NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 Pc

There is no NHL94 to PC. There is NHLPA Hockey 93 and NHL95. If you mean NHLPA Hockey 93, you can try to use same tools as for NHL95: 

At least WNHLinfo works.

I have made a little stream highlight showing off the game a little.  I'm not any good at this version, but some of the same tricks work.  It has functionality from nhl94 like one timers, and dekes and slappers can score easy enough.  The crease trick doesn't seem to work that well as the goalies are faster.  They do have the Dallas North Stars instead of the Dallas Stars, so that should date the intended season of the game for you.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/219969538

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We need to clear up this misunderstanding.

NHL Hockey IS NHL94 for PC.

IT IS NOT NHLPA93. The misunderstanding comes from that it was made in 93. But so was NHL94 for the consoles...

It has basically the same rosters as the console versions of NHL94 (with some additions) but it is entirely based on the 92/93 season so no expansion teams and Dallas Stars is the Minnesota North Stars.

Many editing tools for 95PC works on NHL Hockey. For example NHLINFO.

• Like 1

As I said, the misunderstanding comes from that it was released in 1993 as it says during startup. On my NHL94 Megadrive cartridge it says copyright 1993 because it was also released in 1993...

Compare the rosters, NHL Hockey for PC has the NHL94 rosters (minus the expansion teams).

That GameFaqs page is also incorrect. If you trust GameFaqs there is also an NHL Hockey 92 that has one-timers: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564719-nhl-hockey-92 and it would be cool if you could show me that game as I have never ever seen it. Or even heard of it... :)

Watch the intros below, both say 1993 during startup.

Just wanted to clear this up since many people keep calling it NHL93 when it isn't. Its just NHL Hockey, but is "the same game" as NHL94. ;)

40 minutes ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

Incorrect, it's NHLPA93 teams and rosters.  The Stars are still in Minnesota in this game.

Actually incorrect.  NHL Hockey PC has NHL 94 rosters minus the expansion teams and more players.  As NHL 94 has 92-93 rosters.   Minnesota is actually called the Minnesota Stars in the game.   NHLPA Hockey '93 has 91-92 rosters.

For NHL93, EA would not get the rights due to the fighting in the game. They got the NHLPA rights instead to use real player names. So there actually is no NHL 93 game at all.

The game we are talking about is named NHL Hockey, plain and simple. Rosters are based on the same year as NHL94. It has no fighting (93 had fighting, 94 not), it has one-timers (94 had one-timers, 93 not)...

Why is it so hard to accept, NHL Hockey on PC = NHL94. They just left out the year from the name since they did not know if they would release more PC versions or if it was a one-shot release.

On 3/31/2018 at 11:59 AM, DSgamby said:

Actually incorrect.  NHL Hockey PC has NHL 94 rosters minus the expansion teams and more players.  As NHL 94 has 92-93 rosters.   Minnesota is actually called the Minnesota Stars in the game.   NHLPA Hockey '93 has 91-92 rosters.

The Stars were in Dallas for NHL94, so again, this is NHLPA with one timers added.  It's a tweener game.  There isnt' even manual goalie.

11 hours ago, Edge of 94' WI said:

The Stars were in Dallas for NHL94, so again, this is NHLPA with one timers added.  It's a tweener game.  There isnt' even manual goalie.

NHL Hockey PC was based on the 1992-1993 season when the Stars were still in Minnesota.  They were called Minnesota Stars in the game.

NHL 94 was based on updated rosters with the expansion teams and Minnesota's relocation to Dallas.

NHL Hockey PC was not NHLPA Hockey '93 with one-timers added. 

NHL Hockey PC also had penalty shots

NHL Hockey PC also had NHL and NHLPA licenses. 

NHL Hockey PC did not have fights or blood.

NHL Hockey '95 did not have manual goalie either. 

NHL Hockey PC had season mode which allowed trades and saving highlights.

NHL Hockey PC and NHL 94 are not ports of each other.   They were made by different developers.

Edited by DSgamby

NHL94 SNES and GENESIS are also made by different people.

All of you who say NHL Hockey is NHL93, please go and compare the rosters of the games before keeping on stating something that is very clearly wrong if you do some research. NHLPA93 did not even have an NHL license and was based on the 91-92 season.

The first game to have BOTH NHL license AND NHLPA license to use all player names was NHL94. If the game has both, it is not 93.

NHL94 and NHL Hockey are based on the same season. The difference is that the Genesis and SNES versions have teams and team names updated for the following season and some other game play features due to being made by other people. That's it.

You can also note the lack of good PC controllers during the era. The standard PC controller only had a D-pad and two buttons, there was no good way to enable goalie control so I guess they just decided to leave it out.

And this has been true for every yearly named release:

93 releases in... 92

94 releases in... 93

95 releases in... 94

96 releases in... 95

97 releases in... 96

98 releases in... 97

99 releases in... 98

...and so on...

Guess when NHL Hockey was released? It says so in the opening screen... Yes 93. Which would make it equal to? Guess...

This is also where the misunderstanding comes from. That it has the 93 copyright and no mention of 94. But 94 also has the 93 copyright...

Having played EA Hockey, NHLPA93, NHL94 on SNES/MEGADRIVE, NHL Hockey on PC, NHL95 on PC and comparing the games, to me it is obvious that NHL Hockey also gameplaywise is based on the same base as NHL94. The game does have a different feel though compared to the others, just like the SNES feels different to MD.

• Like 1

No right answer?

There is a right answer. The game is called NHL Hockey.

The player data is based on the 92-93 season and was released in 1993, just like NHL94.

NHLPA93 was released in 1992. This game was not.

Those are your answers.

Edited by nikethebike
  • Like 1

If it has the 92-93 stats, but no expansion teams, then it sounds like Edge's "tweener game" theory is on the right track. I.e., it's not a "game for the start of the 93-94 season" like NHL'94, it's more like a "recap of the 92-93 season," which is unique, unlike 93 or 94.

If it has one-timers, though, I'd say it's basically 94, as that's the defining feature of 94. I.e., the gameplay is 94.

This probably explains a Twitter encounter I had recently. Guy announce a few weeks ago that it was the 25th anniversary of 94. And I was frig off. And he was like true story. And I was like fake news. And he was like you’re fake news. 

In the end, I now know nhl94pc doesn’t have expansion teams. So perhaps he was correct.

Although for me it was more like beta testing until they got it right for the console. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikethebike said:

Genesis release in march 93.

That's been debunked. It's impossible for the game to have been released in March, because the expansion draft hadn't occurred.

Draft was June 24, 1993 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_NHL_Expansion_Draft

Large thread on the topic of the true release date, pinning it down to no earlier than September: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15557-nhl-94-release-date/

However, they don't have trades between non-expansion teams after March 93 (http://nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_season/1993-94/7 Note Brad McCrimmon was traded June 1, 1993    but is  still on the Red Wings in the game)

In the game ROM itself if mentions 1993Jul, suggesting they finished the game in July.

6 hours ago, DSgamby said:

Anyone know how I call a timeout in NHL Hockey PC?    I did it once but I can never duplicate it.

I did not knew that this is possible, always thought programmers left "time out" text on game, but they never implemented it. Would be nice to know how to call it.

10 hours ago, Kiba said:

I did not knew that this is possible, always thought programmers left "time out" text on game, but they never implemented it. Would be nice to know how to call it.

I was able to do it once.  The Timeout words were lighted up when it happened.  Until then, I thought the same.