NHL'94 Forums

100% Emulation Possible?

aqualizard

Ok, I know that the code lifted from old cartridges or CDs is 100% the same when run through an emulator.

BUT, the chips and architecture of the computer doing the emulating is not the same, and this must make for a different "feel" to the same games played in native format versus emulated format.

I have used Atari 2600, C-64, Colecovision emulators, and when you play the the real machines side-by-side with an emulator, their is always a different feel.

Do people agree or disagree?

aqua

This point has been argued many times, especially within the MAME community.

I think the conclusion was some games (definately not all) can have different patterns (e.g. CPU character movement) when compared to the original game on the original hardware.

In regards to the "feel", I personally think they control and react just as good as the originals. With some emulators support for overclocking the emulated CPU, it can make the experience even better as slowdown that would exist on the original can be avoided when emulated.

This point has been argued many times, especially within the MAME community.
Interesting. Where is this "MAME community? Is it a newsgroup?
I think the conclusion was some games (definately not all) can have different patterns (e.g. CPU character movement) when compared to the original game on the original hardware.
So was there a consensus, or are there still a lot of holdouts that say "There is no 100% emulation possible". In theory I am sure this is true, in practice, that has been my experience as well.

Also, do the people of this fine forum feel that "NHL 94" emulated on a PC has the same feel as on the original Sega? I do not think it has the same feel, but I can allow that it may be other factors (PC Monitor, different joystick, other prejudices) may be fooling me. Specifically, using my Microsoft Controller (a sidewinder maybe?) I remember feeling the control was different and lagging. Maybe it is in my head?

Comments are appreciated. This is a great site!

aqua

Hey aqualizard,

I can give you my feedback from what I've seen.

I agree that the console version is different from the emulator version without a doubt. Like you said, it's different architechture and indeed, an "emulator". I find playing this game (genesis and sega cd in particular) on the console is always going to be the best experience as that's what the game was built for.

The emulator is still fun, and the online play makes it even more valuable... but there's differences in AI, game speed, and over "feel" as you mentioned. An interesting thing is when you test an edited version of the game on the emulator, and then play it on the console. You certainly notice the differences.

All in all, I will still play the game on either but I know exactly what you're talking about.

-Evan

When it comes to emulation for systems like the C64, emulation is the way to go because you know how much space a C64 takes up. The biggest problem is that the keyboard in most cases, is the reason you lose the 'feel' for a game. It comes down to the controllers.