Sign in to follow this  
Lupz27

GDL XVII

Would you be interested in participating, and reviving GDL?  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Interested in new GDL season?



Recommended Posts

Simple yes, or no question.

Obviosly not till Classic is established, and winding down say maybe Thanksgivingish for a targeted draft start, or Dec 1st.

If your not in good standing with your Classic participation you would probably be excluded (I'm not saying I'm going to be the commish, but if your not active in Classic I would probably think whoever runs the next GDL should it happen would take that into consideration).

Edited by Lupz27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am interested.  But I feel the way Brutus does, that to be GDL, it has to have a large number of coaches.

If there aren't enough coaches, I would rather it be a GDL-like league with a different name.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

I am interested.  But I feel the way Brutus does, that to be GDL, it has to have a large number of coaches.

If there aren't enough coaches, I would rather it be a GDL-like league with a different name.

Yes I agree if we only got like 12 coaches call it like Mini GDL, but regardless I'd like to keep the format, and rules to a traditional GDL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes I agree if we only got like 12 coaches call it like Mini GDL, but regardless I'd like to keep the format, and rules to a traditional GDL.

Pretty sure "GDL" is trademarked, and any use of that term, or derivative of "GDL", is illegal.  Will have to be called something completely different to avoid prosecution. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have enough dudes, I'll be happy to run GDL.

If we don't have enough for GDL, but do have enough post-classic, I'll privately chat with those 12-16 coaches & set up the rules we most agree upon.

If there is enough interest, but not enough consensus, then I'd go with Et Tu Brute Season II, since those rules are already setup.

 

My order of preference would be GDL, GDL, GDL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know.. tradition. But I think I liked some of the tweaks Brut came up with for ETB better than traditional GDL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH, the regular season of GDL was pretty boring for the last few seasons.  2-6 people dominating and 18-22 people playing it out.  56 games is a long grind, and somewhat meaningless when the talent pool is so wide.  I have always preferred leagues that group skill level and/or try to balance out skill with handicaps.  

Drafting is hella fun though!

Having said that, if we get 24 people who want to play GDL that are new/excited to play, I say go for it!  You're probably going to need closer to 30 to deal with eventual drop-outs.  I don't think I'd play, but I will be happy to help work on the ROM and draft, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kingraph said:

TBH, the regular season of GDL was pretty boring for the last few seasons.  2-6 people dominating and 18-22 people playing it out.  56 games is a long grind, and somewhat meaningless when the talent pool is so wide.  I have always preferred leagues that group skill level and/or try to balance out skill with handicaps.  

Drafting is hella fun though!

Having said that, if we get 24 people who want to play GDL that are new/excited to play, I say go for it!  You're probably going to need closer to 30 to deal with eventual drop-outs.  I don't think I'd play, but I will be happy to help work on the ROM and draft, etc.

I know I am spitting in the wind, but.....

Why not take those 2-6 and let them compete in a small, fast, effective league.  Draft, season, playoffs, Draft, season, Playoffs etc......

Then divide those other 18-22 people up by skill and let them go in 6-8 man leagues doing the same thing.

Premium Retro has proven it works, except we have differing skill levels.

Limiting the draft pool worked well to maintain the fun of the draft.

Continuing to start leagues that lag, need replacements, last 6 months, etc..... is crazy but carry on crank her up and tell me why my small fast and effective leagues suck.

EDIT: BTW this is not directed at Raph even though I used his quote.  He is top notch in any league and supports all well.:big_smile:

In fact a goal I have is to give him a top notch league instead of hammering me.  and I believe I will get better playing Uber competitive games than getting trashed by him.

Edited by CoachMac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingraph said:

TBH, the regular season of GDL was pretty boring for the last few seasons.  2-6 people dominating and 18-22 people playing it out.  56 games is a long grind, and somewhat meaningless when the talent pool is so wide.  I have always preferred leagues that group skill level and/or try to balance out skill with handicaps.  

Drafting is hella fun though!

Having said that, if we get 24 people who want to play GDL that are new/excited to play, I say go for it!  You're probably going to need closer to 30 to deal with eventual drop-outs.  I don't think I'd play, but I will be happy to help work on the ROM and draft, etc.

Man seems like your almost on the brink of competitive league retirement unless it's absolutely necessary, shame there isn't enough guys who can play up to your level to keep you interested in the regular season.

Losing the best of the best in every league is what is hurting this place we don't need new blood as much as everyone thinks, what we really need is the old top level players to return, that is what this place is missing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Man seems like your almost on the brink of competitive league retirement unless it's absolutely necessary, shame there isn't enough guys who can play up to your level to keep you interested in the regular season.

Losing the best of the best in every league is what is hurting this place we don't need new blood as much as everyone thinks, what we really need is the old top level players to return, that is what this place is missing.

This is a fair point actually.  IN 4 GDL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In like Larry Flynn.

IMO 16 would be great 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I know I am spitting in the wind, but.....

Why not take those 2-6 and let them compete in a small, fast, effective league.  Draft, season, playoffs, Draft, season, Playoffs etc......

Then divide those other 18-22 people up by skill and let them go in 6-8 man leagues doing the same thing.

Premium Retro has proven it works, except we have differing skill levels.

Limiting the draft pool worked well to maintain the fun of the draft.

Continuing to start leagues that lag, need replacements, last 6 months, etc..... is crazy but carry on crank her up and tell me why my small fast and effective leagues suck.

Being small is not key to a league being fast and successful/effective though. Your league just happens to be small. 

Why not have the same fast/effective league with more players? Having a respectable amount of players in a league is very appealing for a lot of people. I would say that it trumps overall competitiveness. My guess is that most would prefer to see a league with 5/20 players be dominant than to see a league where 5/5 are competitive. 

Limiting the draft pool is another potential issue. Some people are very picky (see swos, Freydey) and may not be able to draft players they like. 

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Losing the best of the best in every league is what is hurting this place we don't need new blood as much as everyone thinks, what we really need is the old top level players to return, that is what this place is missing.

Basic Problem Solving: What is causing the best players to leave? That's the underlying problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Premium said:

Basic Problem Solving: What is causing the best players to leave? That's the underlying problem.

Lack of adequate competition, now when KG gets his home internet service installed since his town finally got fiber optic internet, and Tomkabs wires up his cpu instead of wifi (that wasn't that bad once I wired up), you return, King, and Ice and when they are hot Tex and Brutus all offer adequate competition.  Maybe if some of the other top guys see this competitive again you might even get a handful more to return.  Just my .02.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in 24 hours I got 8 yes votes for interest, and 1 post saying he changed his mind and would play but forgot to vote.  9 coaches with interest in less than 24 hours is probably pretty good considering the ghost town this place was the last few months!  There are also a good handful of new guys that seem like really good buds that are gonna stick, and maybe they would have interest, plus I'm looking at you @TomKabs93 and @kgman01 would really get the level of competition at the top more then adequate, and then if @Premium decides to play so he can take down a past champ, and the Firsr Kof94 winner boom becomes very interesting.  As for kg he said he thinks he will have a real fiber optic connection real soon as his town finally has it available, and TK's internet is choppy when we were both on wifi, but when I wired up it wasn't terrible I've played much worse, and then if he wires up it should be fine so hopefully if this goes down you 2, and Plabax decide to be apart of it, and who knows who else might come out from hiding if they see this happening, yeah I'm talking to you @Uncle Seth @HABS @Zalex and @The Russian Rocket to name a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Lack of adequate competition, now when KG gets his home internet service installed since his town finally got fiber optic internet, and Tomkabs wires up his cpu instead of wifi (that wasn't that bad once I wired up), you return, King, and Ice and when they are hot Tex and Brutus all offer adequate competition.  Maybe if some of the other top guys see this competitive again you might even get a handful more to return.  Just my .02.

I disagree. GDL16 was arguably the most competitive league. Still bored many players. The competition was adequate, but sitting around for 25 days waiting for slackers isn't worth it for most.

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

 if @Premium decides to play so he can take down a past champ, and the Firsr Kof94 winner boom becomes very interesting.  

I already won two GDL titles with kgman in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will play. I can't promise my play will be good with a newborn and wife yelling at me, but I'll probably have a decent amount of non working time in the winter anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far have gotten more Yes votes this quickly then I thought, BUT for all the guys that may have come across this, and have been an active player in GDL before, or of your new here, and me, or someone else has talked to you about this league, but your just not interested don't be shy to click on the No response so we know where you stand, and can stop wondering if so, and so has any interest.

Starting to get hopeful thou that GDL XVII is not an if, but how many coaches as I can think of 4, or 5 guys who haven't responded new, and old that I believe would be interested off the top of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kylewat said:

I will play. I can't promise my play will be good with a newborn and wife yelling at me, but I'll probably have a decent amount of non working time in the winter anyway.

Zepp welcome to the wonderful world of "Jesus Christ I can't even take a s**t for 5 minutes without being bothered" it truly is wonderful.

I went through this GDL XV had my best regular season ever!  Didn't hurt that I had Gretzky Gartner Oates thou to help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In, and I am down with whatever # of guys we have. I am sure we can get at least 16 guys.

If we get 22-24 guys, do we keep it 56 games? I think we can, but guys truly have to dedicate themselves or schedule a couple of hours per week where they announce it on the forum AND show up to discord to match up with guys when they say they will.

I think a lot of us are overreacting to the spring and summer, which were bad this year. My summer was particularly tough as far as being on here, and I was trying to run a league. Bad recipe.

Fall and winter is when we're all amped up to play some '94. I am rededicating myself, daily anew!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this