NHL'94 Forums

Perfect Team Stats (as in, what makes your dream team)?

jer_33

I know a lot of guys draft or assemble all-star teams in the draft leagues (or for fun), but I'd be interested to see what guys would consider a dream team.

You can use actual players from the game, or make up your own (show the stats, and reasons). Assume we are using the original rom, and rules (weight bug).

You you have a team of high-velocity shooters?

Are they hard-checking speedsters?

Do you like a balanced line-up? Forwards with different strengths?

• Like 1

Just take Connor McDavid from VHL rom, and you have a perfect player in any rom classic, or WBF.

Jer here's what I prefer by position

LW - RH preferably 5 speed guy or agile/high STH,  (Lafontaine/Hogue/)

C - at least 4/4 A/S along with min 4/5 Shot/Acc (Roberts/Turgeon/Carson/Hull (6/3))

RW - LH 5/4 A/S with 5+ STH  (Makarov/Hawerchuck/Damphouse/Savard)

D - min 4/3 A/S and 6+ weight

Pre-pass shooting, I was 100% on having wingers play on their stick side.  Once I learned how to pass shot I pretty much require having my wingers on their off stick side.  Much better for cross crease pass shots as well as cross crease one timers. 

My C I prefer a good to great shot, weight doesn't matter as much as long as they have min 4/4 A/S. 

Defense I don't value as high, mostly because I exclusively B check and have novice CB check skills.  I just want them to have some agility to stick handle out of trouble when called upon.

Goalie give a light agile goalie (terreri/casey) that allows me to get side to side quickly with GC to try and thwart one timers.  No concern on the light weights getting exploited by ram goals.  They're very infrequent maybe because I take GC so early and often? 

• Like 2

Center - 7 Weight, 5 Agility, 5 Speed, 4 Shot Power, 5 Shot Accuracy, 5 Stickhandling

Wingers - Right handed with at least average skating and shooting attributes

Defensemen - Right handed with at least average skating

Goalie - Whatever Bill Ranford's attributes are

Line 1A

LW - A lightweight left handed speedster, more play maker than sniper (Ex: Cliff Ronning)
C-  Speedster with a good shot, preferably left handed (Ex: Pavel Bure)
RW - Right handed speedster with more one on one capabilities (Ex: Tony Granato or Selanne if i was greedy)

I'm not picky about defenders or goalies. Obviously higher rated is better but as long as the defenders have 4 agility and 4 passing then I'm happy. Goalies need to have 4 agility and be 6 weight or less, the rest is details.

• Like 1

Gretzky-Lindros-Davydov

Coffey-Burt

Moog

I like the kind of teams that are very good but not elite or overpowered. This is a mix of my most dominant teams (GDL 13, Blitz 11) and my favourite player in Gretzky. 

I wouldn't mind swapping Coffey for Bourque and Burt for Lowe or Dahl.

Edited by Premium
  • Like 1

LW - Lafontaine, 99, Savard,  or Damphouse (great stickhandler and passer to my C)
C - Dino or Gilmour (Light guy that can check with great one timer)
RW - Not troubled (as long as I have good LW), but the dream would be a speedster like Russ Courtnall or Bondra
LD - Not troubled, but light guy with decent agility and passing
RD - solid D-man with hard shot, like Ellet or Manson. I like lefties for shots from the blueline
G - In this order Belfour on own tier, then Fuhr, Essensa, Ranford, or someone less than 7 weight with 4 agility.  Roy though, is dogshit.*

* joke

Edited by aqualizard

LW Yzerman

C Mogilny 

RW Gartner/Klima/Bure/JR or possibly Esa

Bourque/Stevens/Chelios/Suter with Housley on D, or no Housley, and any 2 of the first 4.

G Belfour 

If it’s static Rom I’m going LW Mogilny C Klima RW Yzerman.

• 3 months later...

On 6/12/2018 at 9:13 PM, IceStorm70 said:

Jer here's what I prefer by position

LW - RH preferably 5 speed guy or agile/high STH,  (Lafontaine/Hogue/)

C - at least 4/4 A/S along with min 4/5 Shot/Acc (Roberts/Turgeon/Carson/Hull (6/3))

RW - LH 5/4 A/S with 5+ STH  (Makarov/Hawerchuck/Damphouse/Savard)

D - min 4/3 A/S and 6+ weight

Pre-pass shooting, I was 100% on having wingers play on their stick side.  Once I learned how to pass shot I pretty much require having my wingers on their off stick side.  Much better for cross crease pass shots as well as cross crease one timers. 

My C I prefer a good to great shot, weight doesn't matter as much as long as they have min 4/4 A/S. 

Defense I don't value as high, mostly because I exclusively B check and have novice CB check skills.  I just want them to have some agility to stick handle out of trouble when called upon.

Goalie give a light agile goalie (terreri/casey) that allows me to get side to side quickly with GC to try and thwart one timers.  No concern on the light weights getting exploited by ram goals.  They're very infrequent maybe because I take GC so early and often? 

I essentially agree with IceStorm's ideal team. I like my wingers a bit faster than my center unless it is Mogilny. I never want a dman with more speed than agility under any circumstances. It makes their turning circles when changing to the backwards skate wider and slower - and that blows. I'll sacrifice stickhandling for passing from my d men as I want the puck out of their hands. I don't really care how much they weigh. Unless you have Bourque or maybe Brown, you should not use the d man for many slappers so who cares about the shot? I mean I'll take a better shot, but I'm not going to use in anything except the most desperate situations. 

As for his Ice's opinion on stick side, I go back and forth. Passing is definitely crisper from the off stick side but you also have less ability to carry the puck well. I go back and forth on which side to put my guys. Against better players I generally agree with going off stick side. I am an avid stick side deke shooter with a speedster, but against someone with above average defense I don't get many opportunities to do that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, game-winning mullet said:

Please type to me about the choices of Neely and Roy over others and Belfour.

I chose Neely over others because I like Neely best. Perfect combination of size and skill.

I picked Roy because he was the best goalie in the league at the time and won the Cup and I don't care for Belfour.