Sign in to follow this  
weekendroady

Who collects hockey video games?

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

Long time lurker, big time hockey game collector. Just want to find more people out there who collect hockey games in general. I have around 250 different games and cover variants right now. I know of a couple others on the interwebs who collect hockey games specifically as well, but figured I might run into some others here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool!  I don't collect games, but I'd be interested to hear more about games collecting and what you know about the '92-'94 series in particular, maybe even share which versions you have?  Interestingly, I did just recently did pick up a sealed NHL'94 for Sega and SNES.  My kids asked if I was going to open them, and I tried to explain what a collectible was, haha.    

From what I know about '94, there is the

* Limited Edition 1st Sega
* Sega Genesis
* Sega MegaDrive (Europe)
* Super Nintendo
* Super Nintendo PAL (Europe)
* Sega CD
* Sega MegaDrive CD (Europe)
* Super Famicom

Missing anything?
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also some cool differences in branding.

I have the Original NHL Hockey with EASN and EA Sports Branding.

Same thing with NHLPA 93 plus I had an NHLPA 93 cart that had EA Sports as a splash screen instead of the  normal EASN spinning pucks.
I sent that one to Slapshot.

EASN branding had some issues with a little company known as ESPN, which forced the change to just EA.

Personally I have:

NHL 94 (x4)
NHLPA93 (x4)
NHL Hockey (x4)
NHL 95

and best of all an everdrive with all my Historic roms.
 

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have 6 copies of NHL 94 myself, variants being the two Genesis ones (two limited, one the regular release), the SNES copy (2x) and the Japanese Super Famicom copy - which was a pain to get at a decent price, but mine is complete and in great shape. So @kingraph you don't seem to be missing anything to my knowledge on your list. I'd like to track down those CD copies but have yet to own a Sega CD so I'm not as motivated to grab those yet...

@CoachMac I do have both the SNES variants of NHLPA 93. Another annoying label variant that year was for NHL Stanley Cup, green and blue text on the spine of the label.

As for other EA games during this 92-95ish time period, I have cart-only copies of Championship Hockey for the Master System and Game Gear. Those were EU releases only and basically the 8-bit version of the original NHL Hockey with international teams. I also have EA Hockey for the Mega Drive, the international team version of NHL Hockey. I have the regular game and the EA Sports Doubleheader version (which includes EA Hockey and John Madden Football on the same cart). For the 95 releases I have pretty hard to find Complete-in-box copies of NHL Hockey 95 for Game Boy and NHL Hockey for Game Gear. The Game Boy versions of the NHL series are so terrible...

I also have both Elitserien games (2x of both). When my hockey buddies come over to play games we almost always play a game of Elitserien 95 or 96. Have to use the Retron5 since I don't have a modded Genesis/Mega Drive. 

Edited by weekendroady
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 5:25 PM, CoachMac said:

Also some cool differences in branding.

I have the Original NHL Hockey with EASN and EA Sports Branding.

Same thing with NHLPA 93 plus I had an NHLPA 93 cart that had EA Sports as a splash screen instead of the  normal EASN spinning pucks.
I sent that one to Slapshot.

EASN branding had some issues with a little company known as ESPN, which forced the change to just EA.

Personally I have:

NHL 94 (x4)
NHLPA93 (x4)
NHL Hockey (x4)
NHL 95

and best of all an everdrive with all my Historic roms.

6

I never heard of the NHL Hockey EA Sports version.  Post a pics of the covers and carts and any screen shots if you can.

The same for NHL 94 that isn't the first edition.

Edited by DSgamby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have all the EA Hockey games including EA Hockey minus the Elisterien games.

(NHLPA 93, EASN, EA Sports and Euro cover, 95 EA Sports and Euro cover)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few loose carts for non 94 titles, but i most own something like 30 total 94 carts between snes and genesis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2018 at 6:14 PM, DSgamby said:

I never heard of the NHL Hockey EA Sports version.  Post a pics of the covers and carts and any screen shots if you can.

The same for NHL 94 that isn't the first edition.

NHL Hockey has three cover variants for North America:

ElectronicArtsNHLhockey.JPGEASportsNHLHockey.JPGNHLHockeyEASN.JPG

Notice the differences in the "introductory bar" at the top of each cover. One is "Electronic Arts", one is "EA Sports" and the other is "EASN Presents". The last two also have a white border around the action shot. I don't believe the carts or manual art changed though - just the covers. NHLPA 93 (both SNES and Genesis versions) have the "EA Sports" and "EASN" variations. Not sure what is more "rare" to be honest, but I the "Electronic Arts" version is easily the most common. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this is a more NHL 94-centric collective, I'm sure you'd appreciate this, I got it a few years ago from a seller in Japan, its actually pretty difficult to find complete (and relatively affordable). The included the tea with the game lol

08575EAB-B5E4-CEC8-C2546687CFDB74C0.png

NHL 94 was the only release of the EA series for the Super Famicom in Japan. The in-game text is actually fully translated into Japanese which is pretty remarkable for any U.S. sports game port. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weekendroady said:

NHL Hockey has three cover variants for North America:

ElectronicArtsNHLhockey.JPGEASportsNHLHockey.JPGNHLHockeyEASN.JPG

Notice the differences in the "introductory bar" at the top of each cover. One is "Electronic Arts", one is "EA Sports" and the other is "EASN Presents". The last two also have a white border around the action shot. I don't believe the carts or manual art changed though - just the covers. NHLPA 93 (both SNES and Genesis versions) have the "EA Sports" and "EASN" variations. Not sure what is more "rare" to be honest, but I the "Electronic Arts" version is easily the most common. 

Cool.   I have the Electronic Arts one obviously.  Both the EASN and EA Sports ones are on eBay about the same amount.  They are about 30 bucks or so including shipping.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this