NHL'94 Forums

NHL 95 PC! A hackers dream!!! anyone play it???

mariomania

Quite simply the best hockey game ever. This game has been dormant for years, overshadowed by the console 94's. Very few people had this game, but my friend did, and I never forgot how it blew my mind. Thanks to mariomania for igniting the soon to be inferno and massive thanks to wboy for translating the techanese. NHL95 PC forever!

post-885-1171946188_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, after reading all your informative/helpful post, I've finally got my game running. However, the sound and gameplay is very choppy. The game overall is very laggy. Can someone help me out and figure out how to fix this?

I am trying the ctrl+f8 and ctrl+f12 but it just stays choppy, if not choppier!

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks alot guys!

Ctrl+F8 is frameskip, so if you do that too much you're going to lose a lot of fluidity of the gameplay. Ctrl+F12 till it gets to about 11000 and try to put the frameskip at 1, maybe that will help. Also, close out any other programs you're running or any software running that is resource-demanding.

I also forgot to mention a mistake I made - rather than using the EA Graphics Editor to edit the graphics, it is MUCH MUCH easier to use NHLinfo. Just click the bar for editing graphics at the beginning instead of the one for editing ratings/data. Just looking around, I can open the player pictures/logos with no problem, but when opening the rink it won't display it properly, do any of you NHL 94 graphic editing geniuses have any idea what it might take to fix that?

when opening the rink it won't display it properly, do any of you NHL 94 graphic editing geniuses have any idea what it might take to fix that?

Same thing happens to me when I open rink in NHLinfo. I think the problem is that we need load proper palette-file but, when I am trying to do that NHLinfo doesn't find palette from hockey-directory.

ok, I finally got it going on my PC and dont think its everything that some of you guys say.

big plus is the season mode of course, but the cpu just suck on creating offense. the game plays way too slow, as I dont feel any speed at all and the only way to score seems to be the onetimer. the only other great thing are the small graphic add ons.

I still say NHL 94 for Gens kills it as it has the most diverse ways to score out of any other hockey game made.

Yeah, it kinda sucks that the CPU doesn't generate much of an offensive attack, or generate much of an opposition at all- that would be pretty much the only drawback I've seen (although it is a fairly large one). The CPU in the Gens version wasn't much of an opponent either, so in that respect, I think they're the same. If NHL95 PC had today's AI or maybe an easy-medium-hard setting, that would be pretty cool. I mean, I've played only a handful of games on my season and I have players with 20-30 points and they're +15, +20, yada yada.

I'm still not gonna dis it, it's a great game! B)

Same thing happens to me when I open rink in NHLinfo. I think the problem is that we need load proper palette-file but, when I am trying to do that NHLinfo doesn't find palette from hockey-directory.

What do you do to load a palette file? I know there is a way around it, because back when nhl95.com was around, some guy made a rink that had a skated on appearance, and had ads on the ice and boards and stuff. I've edited the in-game logos and the EA desk screen and stuff, so I know it's possible, and if we can do this, the possibilities really are endless. If you look in the /hockey folder, there are rink.pal, rinkpal.qfs files so maybe that has something to do with it? Man, we should really try to get this going.

Yeah, it kinda sucks that the CPU doesn't generate much of an offensive attack, or generate much of an opposition at all- that would be pretty much the only drawback I've seen (although it is a fairly large one). The CPU in the Gens version wasn't much of an opponent either, so in that respect, I think they're the same. If NHL95 PC had today's AI or maybe an easy-medium-hard setting, that would be pretty cool. I mean, I've played only a handful of games on my season and I have players with 20-30 points and they're +15, +20, yada yada.

I'm still not gonna dis it, it's a great game! B)

Somebody made a post about an AI editor for 95, does anyone know anything about that? It might sound crazy, but I play 20 minute periods, and I play with the keyboard, and it makes it a little more challenging to set up one timers and aim passes and stuff, and I actually like that a lot, it makes the game more fun and challenging, where I'm focusing more on setting up passes and scoring chances, and maybe I just haven't played 94 enough, but I swear by the fact that if you're playing a good team, they generate a lot of offense, the teams with less talent don't generate as much.

JED301b.zip

Ok, so HERE'S the original .zip file for the NHL 95 jersey editor, complete with manual and everything. Also included are updated jerseys for all the teams (I'm not sure what season, maybe 97 or 98) - so if you want to keep the original jerseys make sure to back up homepals.bin, awaypals.bin, and crests4.ppv. Cool stuff, anyone with the game should at least play around with it. Let me know if you try it out.

What do you do to load a palette file? I know there is a way around it, because back when nhl95.com was around, some guy made a rink that had a skated on appearance, and had ads on the ice and boards and stuff. I've edited the in-game logos and the EA desk screen and stuff, so I know it's possible, and if we can do this, the possibilities really are endless. If you look in the /hockey folder, there are rink.pal, rinkpal.qfs files so maybe that has something to do with it? Man, we should really try to get this going.

This is from GFXPAK-utility file:

Q: How to view NHL'95 RINK.QFS palette correctly?

A: select RINKPAL.QFS, save !pal (F-key) to current directory with name

RINK.PAL (or anything that ends to .PAL). Press SHIFT+P to load palette

file(s). Select RINK.QFS and press 'P' until correct palette is in use.

Other images without palettes can also be viewed with correct palette

this way.

I tried that, after saving and pressing SHIFT+P, NHLinfo asks "Directory containing palette files". If I type palette.pal or c:\hockey\palette.pal, it still says "No palette files found". Saved palette file is in c:\hockey directory.

I know too that this is possible, because I have modified rink by myself in 90's. Back then I was using older DOS-version of NHLinfo. Maybe I will install DOS and try to find that old version somewhere B)

Somebody made a post about an AI editor for 95, does anyone know anything about that?

I haven't heard about AI editor, but I think there was new .exe available on the net, somewhere in old days. I think that same guy who make it, did also Nagano Olympics-rink and some kind of national teams version of NHL95 rosters...

I just tried gfxpak on command line. First I found my old rink in pcx-format and I imported it in NHL95. I manage to change the rink and load that palette with it, but it get little bit messy (picture below). Later I exported original rink to png-file, but when I opened it, ice color was green :D Otherwise importing/exporting rink works but something is wrong with palettes...

post-341-1172240181_thumb.png

I've attached the NHLINFO editor if you guys want to edit rosters. I think I ran across a problem with it in the past where I edited some players' shot hands and for some odd reason, all the Bruins appeared to play in over 82-games when I simmed a season (I think they played something like 255 games and they won all the awards at the end of the season!).

Let me know if any of you run across a similar problem. There were some errors in the game with players being given the wrong shot hand (Kurri and McSorley on the Kings in particular).

NHLINFO.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another editor with a draft thing. Check it out! :D

Works for both NHL93 and NHL95 for PC.

I also have a lot of other stuff collected from my career as a NHL95 for PC player. I used to browse all the internet to look for rosters, add-on, jerseys etc. back in the good old days. B)

nhl9395.zip

I've edited most of the stuff that there is to edit in this game (Centre Ice logos, Jerseys, made a 3rd jersey switcher, Menu logos & backgrounds, etc)... I'll post more when about it I have time, right now I'm at work.

PS: I was the one who made the 98 Nagano pack way back when.

Also, to the person that says the game has no speed, its possible DOSBOX isn't configured properly either. The game does have a slightly slower pace overall, but the intensity of the game does pick up at times and guys like Bure still fly around the ice. I think the biggest thing is that the AI is much better in the PC version than in the Genesis ones. I can win every game at will on the Genesis, but on PC sometimes the AI will just put up a wall and you won't be able to get anything by them.

The biggest things though are the inability to play this game online and the lack of 30 teams. Perhaps one day they'll add netplay to DOSBOX though.

I've edited most of the stuff that there is to edit in this game (Centre Ice logos, Jerseys, made a 3rd jersey switcher, Menu logos & backgrounds, etc)... I'll post more when about it I have time, right now I'm at work.

Also, to the person that says the game has no speed, its possible DOSBOX isn't configured properly either. The game does have a slightly slower pace overall, but the intensity of the game does pick up at times and guys like Bure still fly around the ice. I think the biggest thing is that the AI is much better in the PC version than in the Genesis ones. I can win every game at will on the Genesis, but on PC sometimes the AI will just put up a wall and you won't be able to get anything by them.

The biggest things though are the inability to play this game online and the lack of 30 teams. Perhaps one day they'll add netplay to DOSBOX though.

Have to concur abut the defensive AI. They really batten the hatches, at times it can be hard to penetrate into the offensive zone (w/offsides enabled).

On the other hand the AI doesn't muster much of an offence. Rarely will the CPU put one past me ..When they do, it's usually off a deflection from a skater infront of my net, when I'm passing the puck with the goalie.

Here is another editor with a draft thing. Check it out! :D

Works for both NHL93 and NHL95 for PC.

I also have a lot of other stuff collected from my career as a NHL95 for PC player. I used to browse all the internet to look for rosters, add-on, jerseys etc. back in the good old days. B)

What all do you have in your collection? I'm very interested, maybe you could upload a .zip with anything that might be of interest? Props for uploading the editor/draft thing, I'll check it out a little later tonight.

I agree wholeheartedly about the speed issue. I will stick by my theory that there are a large number of NHL series players out there who are so used to the incredibly (and in my opinion, excessively) fast gameplay of '94, that the more realistic-paced '95 for PC seems slow to them. I like playing at least a semi-realistic game with all the penalties on, and in '94, I can't go 5 f**king seconds without an offsides penalty because the gameplay is so goddamn fast. In '95, the fun of it is battling in the neutral zone for puck possession and being able to set up a strategic offense; you have so many deflections and checks and interceptions that it makes the anticipation of a goal that much more exciting. If fighting were included, I would say this is the king of the series. bcrt2000, you are my hero, and I was really hoping you'd pop up in here. Please do post more info when you get the opportunity, and again, any and every add-on or patch or anything you've got, I would love to have my hands on. Do you know anything of a modified .exe for NHL 95 that changes the AI? Anyway, thanks for posting, looking forward to hearing from you.

Do any of your NHL95 PC games remember Arild Schanke's NHL Editor? It was THE best (along with Toni Whilen's NHLINFO Editor).

And do any of you remember the RTM roster/jersey pack releases for NHL95? I used to work with them doing the jersey updates. Man those were fun times. Too bad I lost all of my old NHL95 files :)

That would be nice if you can post those things here.

Nice job!

Guest cr0ssbar94

Does anyone here know where to download the full, working version of NHL 95 for PC? I got 93 to work, but cant find 95.

The website "abondonware paradise" that WBOY provided no longer works. You need "pass-key" now or some bullshit to download the game.

NHL 95 pc game? Where to get it? Anyone? :)

Does anyone here know where to download the full, working version of NHL 95 for PC? I got 93 to work, but cant find 95.

The website "abondonware paradise" that WBOY provided no longer works. You need "pass-key" now or some bullshit to download the game.

NHL 95 pc game? Where to get it? Anyone? :)

While yes, things obviously have changed recently on the site meaning you need to authenticate to download, but did you take two seconds to look at the page you launch the download from?

Obviously not... as apparently it easier to just make another post and have someone else waste their time to find another solution for you...

post-11-1174051763_thumb.png

holy i didn't see this thread before when i needed help on getting the sound and stuff to work but now that i saw this thread it helped me get it working perfect and big thanks goes to wboy your screens showing how to get it to work did wonders and i got to thank you. cause nhl 95 for pc has always been my favorite. just one thing tho is there a trick to make dosbox make my controller work cause it doesn't come up telling me to calibrate my controller.

Anyone here interested coaching in NHL95-league? I think we are starting KHL season 5 soon. General idea is trading players and selecting lines, gameplay would be computer vs. computer. If you are interested to participate, go to KHL forum.

• 5 weeks later...

I want to tell a story, wether you like or dont..

When I was a kid NHL95 was the game, becouse I (and about all of my friendds) played hockey my self also (as a poorly talented keeper :) ). We had maniac competitions with my brothers over this game (and som... well a few.... ok ok we had tons of fights about this) and I still hold the record for scoring most times in one season with same player (Saku Koivu: 200 goals 15 assists), but my brother ultimatly beated me in playoff challense.

I won him twice in playoffs, but he won me tree times. After that fifht game we had new computer, and NHL 98, and for while we were satisfied for that game.

Few years ago, at the Cristmas eve, we suddently remembered this great game. But at that time the original CD was long lost and gone. After that I´ve been looking for this game over the internet for some times. No luck... until now.

After two days of trial and error, reading this forum again and again, I finaly got it working. Mostly because to wboy´s posts.

Now, its my time to set the scores between my bro. I have two playoff challenses left to do that. I think i´ll call him to night, and play the starting sounds of ´95 for him... I bet he goes bizark when he hears those...

Now Im going to practise...

wboy... you are the man, man. B)

I think you might be able to get this to work directly on XP, without that dosbox thing. I know it worked for me for another old game I love (Command and Conquer: Red Alert) so it should work on this. You right click on the .exe file, then go to Properties, then Compatibility, then check the box that says: Run this program in compatibility mode for: and make sure it says Windows 95 in the drop-down box. You may also have to check the top two boxes under Display settings (Run in 256 colors and Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution.)

I haven't tried this myself, but if anyone wants to try it, it might enable you to play it directly, without needing an emu.

I think you might be able to get this to work directly on XP, without that dosbox thing.

I actually messed with that a few weeks ago but never reported back as the thread lot interest fast.

Yes, you can have some success with XP's compatibility options as you posted. The only issues is getting the sound out, especially on non sound blaster (SB) based cards (e.g. onboard Realteks etc. found on many motherboards).

While most are SB compatible, you need to SET the "BLASTER=A220" etc.. environment variables to have any hope of the game picking up on the settings and natively giving you sound when executing NHL95 thru XP. Gamepads support may also be an issue running this was as well. Didn't mess with it enough to test in full.

• 2 weeks later...
When I was a kid NHL95 was the game, becouse I (and about all of my friendds) played hockey my self also (as a poorly talented keeper :) ). We had maniac competitions with my brothers over this game (and som... well a few.... ok ok we had tons of fights about this) and I still hold the record for scoring most times in one season with same player (Saku Koivu: 200 goals 15 assists), but my brother ultimatly beated me in playoff challense.

One thing, Saku Koivu is not in original rosters in NHL95PC. Maybe you were using different rosters ;)