bucks!! Do you know any good hotel options on the subway line, or a short(ish) Uber from the venue?  (I think the nearest Subway is Jamaica, 10 miles away?)

Edit: Here is a link with some transport info: Long Island Rail Road

Don't stay in Jamaica. You can probably find cheaper out further east on the island. Then take the LIRR in.

When I went in 2016, I stayed in an air b&b in long island city. It was hit and miss like most redevelopment areas are. I was a block away from the subway and lucky enough for me chaos was willing to give me a lift deeper into long island. 

Staying anywhere in or near NYC will cost you a bundle. Your best bet is to room with someone and plan out your logistics ahead of time as they change dramatically depending on the airport. Ex: I arrived in Newark and departed from la Guardia.

LIRR is your best bet away from the city, but it is far more expensive than the subway. You'll also need Ubers and other things away from the city, those expenses can pile up quickly. My best suggestion is to compare costs of staying in NYC and not. Just don't try to get too cute in the city and run things by the NYC guys in the forum as they will likely be able to help out with the nuances of your trip.

• 5 months later...

BUMP!  We are set for August 11th at 2pm!  Pre-registration can take place on the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo site: http://expo.liretro.com/

If anyone is planning to attend from this community, please let me know sooner than later!  2017 was a blast, @corbettkb beat @smozoma in an exciting finals!  @Lupz27 went to the semis, and we had @orangeblack92 representing as well.  You can read through 2017 here and see the finals video.  @chaosand I will be running the event again this year, unfortunately @Evan and @egg won't be able to attend.  

In addition, we have had some players come for 3 straight years and the competition is pretty tight!

Format (based on 32 entries) is a 3 game round robin, followed by 16 team single elimination (best of 3 series).  It's a blast, and as part of the Expo, there are lots of other things to do there, so come early and leave late!

Featured table will be streamed at www.twitch.tv/kingraph ( I will let everyone know when that goes live).  

Arda Ocal is planning to attend, along with former NHL enforcer Colton Orr!  Here's a sample of Orr's work:

2018 event photo 1.png 

2018 Poster.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, kingraph said:

16 Days to the tourney -- can you name all #16's (without cheating?)

16_days.png

Ooof I am drawing a blank

For sure, top right Hull, bottom right Goulet 

Pretty sure Lafontaine in center

Left side I drawing a blank on both

Borchevsky (sp)       Hull

Patty L

Verbeek                      Goulet

Where is....

Douris
Berube
Propp
Konstantinov
Holik
Boschman
Berezan
Kontos
Linden
May

• Haha 1

Yeah, I wanted to go, too.  But:

1. I am camping with friends at that time, and
2. Don't want to ask wife to go to two tourney's close together, and have my eyes on Ko94 III.

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, skoolyardpuck said:

80% sure I'm in for this one but would love to get reacclimated with competitive play.  Anyone looking for an online game, HMU!

Welcome back stranger!!! One of the most retro dudes that could make a comeback!

6 minutes ago, angryjay93 said:

Welcome back stranger!!! One of the most retro dudes that could make a comeback!

Good to be back!  Jesus, it's been almost 10 years I think...

• 2 weeks later...

Early on in the day Colton Orr as playing another guy, then a glitch happened and both their nets disappeared.