NHL'94 Forums

NHL '94 Sim League

Alright, so I've mentioned this before, but lately I've been making new ideas for this league and I plan to launch it in a few weeks. The NHL '94 Sim League, all done on the original NHL '94! If you're interested in the league, message me! Here are the plans and rules for the league!

PLANS:

1) League Layout:

• 16 Teams
  • 8 Team Tournament, Single Knockout
  • 10 Week Season, 3 Games/Week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), Mid-season
  • Fantasy Draft for Season I: 10 Forwards, 8 Defensemen, 3 Goalies 
  • Free Agency: Silent Auction, Highest Bidder Wins (24 Hour Time-Frame)
  • Roster Setup: Minimums- 8 Forwards, 6 Defensemen, 2 Goalies; Maximums- 12 Fowards 10 Defensemen, 4 Goalies
  • Cuts: You can cut up to 5 players/season, and the rest will go on waivers.
  • Salary Cap: I've decided that teams will start with a $40 Million Budget per team.

2) Rules:

• Show respect to other GMs, don't be immature (Trash Talking is Permitted)
  • Do not cheat (Transactions after deadline, below minimum, above maximum)
  • Do not complain to me, manager of the league, if you break a rule.
  • Just have fun.
  • Penalties for breaking the rules include:

1st Time Offense: Warning

2nd Time Offense: Lose a player/pick, any player/pick

3rd Time Offense: Short Suspension (No Transactions allowed by GM during that period)

4th Time Offense: Punishments will be decided by manager of league, me (Blake)

Beyond That: Thrown out the league

• More rules to come eventually, come up with suggestions if you like.
Edited by Blake
Minor Rule Changes: Salary Cap added, Rule Change to Number of Cuts, FA Rule Change (Silent Auction), Expansion Draft Rules (We'll save that for another time)

Sounds like fun. I would be in.

Question: Are you planning on uploading the games to youtube, or would the coaches just get the game results?

1 hour ago, Blake said:
  • Free Agency: First Come, First Serve Basis, max of 5 FA Signings

I would suggest changing this. Not everyone will be in the same timezone, so certain coaches would have an advantage over the others. I was in a sim league for the PC version of NHL94 a couple of years ago, and we used a silent auction format. I would suggest using something like that. TBH, the silent auction was the most fun part of the league. It's a blast trying to scoop up players with lowball bids, or trying to guess the lowest bid that would get you a player that you are after.

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

Question: Are you planning on uploading the games to youtube, or would the coaches just get the game results?

I would suggest changing this. Not everyone will be in the same timezone, so certain coaches would have an advantage over the others. I was in a sim league for the PC version of NHL94 a couple of years ago, and we used a silent auction format. I would suggest using something like that. TBH, the silent auction was the most fun part of the league. It's a blast trying to scoop up players with lowball bids, or trying to guess the lowest bid that would get you a player that you are after.

Missed you Skeletor!

Welcome Back!  I am sure Brutus will be happy to see your sausage!:haha:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Hmmm, I can probably change the FA system up. All of this are the very basic bases for the league at the moment, so quite a bit could change over the next few weeks before starting it up. 

As for videos, I might upload them to YouTube under a different account and try and get some of the basic results.

16 hours ago, Blake said:

Alright, so I've mentioned this before, but lately I've been making new ideas for this league and I plan to launch it in a few weeks. The NHL '94 Sim League, all done on the original NHL '94! If you're interested in the league, message me! Here are the plans and rules for the league!

PLANS:

1) League Layout:

• 16 Teams
  • 8 Team Tournament, Single Knockout
  • 10 Week Season, 3 Games/Week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), Mid-season
  • Fantasy Draft for Season I: 10 Forwards, 8 Defensemen, 3 Goalies 
  • Expansion Drafts Beyond Season I: 7 Protected Players (Position doesn't matter), 1 player from each team, 5 FA Signings for lowly rated players (65 and Below)
  • Free Agency: First Come, First Serve Basis, max of 5 FA Signings
  • Roster Setup: Minimums- 8 Forwards, 6 Defensemen, 2 Goalies; Maximums- 12 Fowards 10 Defensemen, 4 Goalies; 3 PLAYERS WILL BE PROTECTED, 1 AT EACH POSITION. THAT MEANS YOU CANNOT TRADE OR CUT THEM. YOU CANNOT CHANGE ANY OF THOSE UNTIL THE OFF-SEASON.
  • Cuts: Cut as many as you want the first five weeks, afterwards, no more until the offseason
  • Side Note: There will be a forum to discuss this all, preferably at novanius.com (Invite link will be placed here, MUST CREATE AN ACCOUNT!!!)

2) Rules:

• Show respect to other GMs, don't be immature (Trash Talking is Permitted)
  • Do not cheat (Transactions after deadline, below minimum, above maximum)
  • Do not complain to me, manager of the league, if you break a rule.
  • Just have fun.
  • Penalties for breaking the rules include:

1st Time Offense: Warning

2nd Time Offense: Lose a player/pick, any player/pick (other than your 3 protected at 3 positions).

3rd Time Offense: Short Suspension (No Transactions allowed by GM during that period)

4th Time Offense: Punishments will be decided by manager of league, me (Blake)

Beyond That: Thrown out the league

• More rules to come eventually, come up with suggestions if you like. These are currently the basic rules.

15 minutes ago, oboe said:

Is this cpu vs cpu league? If it is i would like to coach team in your league. And the FA bidding should be a silent bid everyone get list of FAs and sends bids and highest bidder get the player

Yes, it is a CPU vs CPU league. I do want to do the FA bidding, but how? I can't just do real money and this league has no salary cap at the moment.

Ah yes its difficult without money. Maybe you should try to do salaries like maybe overall * base amount salary lets say 1000

So base salary of 73 overall player would be 73,000 maybe you can even different the salaries example 90+ ovr players 90,000 * 1,5

80-89 80,000 * 1,4

70-79 70,000 * 1,3 etc.

And some floor salary lets say 50 overall and less have all 50,000 salary minimum

The just calculate some salary cap maybe, so if you have 70 ovr player his base salary would be (70 * 1000)*1,3 and you cant sign him lower than his base salary.

Edited by oboe

10 hours ago, Blake said:

Yes, it is a CPU vs CPU league. I do want to do the FA bidding, but how? I can't just do real money and this league has no salary cap at the moment.

I'd recommend checking out the rules for Kiba's league. Basically, everyone starts off with an arbitrary amount of money that they get to spend on players. Everyone gets to make bids during three rounds of a silent auction. The details are here:

http://kiba.kapsi.fi/php/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=106

56 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I'd recommend checking out the rules for Kiba's league. Basically, everyone starts off with an arbitrary amount of money that they get to spend on players. Everyone gets to make bids during three rounds of a silent auction. The details are here:

I'm probably going to follow most of this set-up, these rules will work out much better! Appreciate it!

If you need GMs for this I can advertise this on KOHL channel. I would like to also participate, but I have to first figure out if I have time for this.

Not sure if it would be handy - but a while back, I made a sheet of all of the actual salaries for players in 1994.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/120GLczLCJjJfJ9yaG_iwK77DPLtxe4VICKQcTdlZtD8/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

Not sure if it would be handy - but a while back, I made a sheet of all of the actual salaries for players in 1994.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/120GLczLCJjJfJ9yaG_iwK77DPLtxe4VICKQcTdlZtD8/edit?usp=sharing

I'm going to have to steal this. :lol:

In all seriousness, thank you for this list! I might use this for FA and drafting in the future!

2 hours ago, Kiba said:

If you need GMs for this I can advertise this on KOHL channel. I would like to also participate, but I have to first figure out if I have time for this.

Go ahead and advertise it! Appreciate it!

8 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Rick Tocchet PIT   F R 29 $997,000

They couldn't give him the extra 3000??

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2018 at 2:54 PM, oboe said:

Do you have some stat extractor program?

On 1/14/2018 at 2:59 PM, Blake said:

No, I might screenshot the statistics or put them in a document.

We should probably look into extracting the game stats. Sounds like it would be a lot of work to do it manually, and would be pretty easy to lose game stats and return to the starting menu (iirc pressing the wrong button during the game or between periods will quit the game automatically). 

Someone with coding skills could probably make something with the following information:

It looks like some guys have put some tools together that might work (I haven't tried any of them though):

@Blake being a young dude you should look into learning web/database programming. Get set up with a WAMP server (I've used EasyPHP), figure out how to get a webpage reading/writing from/to a database, and then there are resources on the forum explaining how to extract the stats from save files (and I can give you my ancient ASP code to learn from). It's a really rewarding hobby: it's fun, and you'll have a massive head-start on a career in programming.

Before you know it, you'll know more about this stuff than I do (I'm super out of date now :))

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 11:27 PM, smozoma said:

@Blake being a young dude you should look into learning web/database programming. Get set up with a WAMP server (I've used EasyPHP), figure out how to get a webpage reading/writing from/to a database, and then there are resources on the forum explaining how to extract the stats from save files (and I can give you my ancient ASP code to learn from). It's a really rewarding hobby: it's fun, and you'll have a massive head-start on a career in programming.

Before you know it, you'll know more about this stuff than I do (I'm super out of date now :))

I'm thinking about slowly learning programming and coding, starting with html.

• 2 years later...