NHL'94 Forums

New League starting in September- Et Tu Brute 2 Salary Cap League

Summer League has come to a limping end, but as it was designed to exactly do, it floated us through the Summer, where not many of us are online to play at the same time.

Figure about a month for the playoffs to finish in the Summer League, and the whole "Back to School" month of August to end as well, and we should be ready for a solid group of buds to join in a league.  This will be a short league, running for ONE MONTH, then depending on league size, a quick playoffs.  It will be a great test for the state of affairs for a bigger league to setup come October, but if you won't be around in September to play your games, don't sign up.  Guys with high DNP's won't be invited to future leagues.

ROM RULES:

Weight bug fixed Blitz style (check rating added into equation), shortened penalties, Classic style "Hot/Cold" ratings but with accurate displays in game, 5 minute periods, Icing On, Offsides Off, Regular Goalie Delay plus no Y button instant goalie.

So, the ROM itself should play just like Classic, except it will have 45 second penalties and the weight bug will be fixed, so fat dudes will hit better and skinny dudes will be wimps, or for those around back in the day, play like the Blitz Rom except the ability to switch to goalies won't be faster.

Now, for the fun part:
ROSTER RULES/ DRAFT SETUP:

There will NOT be a standard draft in this league.
A roster pool of eligible players will be created from All Time rosters, including 1994 Classic rom and posted on a Google Doc.
Each player in the pool will be given a salary based on his skill/ratings.
Each team will have to fill their roster with players they pick from this pool & fit their total salaries under/up to their ASSIGNED Salary Cap.

Each Team's Total Salary Cap's will be based on each Coach's overall talent/previous records &&& his own desired handicap.

HOWEVER, it will NOT be designed to have lesser coaches with all superstars, and top coaches w/ garbage. 

SINCE IT IS SALARY CAPPED, each team will have to make choices on whether to spend their money on one great player, 2 good players, a solid team, spend money on elite goalie, or save some money for a solid bench.  THE Higher your Salary Cap is, the more good players you will be able to fit on your team.

This will make it very easy to allow top coaches to control what level of handicap they want to play with (including AJ!)

9 minutes ago, angryjay93 said:

Any expectation of number of games during regular season yet?

Nothing too crazy.   Would have to be an agreed upon number based on the number of entrants.

Assuming 2 x each coach, maybe 3-4 times vs a small set of guys who are grouped together as guys who play at the same time/similar talent level.

30 or less I'm in. I'm out on anything over. I'm not trying to suggest the length of the season, just being honest with the commitment I can make.

Edited by angryjay93

Just to clarify, there will be a LARGE pool of players from mostly Coach's ROMS, and NHL 94, and some of the modern ROMs. ( I will likely reach out to Coach Mac to help me put the player pool together!)

Each player will be given a salary based on his skill/value.

There will be no duplicates.  Once a coach selects a player onto his roster, the player is not available to other coaches.  SO, if Chef picks Lindros and fits him into his team's salary, BIG E is off the board for all other coaches.

Depending on WHO joins the league, I will determine if it will also include a DRAFT, or just rank each coach, and let them fill in their complete rosters in order of ranking (gay but simpler)
While not as fun as a draft, it will still enable every team plenty of choices to make, and once we have a league with an established player pool, player salaries, salary caps, ETC & a core group of coaches that now have experience using it..moving forward would enable some pretty great league ideas.

My big fear with doing a draft is like when we did an auction in SNES and guys had to keep dropping players to fit under the cap.

My other big fear is NOT HAVING A DRAFT!!!!!

5 minutes ago, IceStorm70 said:

Who determines the salary for each player? 

I was going to get some help to put together a decent size player pool, come up with a salary cap number that would yield a strong team, an average team and a weak team, and then try to back into what a top 5 type player needs his salary set to, then a tier the rest of the guys and make some tweaks based on position (Forward, Defense, Goalie).

I was then also going to get a few vets to privately review the pool/salary set up and help make adjustments/comments.

BUT MAINLY, me.  IF the league is a success, high interest, it would serve as a good spring board into some different type of league setups and hopefully spice up some new interest.  At this time, I'd probably then be able to tweak the salary per player and team total salary caps better as well.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, Brutus said:

I was going to get some help to put together a decent size player pool, come up with a salary cap number that would yield a strong team, an average team and a weak team, and then try to back into what a top 5 type player needs his salary set to, then a tier the rest of the guys and make some tweaks based on position (Forward, Defense, Goalie).

I was then also going to get a few vets to privately review the pool/salary set up and help make adjustments/comments.

BUT MAINLY, me.  IF the league is a success, high interest, it would serve as a good spring board into some different type of league setups and hopefully spice up some new interest.  At this time, I'd probably then be able to tweak the salary per player and team total salary caps better as well.

You could create a calc that outputs a salary based on the player's ratings (ie. a 6 speed starts at $1.2m, 5 speed $750K, 4 speed $500K....2 speed $100K).

Keep adding the other stats, weighted differently for the more important categories like spd, agl, and stk. Maybe add a mini-multiplier for the weight of each player to spice things up, too. Try to get guys between around $1m and maybe $10m for overall salary or something.

Just throwing stuff against the wall here, but excel should take care of everything after a few tests.

• Like 1

Could set tiers like A, B for prices of players, A price for a player, and then B price so like Mario A 12.5k m, B 7.5K in a 50K salary cap, and cheapest player 4K so if an A guy spends the 12.5K on Mario he will only have like 4.2K per to spend on the other 9 players for his team.

Same as Skip just shooting s**t out idea wise.

54 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Could set tiers like A, B for prices of players, A price for a player, and then B price so like Mario A 12.5k m, B 7.5K in a 50K salary cap, and cheapest player 4K so if an A guy spends the 12.5K on Mario he will only have like 4.2K per to spend on the other 9 players for his team.

Same as Skip just shooting s**t out idea wise.

I think if we were a true A/B, this might work a little better than just one team having more/less salary cap to spend.  Ie, giving Mogilny type player to an A coach is WAY crazier than to a B coach, so I could set his A level salary 3 times higher type setup.

But, we are more of an A- league w/ some A guys, and a few B guys.

So, since it a short league setup & more of a trial run, I'm going to leave it as ONE salary for all players, and adjust TEAM SALARY caps to weight the league accordingly.

Keep the ideas flowing, cause I'm going to work most of the final details out this weekend likely and try to have it all setup before end of the week.

@Brutus

Meh were very close to a true A split, You, Zepp, Ice, Tex, and AJ are all sure fire A guys, me, and Skip can fill out the bottom 2, and maybe throw like me, and skip a bone by being allowed to pick 2 players at the B Salary cap price, and then maybe you, and Tex 1, maybe Zepp also, with AJ, and Ice no players at B price.

Then in B do something like the top 3-4 B players have to use A price for 2 players, or something.

For salaries, I would look at ADP from Blitz or other WBF leagues.  Then assign a value in order, heavily weighted so a top 10 guy is like half the salary cap.  

For A guys I would just give them half as much $$ as B guys.

I have never done a league like this, but I am just thinking keep it as simple as possible.

1 hour ago, aqualizard said:

For salaries, I would look at ADP from Blitz or other WBF leagues.  Then assign a value in order, heavily weighted so a top 10 guy is like half the salary cap.  

For A guys I would just give them half as much $$ as B guys.

I have never done a league like this, but I am just thinking keep it as simple as possible.

Yep, I think this is a good idea.

You can do some weird stuff to figure out the values to give the players, like consider many trades of 2 players for 2 players... creating a kind of algebraic system of equations that can be solved... Say Roenick+Dineen = Sundin+Sakic, that's a 4 variable equation... Then you come up with other combinations that include those and other players. At some point you can solve the system of equations... You won't be able to get exact values, but you can find values that are close to working.

And yeah just giving players different amounts of money is easier than giving players different salaries.

GDL salary cap league would be cool.......draft and salary cap would stop people like hokkee from trading away his stars to GM night predators.....but there would have to be a minimum salary cap for that to work....adp would be the salary ...need some math guys to work on this. also starting line cap and one for the bench .....draft would be short and only starting Line......bench draft will start with lowest cap at the top....sober kg is on this ur welcome!

Edited by kgman