NHL'94 Forums

NHL eSports Article

jer_33

https://apnews.com/e3df6ab1d73d45b297f3bc1e96102ab2/NHL-takes-esports-on-ice-with-gaming-tournament

Rob Simmelkjaer got his introduction to hockey playing “NHL 94” on Sega Genesis.

“I got to know the players and the teams, who played what position,” the NBC Sports executive recalled. “I think that’s something that the NHL can benefit from by putting esports front and center.”

The NHL did just that on Friday, following the lead of the NBA, NFL, FIFA and other leagues that have already established esports leagues in a burgeoning market. The 2018 NHL Gaming World Championship is a first step toward a potential version of the season-long NBA 2K League that’s set to begin in May or perhaps eMLS on “FIFA 18.”

Players will be able to match up 1-on-1 in EA Sports NHL 18 qualification rounds. That will be followed by regional finals in the United States, Canada and Europe on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and then the June 19 championship at Esports Arena Las Vegas during the NHL Awards with a prize pool of $100,000.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

If I could buy EA sports, or whatever company owns EA first thing I’d do is release the original 94 game with zero changes except online h2h on whatever platform that would allow it.

Edited by Lupz27
  • Like 1

“Console gaming is just now starting to take off,” said Mitchell, who also teaches esports at Emerson College in Boston.

I went to Emerson, so I am particularly upset this guy thinks console gaming is "just now starting to take off." WTF?? 

• Haha 1

A little more on this:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22701284/nhl-national-hockey-league-avoid-disaster-new-esports-initiative

It sounds like they've intentionally made it pretty simple to start with, so less can go wrong.