NHL'94 Forums

Premium Retro League 2

CoachMac

Multi-Season League (Draft, Keeper, League)
WBF, CB Fix, Pens ON, but reduced to 1 minute.
Short, Fast, Fun! (1 month beginning to end)
10 Teams
New York (KingRaph)
Detroit (Icestorm)
Montreal (Tex)
Toronto (Jer33)
Chicago (Brutus)
Los Angeles (Aqua)
Minnesota (Coach)
St. Louis (Lupz)
Oakland (Flatcrusher)
Philadelphia (Chefstar88)
20 game regular season in 2 weeks.
Each team will play every team twice and then 1 team 2 more for a total of 4 against that 1 team.
King vs Ice (4 times)
Tex vs Jer (4 times)
Lupz vs Brutus (4 times)
Aqua vs Coach (4 times)
Chef vs Flat (4 times)

= 20 game regular Season
9 man Rosters (4 F's, 4 D, 1G)
No Trades

SEASON 2 Draft
Ice and King get no keepers.
Tex and Jer get to keep 1.
Coach and Aqua can keep 2.
Chefstar88, Flatcrusher, Brutus and Lupz as expansion teams and start with blank rosters.
Players in Draft will be from the Adams Division in the Original rom (BOS, BUF, HAR, MTL, QUE, OTT)
Plus all the players from my 1956 Retro Rom.
No limit or restrictions on Retro Players
9 man rosters (4 Forwards, 4 D, 1 Goalie)

Draft Order
#1 Coach
#2 Aqua
#3 Jer
#4 Tex
#5 Brutus
#6 Lupz
#7 Flatcrusher
#8 Chefstar88
#9 Ice or Raph
#10 Ice or Raph

Playoffs Top 8 Qualify

Playoffs Top 4 Qualify

Draft Document

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSixzNG45iWE_moV6JHFmYYnOMWyZaPD5_1LGMJEVmvDyDKpQxVdLtQieKVf-R-CdbbFB9nAPPmAGIL/pubhtml#

Edited by CoachMac

To be clear, the "keepers" we carry over are permanent, right?  (So this coming season, say I finish middle of the pack and get to keep one guy for the season after, I will have 88, 66 plus the new guy I kept, right? All 3 as keepers? It is not like I would get only the one guy total to keep, which would actually be a step backwards, and seeming to me to defeat the purpose of creating parity... right?)

Edited by aqualizard

6 hours ago, aqualizard said:

To be clear, the "keepers" we carry over are permanent, right?  (So this coming season, say I finish middle of the pack and get to keep one guy for the season after, I will have 88, 66 plus the new guy I kept, right? All 3 as keepers? It is not like I would get only the one guy total to keep, which would actually be a step backwards, and seeming to me to defeat the purpose of creating parity... right?)

No keepers are based on the previous season.  If you win the Championship, do you think you would keep Mario?  No.
If you finish middle of the pack and get one you will have to choose between Ray Bourque/Patrick Roy/Mogilny and Mario for your one keeper.
We want you to be competitive Aqua not the 1977 Canadiens or the 1985 Oilers.
We will also re-evaluate each season.  Originally I said that 5th and 6th would keep three and we decided that was to much.
Also after 4 seasons we will have exhausted the draft pool and will either start over or Draft strictly from 70's, 80's, or other 90's roms.
I am not sure.  
I/You/We are building this thing as we go, but as to your original question.  
No, you do not permanently own Mario and Lindros.

I can tell you.

Season 3 will look similar to this one and the Draft Pool will be the Norris Division and my 1961 Rom. (January 2018)
Season 4 will be similar and the Smythe Division and my 1966 Rom. (February 2018)

Early thoughts on:

Season 5 Some kinda combination of Original 94 players and my 1967 Rom. (March/April 2018)
Season 6 Some kind of combination of Original 94 and my 1970 Rom (May 2018)

Then a Summer Break.

P.S. I am loving the intrigue of a different draft pool instead of the same old, same old and the talk of the strength of this draft class and that draft class.
Especially loved Raph calling 1956 Jean Beliveau, Gretzky on Steroids.  (as he was and I know my ratings are good)

Edited by CoachMac

One thing I think should be clear heading into the draft is Season 3 Keepers, so here is the rule.

0 keepers = 2 Teams who play in the Stanley Cup Final

1 keeper = 6 Playoff teams who do not make the Stanley Cup Final

2 keepers = 2 non-Playoff teams.

Expansion teams or Teams with a replacement coach will get zero keepers.

This is subject to change only if everyone agrees similar to last season when we lowered the number of keepers for everyone, but we turned out with 6 coaches and 6 keepers.

Now we have 10 coaches and 10 keepers.

Future Expansion

I would like to get to 12 Teams and have the 6 A Coaches be the Original 6 Teams and the 6 B Coaches be the 6 1967 Expansion teams.

22 Game season playing each coach twice.

And the realign top 2 move up and bottom 2 A move down each season.

Playoffs would be all A vs A and B vs B until the Finals and then the B guy would get his once in a lifetime shot.

However I am fine with less as long as we keep the seasons moving with motivated coaches.

I am never going beyond 12 teams.:big_smile:

• Like 1

1.2 The L.A. Kings select Patrick Roy

Edit: Is there a place where I can see only the retro guys? There are 10 of them, right?  (I know they are in the Google Doc, but I would like to see them separated to help me strategize.) 
I see, the whole 1956 Retro Rom. (Thx, Lupz) 

Edited by aqualizard

13 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

1.2 The L.A. Kings select Patrick Roy

Edit: Is there a place where I can see only the retro guys? There are 10 of them, right?  (I know they are in the Google Doc, but I would like to see them separated to help me strategize.)

There are more then 10 this year I believe everyone in the 56.bin rom Coach released is available to be drafted from my understanding.