NHL'94 Forums

REFERENCE: Tile Molester reference screenshots

wboy

The linked zip file below contains a collection of screen shot references that should be more than enough to educate yourself on loading and editing the graphics and palettes within the NHL 94 - 30 Team ROM:

http://hexaddicts.com/nose/tmr30v1.0.zip

EDIT: link dead, here is the file -smozoma
tmr30v1.0.zip

EDIT: Here is a link to all the images on imgur.com so you don't need to download them: http://imgur.com/a/RqZf3

A few samples have been attached to this post to give you an idea of how they appear and how to work with them.

Changing the Genesis palettes within TM can be a bit dicky and inaccurate especially if you are attempting to change an entire palette of 16 etc. Personally, I prefer to enter my palettes directly with a hex editor after determining my palette by using NOSE's color sniper utility, or building it manually with the color gradient square.

More advanced stuff (like the optimized importing of title screen backgrounds etc.) may follow in the hopefully not-to-distant future.

Happy gfx hax0ring,
wboy.

post-11-1169412555_thumb.png

post-11-1169412608_thumb.png

post-253-0-71731800-1479158064_thumb.png

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Nice job wboy! ;) We should make a reference file for tile molester with all the palettes and bookmarks, that should be great!

I considered just doing exactly that (the TM reference xml containg all relevant bookmarks), but then thought would then get lazy and not bother to learn how to use TM's shortcut features. That and the fact its pretty easy for one to bookmark the offsets and palettes themselves.

How to you edited screens and graphics with TM? I tried paste jpg files from the internet and it messes up the rom. So how do you editing the screens. I am now working a rom called NCAA Hockey 2007 and of course have the rosters and uniforms straight thanks to you NOSE NHL 94 editor.

How to you edited screens and graphics with TM? I tried paste jpg files from the internet and it messes up the rom. So how do you editing the screens. I am now working a rom called NCAA Hockey 2007 and of course have the rosters and uniforms straight thanks to you NOSE NHL 94 editor.

Each tile is 8x8 pixels. As an example if you take the EA Sports screen it is 40 x 28 tiles, meaning its is 40x8 = 320 x 28x8 = 224 pixels.

When you import a graphic file into TM, make sure you import a image that matches the pixel dimensions (e.g 320x224 as calculated in the example above). Failing to do so can mean when you insert a bigger graphic than expected it can overwrite other required/import bytes that may result in game crashes or odd looking graphics.

This means you will have to resize down (and possible crop) the image you sourced from the internet down to the appropriate size using your favorite graphics editing program, save it as a BMP of PNG (I don't recommend JPG as it can add unwanted artifacts), and then insert it into TM.

You said sometime ago you wanted to hack NHLPA 93

Not so much "you" as in I, more so "mack" wants me too. Wouldn't be doing it for the disrespectful likes of 77 etc, thats for sure!

is that in the works, and if it is how is it coming.
slowly, but I had a break thru the other night learning how to perminantly disable fighting. I don't believe in fighting. :)
And which version is your personal favorite?

EA Hockey & 94 (with the Hyperspeed hack) a honourable alternative.

thats okay cuz when you do make the 30 team for 93, im gonna play you a game and pound you every fight... =)

Well *apparently* I've been able to hack a season mode in which you'll find more interesting!

Why?

Well, because on every 28 day cycle within the season you'll be skating around while bleeding all over the rink you biatch! :lol:

• 2 years later...

I think the palette location for "02. 2nd Splash Screen - NHL Stanley Cup.png" is supposed to be 1121368

EDIT: hmm.. might depend on the ROM

Edited by smozoma

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Yes... This is quite an old topic and have no idea if wboy's even "alive" anymore, but if he happens to be here anymore, could he tell me the offsets of the team logos in the ice and the menu screen.

Centre-ice logos are shown in picture 17 in the file in wboy's post. Hopefully they are the same as the menu screen logos.

The first one is at offset 1D6F02. Use Tile Molester 0.16 ( http://www.romhacking.net/utils/109/).

Edited by smozoma

Centre-ice logos are shown in picture 17 in the file in wboy's post. Hopefully they are the same as the menu screen logos.

The first one is at offset 1D6F02. Use Tile Molester 0.16 ( http://www.romhacking.net/utils/109/).

The menu screen logos are picture 15. Note that the palette size is set to 480. you need to hit the big right arrow next to the palette each time you advance to the next logo, to get the right colours.

Unfortunately, there is no indication of where the successive palettes are for the centre ice logos.. anyone know where they are?

1. Open up a version of the rom you're using in NOSE

2. Go to Options > Offset > Decimal.

3. Click the S for Strips.

4. Look at the number above your player wearing the home uniform.

This is number is the color palette for that teams uniform. They change with every team, obviously. Make sure you change to that color palette before you try editing the logo for that team. If you do anything to the logo before you change the color, you will screw up that logo and possibly more. I've ruined multiple roms by doing that and failing to save previous versions. I don't make that mistake anymore, haha.

• 1 year later...

My problem is that I can't change the palette. I'm trying to replace Phoenix with Winnipeg and can't get the palette to change to the blues and reds I have for Winnipeg's jerseys. The jerseys display fine but I cannot change the palette for the ice-logo or the team selection logo.

• 1 month later...

Really good screenshots, thanks for sharing!

But what if I want to do this on the original ROM? Or, Original ROM (after the checksum fix).

Does anyone have the address for the "select teams" logos, splash screens and such for original ROM (good gen v3)?

I have references for all the center ice logos that works on the original (chk-fix) rom, maybe that was your post as well.... would be amazing to have the "select team" and splash logos as well, and banners....

Thanks

you won't be able to find those, or at least edit those...well you could i suppose, but it wouldn't be worth the huge amount of time. it has to do with the compression of those graphics in the rom.

Okay, thanks.

If I use the 30 team rom, then I could change them? I don't know where to get that ROM though...

I tried a rom called NHL 94 2011 or something like that. It had custom splash screens and everything editable when I opened it up in TileMolester, however, I don't know if it's possible to play that on actual hardware using the Everdrive MD (SD loader), because it's bigger than 1024kb

Okay, thanks.

If I use the 30 team rom, then I could change them? I don't know where to get that ROM though...

I tried a rom called NHL 94 2011 or something like that. It had custom splash screens and everything editable when I opened it up in TileMolester, however, I don't know if it's possible to play that on actual hardware using the Everdrive MD (SD loader), because it's bigger than 1024kb

I think there were lots of games over 1MB, so it should be fine.

There are some ROMs in the downloads section.

I think there were lots of games over 1MB, so it should be fine.

There are some ROMs in the downloads section.

Yeah I just play NHL 2010 from swos-mahavishnu on my actual megadrive console and it worked fine (2048kb)

Is there some kind of "perfect starting ROM" that stores "Select Team"-logos, splash screens and ice logos in an easy editable manner, preferrably with bookmark references for tile molester, including palette bookmarks.

If not, there should be one ROM like that so that everyone could easily make their own versions of leagues and stuff. Also loving the net crease in the NHL 2010 I tried....

The NHL 2010 and NHL 2011 ROMs both have the splash screens stored in the bin in a wysiwyg manner... So, if there could be a reference for offsets and palettes it would be very good for people not having much coding skills to make new versions :)

Yeah I just play NHL 2010 from swos-mahavishnu on my actual megadrive console and it worked fine (2048kb)

Is there some kind of "perfect starting ROM" that stores "Select Team"-logos, splash screens and ice logos in an easy editable manner, preferrably with bookmark references for tile molester, including palette bookmarks.

If not, there should be one ROM like that so that everyone could easily make their own versions of leagues and stuff. Also loving the net crease in the NHL 2010 I tried....

The NHL 2010 and NHL 2011 ROMs both have the splash screens stored in the bin in a wysiwyg manner... So, if there could be a reference for offsets and palettes it would be very good for people not having much coding skills to make new versions :)

I like your idea for "perfect starting ROM" with the tile molester bookmarks.

The 2MB ROMs have all the main graphics decompressed, which is why you can wysiwyg edit them. someone should create a nice ROM editing package with all the bookmarks some time..

as it is currently, i think these screenshots are the best resource we have.

I like your idea for "perfect starting ROM" with the tile molester bookmarks.

The 2MB ROMs have all the main graphics decompressed, which is why you can wysiwyg edit them. someone should create a nice ROM editing package with all the bookmarks some time..

as it is currently, i think these screenshots are the best resource we have.

I think I'm on my way of doing what I just asked for. Have a tile molester xml now with bookmarks to almost everything. According to wboy's screenshots the palettes for team rink palettes can change when you alter rosters... He said to use NOSE but on a mac and my second hard drive has XP but it just won't boot. Have to run off the XP CD disc and run a chkdsk I believe... Cause Linux is on that same hard drive and it boots up just fine...

Will post the xml in a new thread when I'm done with it. Will also post links to wboy's threads as well as the website with the IPS patch to patch the NHL UE ! rom to 30 team rom v1.0b

wboy's screenshots are still as valuable as before. It's just that it will be nice to have bookmarks to all the places it refers too

Edited by perkabrod

i've long considered doing this because i always had trouble remembering the exact location of everything and having the palettes right there would be so easy. can't believe i never have, but glad you are. will be nice.

i've long considered doing this because i always had trouble remembering the exact location of everything and having the palettes right there would be so easy. can't believe i never have, but glad you are. will be nice.

I added one for the net as well. Following the guide here:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11658-how-to-altering-the-net-tiles-and-palette/

However, the net already looks amazing in the 30 team wboy 1.0b rom.

That guide suggests changing some hex stuff, but actually when I go to the palette it tells in the guide

"2. Palette> Import From> This File> Offset: 366884> Size: 64> Byte Order: Motorola> Format: 9bpp BGR (Genesis).

NOTE: cycle to the 2nd palette (arrow on the right) in the bottom tool bar after this palette is loaded."

...it looks like the correct palette RIGHT AT PALETTE NUMBER ONE. It suggests going to palette #2 but that always mess my whole net up...

# 1

Another thing, I was messing around trying to find the player indication star. Has anyone got that offset and canvas written down? I'm a real newbie to this so I have no experience in "how to solve the puzzle"...

Here's a screengrab, at least it's on the way..

http://djoman.dyndns.org/rom-edit/NHL94-player-indicator.jpg

# 2

And how in the name of.. do you know which palette should be used for that star?

In the example I'm using the same as for the net (palette slot 1, not slot 2 as the guide suggests, at 366884)

# 3

If anyone have notes or something, please post here. Locations and palettes for stuff. Like the Zamboni or whatever :)

Gonna test the latest version of the rom on the megadrive right away so that I don't make a mod of the game only to realize it doesn't actually work on the console :o

Good night

Edited by perkabrod