NHL'94 Forums

NHL '94 Record Keeper

DaDonch44

Thanks man i worked. So what is your time frame for version 3?

PS. it looks great

no problem... glad i could help...

hehe im not putting a timeframe on it, b/c i could set a date and then it would be done a year from now... <_<

but i have to finish up the awards, then a coaches section to keep track of multiple users at once (kinda like the teams stats, and rankings but for users), some kinda of manual game entry (in case a game gets desync'd or something), and hopefully some kind of schedule generator (probably just to a text file, so it can be printed out for reference)

and i plan on having support for NHL '94, 2007, NHLPA '93 and SNES '94

but check back periodically... i try to work on it a little bit every day in between playing games... :P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kudos on maybe adding support for snes dude! Just that you consider it is really sweet. :D

no problem at all... its pretty much just changing offset numbers from the Genesis to the SNES...

and of course that couldnt be done without you finding all of those offsets ... so you deserve all the credit there :P

hey dadonch how will version 3 work? will we have to use the save states to make all of the data show up in your record keeper? so will be playing a mini season be a possibility?

hey dadonch how will version 3 work? will we have to use the save states to make all of the data show up in your record keeper? so will be playing a mini season be a possibility?

yeah it uses save states to import all the stats...

i will be adding an option for manual game entry, that can be used for games that have disconnected and the players resumed in the middle...

that will probably just take the game score, and update the standings but not effect player or team stats

playing a season was one of my main projects and will be possible... you can play as whatever team(s) you want and just simulate the other games in the league (using the demo mode in NHL 94, and taking a save state)

dadonch just a couple more questions for ya...will you have to put the save states in 1 at a time or could you have a whole folder saved up to input...also when the season would end (however long a person plays), is there a way to format the playoff tree as to how the season ended? keep up the great work man!

dadonch just a couple more questions for ya...will you have to put the save states in 1 at a time or could you have a whole folder saved up to input...also when the season would end (however long a person plays), is there a way to format the playoff tree as to how the season ended? keep up the great work man!

You will be able to upload one file at a time (which is when the stat extractor shows that games stats) or upload an entire folder (it will auto import all the games but no stats will show up on the stat extractor window, it will tell you that all the files you have choosen have been imported...i want to have it eventually create webpages with individual game box scores)

and as the playoff tree is now... while the season is going on it will auto update according to the standings (with tiebreakers) so it will always be "If the Playoffs Started Today". When the season is over (however long it is set for), you will no longer be able to enter regular season games into the stat extractor, only games between playoff matchups.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No, I'm just progressing slowly on it to make sure it has everything I want in it and that everything works perfectly.

Currently I am working on the program outputting webpages.

But hopefully once I get that done... I'll just have a few odds and ends to clean up.

Thanks for the patience though. It will get done eventually.. :blink:

For a Sample...

http://dadonch44.freeserverhost.net/NHL...pages/index.htm

Yeah, I was going to ask if the program would work with hacked ROMs?

right now the rosters are just text files that contain the players' names, position, jersey numbers, and overall ratings...

so all you would have to do is change the text files and it would work with any rom...

after i get this version done, i think ive said it before, i want to make versions compatible with 93, SNES 94, and 2007 or 2008 ROMs including: (standings alignments, OTLs, etc) based on the version.

i want to look into possibly having it update the rosters by extracting them directly from the ROM itself.

DaDonch, if you would be doing a season (and controlling just one or a few teams manually), you would have to play all the CPU vs. CPU games and upload the stats. Correct?

Unfortunately yes, I havent found a magical way to have it simulate games yet... :lol:

but when i was "simming" mine... i just had about 6 GENs windows open at the same time, and then just keep rotating which game i would fast forward through based on which game was farthest along. Then when the game was over save the state and load up another game.

It is a bit tedious, but it goes surprisingly quick... i think i did about 90 games in an hour, but i was having more fun just picking two random teams and playing the games myself.

Oh no problem at all, I was just making sure I understood correctly...

When I was younger and I would do my own leagues with all stats and standings written by hand, I had to simulate all the other league games (CPU vs. CPU) that I wasn't involved in. It was almost fun just watching the game play itself. Now, at least I could have 6 GENS games open at one time! :lol:

Your idea is awesome and it looks great so far. If you could get the webpages to look aesthetically like the layout/font/background of the corresponding game (i.e. different looks for '93, '94, '98, etc.), that would really make it look official IMO.

But anyways, you are seriously kicking some butt, brilliant work! :)

ya this looks amazing, and looks like alota hard work.

BHF kept talking about a place to upload stats for all your exhib games, into a database online...where you could see everybodies stats

obviously this is just like a stats league thing but with random exhibitions, would this be possible with your prog? each user can generate their own sched, say i want to play hokkeefan 7gm series i would click on his home/away and make some games and upload em, something like that. no set schedule, all users would have own ID/pass just like GDL.

just an idea, wondering if its possible?

ya this looks amazing, and looks like alota hard work.

BHF kept talking about a place to upload stats for all your exhib games, into a database online...where you could see everybodies stats

obviously this is just like a stats league thing but with random exhibitions, would this be possible with your prog? each user can generate their own sched, say i want to play hokkeefan 7gm series i would click on his home/away and make some games and upload em, something like that. no set schedule, all users would have own ID/pass just like GDL.

just an idea, wondering if its possible?

The "Stat Extractor" is going to have a radio button option to choose whether its an exhibition or a season game.

and after the save state is "loaded "into the program (meaning the stats show up on the screen but are not added to the rest of the already accumulated stats), the proper coach can be selected for each team.. (i.e. Habs for Montreal and Hokkee for Boston) and then you select "Import Game" and it will then add all the stats with the previously uploaded stats.

When Exhibition is selected the Team's Stats (MTL or BOS) and the Players' Stats are not affected. Only the Coach's Stats will be changing.

When Season is selected the Teams', Players' and Coaches stats will be changed.

I want to add something to the Box Scores page to show the difference; like have a column with an "S" for Season and an "E" for Exhibition. Or just separate them into 2 sections... b/c it will be hard to browse through 100s if not 1000s of box scores to find a particular one.

But, yes Exhibitions will definitely be possible.

As far as actually using the program online, I'm not sure if / how it would work. I havent tested it in that capacity. Right now if i was going to run a league, I would probably have to have everyone send me Save State files, run them through the .exe and then maybe upload the website once a day or something. But thanks for the suggestion... I'll see if I can work something out.

I hope I answered your question... :lol:

• 1 month later...
hey donch any news on this as of late?

hey hort,

now that the GDL is over (for me) and i got all my personal events outta the way (wedding)

ill be hitting this hard again so i can get it finished (or at least a version out for testing/bug finding for everyone)

i hit a snag when adding Coache's All Time Records, somehow its messing up the team and player all time records. so my next project is to figure that out.

but after that i think i just have to tie up some loose ends (couple of labels, and some webpages) and a 94 version should be ready to go...

ill cross my fingers and say 2 weeks, maybe sooner, maybe a little later (depends on how many little things i have to clean up).... but ill be pissed at myself if its longer than that. :)

ill cross my fingers and say 2 weeks, maybe sooner, maybe a little later (depends on how many little things i have to clean up).... but ill be pissed at myself if its longer than that. :)

Great to hear. Been looking forward to this.

Great to hear. Been looking forward to this.

Same here! Hit me up on AIM if you need help beta testing. Is your rom supporting only the default rom or is it reading player names from the rom itself? I've been thinking of this myself, I mean it shouldn't be impossible to read stats and stuff from the save games whilst reading player names from the rom.. But a hell of a lot of work..

One way to do it might be to keep the player names in .txt files instead of hard coding them... I wanted to do that in delphi but couldn't figure out how...

I've seen other games using something like this:

[Anaheim Mighty Ducks]
Goalie 1
Goalie 2

[Boston Bruins]
Goalie 1
Goalie 2

Thus making it very dynamic.. I'm especially keeping the 30 team roms in mind, not that I'm playing using gens but for the other people. That brings me to SNES, are you still planning on supporting it?

Great work anyhow! Looking forward to it!

Cheers!

Same here! Hit me up on AIM if you need help beta testing. Is your rom supporting only the default rom or is it reading player names from the rom itself? I've been thinking of this myself, I mean it shouldn't be impossible to read stats and stuff from the save games whilst reading player names from the rom.. But a hell of a lot of work..

One way to do it might be to keep the player names in .txt files instead of hard coding them... I wanted to do that in delphi but couldn't figure out how...

I've seen other games using something like this:

[Anaheim Mighty Ducks]
Goalie 1
Goalie 2

[Boston Bruins]
Goalie 1
Goalie 2

Thus making it very dynamic.. I'm especially keeping the 30 team roms in mind, not that I'm playing using gens but for the other people. That brings me to SNES, are you still planning on supporting it?

Great work anyhow! Looking forward to it!

Cheers!

i really want to have it eventually read the rosters and attributes from the ROMs. But for this version anyway, it will only be compatible with the original 94. Ive been teasing this thing for almost a year now and i really just want to get a working version done and then let everyone have at it. Then maybe for next version add more stuff to it. Thats my problem i start something and then i brainstorm and think of even more to add. so im going to finish what i have going right now and then work on adding more to it.

I might leave the Awards off of this one, b/c they arent quite where i want them... its been so long since i worked on that section i forget how far along i was.

I will be working on the all time records problem tonight.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

I knew I shouldnt have put a deadline on myself :D

I was aiming for this weekend and it was looking very good... i just had to fix 2 things and then start debugging.

Unfortunately one of the things I need to fix is potentially a bigger problem than originally thought (it has to do with the logic that determines an exhibition, season, and postseason game).

I have to take an older copy that works fine and try to piece together what I have added in the last couple of weeks, to figure out what is wrong. Luckily its just one part of the program, but its about 2800 lines of code.

So, hopefully it won't take me too long, but it will probably end up being a little longer than I had planned. I apologize for the delays.

I knew I shouldnt have put a deadline on myself :D

I was aiming for this weekend and it was looking very good... i just had to fix 2 things and then start debugging.

Unfortunately one of the things I need to fix is potentially a bigger problem than originally thought (it has to do with the logic that determines an exhibition, season, and postseason game).

I have to take an older copy that works fine and try to piece together what I have added in the last couple of weeks, to figure out what is wrong. Luckily its just one part of the program, but its about 2800 lines of code.

So, hopefully it won't take me too long, but it will probably end up being a little longer than I had planned. I apologize for the delays.

You just do whatever you have to do to get it to work. I have your first version and it is very cool, and I, like everyone else, am just looking forward to this whenever it gets done.