NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 Fighting

Hello Everyone,

After seeing many of these amazing ROM hacks you guys have created, a thought popped into my head the other day regarding the lack of fighting in NHL 94. Now from my ignorant POV it seems that NHLPA 93 and NHL 94 are not all that different. Again, I'm a non-programmer so the code could be COMPLETELY different. Could it be possible that fighting could be introduced into NHL 94 via a ROM hack by 'copying' the fighting code from NHLPA 93? Why not just play NHLPA 93 if I want fighting in the game? Well it would be great if NHL 94's one-timer feature to be included. I understand the fighting feature may change the whole game play of NHL 94 but I don't know, it's just an idea. What do you guys think?

This is my first post. I've been playing NHL 94 for years and found this site a few years back. It's really cool!

-Chris

This has actually been asked many times. Basically, yes it's possible, but things like this take a lot of work even if you already have experience making hacks. You have to find the fighting code in the first place, and the sprites/graphics and figure out how to hook it all up. The hooking it up is the real hard part because we don't have the source code so we don't really know how the code works unless we look at it"line by line". If the 93 code says "get the value from memory location 356357"... We don't know what that value is unless we do a lot of work. And then we need to find the same value in the other game (which will be in a different place in RAM) to hook them up.. And then we had to shoehorn the old code into the newer game, figuring out how to hook up all the parts.

Basically it's like a 100 hour project.

Did @McMikey get any information about this? Just thinking that the decision to eliminate fighting may have come late - and perhaps there is a single line of code that was deactivated.

We do know that players still had fighting ratings in NHL94 - so it's possible that fighting was once still a feature.

Edited by jer_33

2 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Did @McMikey get any information about this? Just thinking that the decision to eliminate fighting may have come late - and perhaps there is a single line of code that was deactivated.

We do know that players still had fighting ratings in NHL94 - so it's possible that fighting was once still a feature.

The fighting sprites aren't in '94 either, so it's not as simple as it seems.  @smozoma thinks 100 hours, I think more like 500, but I don't have a programming background. 

7 hours ago, kingraph said:

The fighting sprites aren't in '94 either, so it's not as simple as it seems.  @smozoma thinks 100 hours, I think more like 500, but I don't have a programming background. 

Man I wish I understood programming, AND have an interest in adding fighting to the game (I don’t) I would be able to donate about 35-50 hours a month IF it was something I was interested in.

I read a publication years ago about a kid who loved the Road Runner and Coyote cartoons who jumped off the Grand Canyon with springs strapped to his feet holding a "yikes" sign. They found him next to a giant bowl of bird seed. 

I don't remember the name of the publication, it could have been the The Weekly World News; it doesn't really matter. The point is: it's not in the game to keep kids safe. I know I feel all the safer for not having fighting in NHL'94, so much that I don't even lock the door on my rifle case at night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1