NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2018 Deadline update - Naples

naples39

I made an edit with the final playoff tree set.  Hopefully you don't mind, Naples.  Obviously this is your work and 0% of it is mine.  I used the 1.31 version and changed all (but 1) of the playoff matchups to match this year's real playoff bracket.  Obviously as with everything in a 24 year old game, there has to be a few concessions.  Here's what I did:

-All but one possible playoff matchup in the game is real for 2018.  

-All of the non-playoff teams are in one possibility.  (Couldn't leave them completely out, as it would cause the game to crash when trying to pick them for playoffs.) In this scenario, I seeded all of the non-playoff teams according to the real life standings, if the playoff teams didn't exist, except for Nashville.  With 31 teams, ONE real playoff team had to remain in the West, since there are only 7 that didn't qualify.  So, if you play with Nashville and notice that your matchup is Arizona instead of Colorado, back out and try again.  Seattle will fix this in a couple years.  

-I flipped the 'West' and 'East' according to how EA matches them up, as it has always bugged me that the Western Conference is on the east side of the screen and the Eastern Conference is on the west side of the screen.  Now, they show up on the "correct" side of the screen.  This doesn't matter, as NHL 94 never actually refers to them on-screen as the Eastern and Western Conferences.  If this bothers you, reset the matchups yourself. ;) haha

-You'll notice that the higher-seeded teams are toward the bottom of the screen, with the highest-seeded division champion in each conference at the very bottom.  This is so that home-ice works properly.  In NHL 94, the team listed second always has home-ice advantage.  Therefore, if the seeds hold, home-ice will always play out correctly.  The real-life higher seeded teams will always have home-ice as long as they advance (until the FInals).  Unfortunately, the East will always have home-ice in the FInals and there's no real way around that without flipping the conferences back (as I already explained earlier).  Luckily, the re-alignment a couple years back helped us out here.  The game runs the playoffs as a straight bracket and doesn't re-seed like the real NHL used to.  So, all of the matchups will play out perfectly, however home-ice may not work out right if a lower seeded team wins a series.  There's no way around that.   

Hopefully this little tweak makes it easier for everyone to play through the real 2018 playoffs!  It's not perfect, but it's the best we can do on almost quarter-century old software.

NHL 2018 1.31 by naples39 - playoff.bin

• Like 2

Hey @naples39

Aweosme job on your ROM (as usual).  I am curious...how did you get certain helmets to be the correct colors?  Do you edit them in NOSE/Hex or in TM?

5 hours ago, The Sauce said:

Hey @naples39

Aweosme job on your ROM (as usual).  I am curious...how did you get certain helmets to be the correct colors?  Do you edit them in NOSE/Hex or in TM?

I do them in NOSE, also with the clockwise sprite hack. There might have been some tweak to NOSE (or the reference images it uses), but I set it up a while ago and barely remember.

3 hours ago, naples39 said:

I do them in NOSE, also with the clockwise sprite hack. There might have been some tweak to NOSE (or the reference images it uses), but I set it up a while ago and barely remember.

Ok, cool.  I'll do a search and see if I can locate anything regarding the Clockwise Sprint Hack.  Thanks for confirming!

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, naples39 said:

Hey @naples39 (or anyone else who may know the answer) now that I have the sprite patch/hack, when I apply it, it messes up the trapezoid, some bench graphics (back up goalie in particular) and the glass behind the goalies.  I have seen this mentioned before, on this site, but no definitive remedy.  As you were able to overcome it, I am hoping that you could pass along some wisdom and point me in the right direction.  How did you overcome/fix it, on you 32 team ROM?

Did you fix it in TM, TileLayer, Hex or did you have another IPS patch that fixes it?  Any insight is appreciated.  I have been able to research and figure out most things but this one threw me a curve.  Thanks, in advance, duder!

Edited by The Sauce

11 minutes ago, slapshot67 said:

The sprite patch was already added to naples version of the 32 team rom. No need to add it again.

True, but I didn't edit his ROM... I edited yours/Skips which doesn't have the sprite patch.  I give you a shout out in the game scrolling credits as well as the post on this site.  :)
It's when I add it to your 2018 version that the problem occurs.  I'm looking for some advice on how to overcome it as there are no searchable instructions.  I believe he may have started with your 32 team ROM as well and then added the patch.  Just guessing...

Edited by The Sauce

There is no way to fix, I hope you copied your rom before you applied it.

if you do have a version before that, I can add the sprite patch to it, just send it to me.

Edited by slapshot67

3 minutes ago, slapshot67 said:

There is no way to fix that, I hope you copied your rom before you applied that.

if you do have a version before that, I can add the sprite patch to it, just send it to me.

I actually have 5 versions of it saved for that very reason.  Here's the last version, of it, that I posted here...

If you could add the patch to it, you sir, win the internet!  Thanks for offering to assist.  When I add the patch, it messes up the game/rink graphics.  If you able to fix them, then you are "da man!"  And, I may name my 1st kid Slapshot!

If you want me to PM it, please let me know. 

Edited by The Sauce

On 4/20/2018 at 12:14 PM, The Sauce said:

True, but I didn't edit his ROM... I edited yours/Skips which doesn't have the sprite patch.  I give you a shout out in the game scrolling credits as well as the post on this site.  :)
It's when I add it to your 2018 version that the problem occurs.  I'm looking for some advice on how to overcome it as there are no searchable instructions.  I believe he may have started with your 32 team ROM as well and then added the patch.  Just guessing...

I honestly don't remember what I did, but taking the 32-team ROM and applying the sprite patch sounds about right.