NHL'94 Forums

HOW TO: Edit the scoreboard ?

Matt-san

Hello ! I'm new on this board and first I'd like to congratulate the hackers for what they're doing for NHL 94, the best hockey game so far :) Thanks to make the game's revival possible today !

My question is : can we edit the default scoreboard in a more "european" way ? I mean, to have "Home - Away" instead of "Away - Home".

Thanks in advance :lol:

Sadly, I don't think this can be done without EA releasing the source code of the game. Right now our capabilities are basically limited to actually editing the code itself. I suspect that to do what you want to do would require a reprogramming of the code that tells the game which score to display and where. It might be possible if this is based on offsets AND we were able to locate the offsets, not only for the number of goals but also for the team banners.

Well thats what I was talking about. There is something in the code that tells the scoreboard to display the score and banner of the visiting team on the left and the home team on the right. In order to get at that, we would probably need to look at the source code of the game which is just not available to us and quite frankly, probably never will be.

If there was a way to invert the names on the scoreboard without the source code, it would be very very complicated if it was even possible.

Well thats what I was talking about. There is something in the code that tells the scoreboard to display the score and banner of the visiting team on the left and the home team on the right. In order to get at that, we would probably need to look at the source code of the game which is just not available to us and quite frankly, probably never will be.

If there was a way to invert the names on the scoreboard without the source code, it would be very very complicated if it was even possible.

Yeah but I was really talking about THIS scoreboard :lol: :

nhl94-2.jpg

But I guess it's the same thing : source code.

Yes...Thank you anyway :lol:

It's possible! I haven't made notes (so I'll have to work it out again) but below is a screen shot that shows that you can move the x y position of the items, and even make the boxes smaller. The example doesn't have the home/away team initials swapped, but I ensure you it can be done.

I was going to use the smaller scoreboard sized box in the 30 team rom but left it out. I've even sampled having the timer on the same time as the scoreboard etc.

Where are you wanting to use this? In your own hack, or are you wanting others to implement it in their hacks?

If that is the Euro way, what is the US/Can way. Same as currently in the NHL 94?

post-11-1169944309_thumb.png

• Like 1

It's possible! I haven't made notes (so I'll have to work it out again) but below is a screen shot that shows that you can move the x y position of the items, and even make the boxes smaller. The example doesn't have the home/away team initials swapped, but I ensure you it can be done.

Wow ! This is just amazing !! How did you do that B) ?

Where are you wanting to use this? In your own hack, or are you wanting others to implement it in their hacks?
Well, this would be for an own hack but I think it could be also useful if you want to do an international team hack or European leagues one because the standard scoreboard then would be "Home - Away".
If that is the Euro way, what is the US/Can way. Same as currently in the NHL 94?

Yeah, absolutely, it's "Away - Home", in any American sport by the way (NBA, MLB, NFL...). But for Europeans like me (I'm French), it's just not "natural". And besides it's not really logical since the Home team is supposedly given the advantage in its own arena. The "Home - Away" scoreboard has been the standard everywhere in the world (even in Australia :lol: )...except in North America. Let's fix it :P

The "Home - Away" scoreboard has been the standard everywhere in the world (even in Australia :lol: )...except in North America. Let's fix it B)

wtf, how imperial of them! :P

anyway in short, take any hacked 94 rom and change as follows:

0x00012C8E = 1A to 18

0x00012CA0 = 18 to 1A

I've done a nice little pic and some notes that will explain it all in more detail, but you have to wait a few days or so (or weeks or month or years etc... you know me..) to finish it properly and I'll post the goodies then.

I've done a nice little pic and some notes that will explain it all in more detail, but you have to wait a few days or so (or weeks or month or years etc... you know me..) to finish it properly and I'll post the goodies then.

Looking forward to it thumb.gif

Now the next thing to do is to fix it for the other matches' scores in the pause menu.

to avoid confusion, please attach highlighted examples of ALL the scores your are talking about. I know what exists, but in playoff mode etc. is their definate proof that the Home team is at the bottom in those screens etc.... to justify the change.... if you know what I mean.

to avoid confusion, please attach highlighted examples of ALL the scores your are talking about. I know what exists, but in playoff mode etc. is their definate proof that the Home team is at the bottom in those screens etc.... to justify the change.... if you know what I mean.

Yeah, sure. Here are the scores to "swap" to Home - Away format :

post-845-1170084451_thumb.jpg

The default exhibition match period pause menu.

post-845-1170084480_thumb.jpg

And of course the default playoffs period pause menu.

Attached is what I've found to date.

x & y refer to the tile position (in Hex) on screen remembering each tile is 8x8 pixels, there 32x28 tiles is a 256x224 sized screen (used in-game).

l = length in tiles, h = height in tiles.

I tried looking for similar data that would flip the other scores shown during intermission etc. Sadly, it controlled in another manor which I've yet to find, though I did find the data to move one of the window instances (during the penalty box animation).

I've also looked for the co-ordinates for the energy bar/line change screen's and other stuff etc, but again no success.

Most annoying part is I haven't worked out how to move the game timer, PWRPLAY text and associated time... the rom isn't storing the data as per what has been found sadly.

PS. Evan, the forum/post automatically trims multiple/grouped spaces which stuffs formatted spacing up (even in Courier New). Is this a forum control that can be disabled?

pos_xy.txt

post-11-1170506720_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for my late answer, I was quite busy. Anyway thanks for sharing your knowledge, even though it's too technical for me B)

So you didn't figure out yet how to swap the scores ? And what about this ?

Had a look at the time and but no didn't work it out. Haven't had the time to investigate further....

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Timer Related
=============
x y l h
-- -- -- --
0X00012C28 = BF00 1700 7009 7205; Timer Window

x y
-- --
0X00012C40 = BF01 1800; Period Text
0x00012D80 = BF01 1900; EA Timer Logo
0x00012B1C = BF01 1900; Power Play Team Intials

Score Related
=============
x y l h
-- -- -- --
0X00012C7A = BF17 1700 7008 7205; Score Window

x y
-- --
0x00012C8C = BF18 1A00; Home Team Initals
0x00012C9E = BF18 1800; Visitors Team Initials
0x00012D1E = 001C ; X axis tile for Home/Vistors score.

Other Scores Related
====================
x y l h
-- -- -- --
0x000134FE = BF03 1700 701A 7205; Other Scores during Penalty Box Animation.

Edited by nhlpa93easn
  • Like 1

I think part of this info could help me with my rom. I'm looking to have the scoreclock and scoreboard show only one-timer goals. I think I have offsets now for the scoreclock (not the pause or endgame scoreboard), and for the storage of the stats (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/14469-reference-gens-stat-extract-offsets/)

Need to figure out how to put it all together.

If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by jer_33

• 4 years later...

I made some discoveries thanks to this topic that add on to the codes that wboy found, which I showcased in my smallest goal rom.

The codes that wboy found were fantastic, and I used those to search around for more codes and managed to find two additional codes that allowed me to make important changes to the score and timer overlays. Here there are :

Timer Related
=============

x y
-- --
0x00012AEF = BF01 1920; Pwr Play Text
0x00012AF8 = BF01 1A20; Power Play Clock

So these additional codes allow for more customization of the position of both the score and the timer overlays as you can see in the smallest goal rom. With these 2 additions to what wboy found, now you can pretty much move around everything . . . EXCEPT for one thing the Game Clock. The code to edit the position of Game Clock has been elusive. I searched and searched but was unable to find a code to move the game clock.

I tried moving the score overlay and team/score text to the top right hand corner of the screen but unless you put it at the top edge of the screen, it turns out that the bottom edge will be erased every time there's a face-off due to the face-off windows that pop up when there is a face-off.

However if we can find the Game Clock code, the game clock could be put below the score and probably wouldn't get cut-off by the face-off windows since it's a running clock and thus stays on the screen no matter what. So the needle in the haystick here is the code that moves the game clock. If anyone finds that they'd be a real hero. But at least now we have a list of everything else, including the Power Play Clock an the "PWR Play" text which were big discoveries for me.