NHL'94 Forums

NHL 95 PC! A hackers dream!!! anyone play it???

mariomania

I also have a lot of other stuff collected from my career as a NHL95 for PC player. I used to browse all the internet to look for rosters, add-on, jerseys etc. back in the good old days. B)

Could you post those stuff here?

Could you post those stuff here?

yes, yes. desired by many. please, do so.

• 3 months later...

sorry to bring up an old topic here, but im having a problem getting the game working. after i get it installed and follow the instructions to play, i get the error message "COULD NOT OPEN ALLFILES.TXT FILE." anybody have any clue how to go about fixing this?

• 2 weeks later...
sorry to bring up an old topic here, but im having a problem getting the game working. after i get it installed and follow the instructions to play, i get the error message "COULD NOT OPEN ALLFILES.TXT FILE." anybody have any clue how to go about fixing this?

Try this:

Running NHL '95 on your Hard Drive

Originally by Jan Wissing.

Since NHL '95 came on CD, it must be a really huge program, right? Wrong. This so-called major upgrade from NHL '93 has left alot of things unchanged. From more than 500 MB of storage space possible on a CD, NHL '95 only takes up 105 MB. Lucky for you, though, because if you have enough storage space, you can run the game on your hard drive! Simply copy all of the files on the CD to the desired directory on your hard drive. Then create a file called nhl.cfg with the following information:

C <--The partition you want to be running on

HOCKEY.EXE

[...] <--Insert the text from allfiles.txt on the CD

That's all you need to do. The major difference is that the seek time on the hard disk is much faster than on the CD-ROM. You will notice a signifiant decrease in the time spent to change screens, for example, when you're looking up statistics. Gameplay won't be much faster, though, since it does not perform disk seeks.

• 4 weeks later...
hey

I just remembered nhl 95 for the PC was pretty much nhl 94 right? just way F'n better, hell they had logos on their jerseys lol

has that pc game ever hacked or updated?

did that game have season? that would be the coolest game to be updated!!

nhl95_pc_1.jpg

Hey guys, sorry for bumping an old thread but I need help.

Ive managed to get the files extracted using tugzip or whatever. But I have a problem when I click the INSTALL.EXE

"Error Opening source file [/HOCKEY.EXE] Aborting Installation

I get that after I select the type of sound Im using, any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Feel free to add my msn Flyers_122003@hotmail.com

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick question

If I unbalance the divisions in this game, what does that do to the game?

Say, Division 0 has 5 teams, Division 1 has 4, Division 2 has 7, and Division 3 has 9.

Is that going to blow up my game?

A quick question

If I unbalance the divisions in this game, what does that do to the game?

Say, Division 0 has 5 teams, Division 1 has 4, Division 2 has 7, and Division 3 has 9.

Is that going to blow up my game?

only 1 way to find out.

back it up and give it a go :angry:

So I was able to add a team (Nashville) into the db as well as some fictional players to take up slots to get to 27 teams + the 2 all star teams. Only problem is, the game doesn't recognize the team. The players are all valid, have their own addresses in the db's and such, so if you put them on other teams they appear.

My limited hacking ability has reached its end - I tried adding entries into the EXE but that buggers it up and causes it to crash before starting up. If anyone with better understanding of hex editing and EXE decompiling or reverse engineering wants to take a stab at it, all I did was copy/paste entries from the db in a hex editor, add them to the end of the file and renamed them using NHLINFO.

• 2 months later...

Can someone please help me? I just joined the NHL 94 Forum. I love NHL 95 for the PC. I won it off eBay and just got it a few days ago, and I am already in the month of January on my season. I know many of you guys are playing this on DOSBox, but I am using this thing called "Program Compatibility Wizard" that helps it run on XP. The gameplay is just fine, but I cannot get any sound out of it and I have a 22" monitor, so it looks really shitty :( . I've try reinstalling it with all 6 sound options and none of them will let me have sound. Can someone help me get sound and possibly decrease the resolution so it looks a little bit sharper. I've tried changing the resolution settings and it looks the exact same with 800x600 pixels as 1680x1050 pixels. Someone please help. Thx!

NHL 95 Lineup (Florida Panthers):

Lomakin Belanger Mellanby

Hough Niedermayer Foligno

Lowry Skrudland Kudelski

Lindsay Barnes Fitzgerald/Hull

Benning Murphy

Severyn Laus

Smith/Andersson Brown/Cirella

post-1979-1219259580.jpg

You must actually have the CD-ROM don't you? You are gonna have to delete something off your C: drive to create some more disk space. Then you might have to re-install the game into the computer.

NHL 95 Lines:

Lomakin Belanger Mellanby

Hough Niedermayer Foligno

Lowry Skrudland Kudelski

Lindsay Barnes Fitzgerald

Benning Murphy

Severyn Laus

Andersson Smith

Hey guys, I'm really excited because I just finished my 84th game of the season. I posted an 82-0-2 record for 166 points and the Presidents' Trophy. I'm also excited cause I get to play the Lightning in the quarterfinals, so it's gonna be the "Battle of the Sunshine State." Here are the stats for my regular season:

# Player Name GP G A PTS

17 Mike Foligno 84 61 63 124

26 Jesse Belanger 84 46 49 95

44 Rob Niedermayer 84 26 51 77

27 Scott Mellanby 84 24 48 72

19 Andrei Lomakin 84 18 39 57

22 Bob Kudelski 84 24 30 54

14 Stu Barnes 84 25 28 53

20 Brian Skrudland 83 19 24 43

5 Gord Murphy 84 9 28 37

18 Mike Hough 84 10 21 31

24 Brent Severyn 84 9 20 29

21 Tom Fitzgerald 67 14 14 28

3 Paul Laus 84 4 21 25

7 Brian Benning 84 8 16 24

25 Geoff Smith 70 6 17 23

10 Dave Lowry 82 10 11 21

11 Bill Lindsay 80 6 10 16

4 Keith Brown 55 5 10 15

6 Peter Andersson 29 0 12 12

12 Jody Hull 17 2 5 7

2 Joe Cirella 14 1 5 6

23 Jeff Daniels 6 0 2 2

Yes, the most unlikely hero, Mike Foligno plays in all 84 games for 61 goals, 63 assists, and 124 points even though he was retired in the 1994-95 season.

Hey guys. In game 4, I was leading the series 3-0. I was leading the game 2-1 with about a minute to go. Robby Zamuner fired a one-timer that was stopped by the Beezer. Then Brian Bradley throws a pass to an errant point and it banks off the boards and into an empty net :)! Beezer got credit for the goal and I won 3-1 and the series 4-0 to advance to the next round to play Montreal.

Hey guys, I just won the Cup, and I'll have photos and stats in a few days, but tell me what ya think of this background. Starters of the 96 Panthers.

Panthers_background.bmp

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back a really old topic.

I was searching on the forums about trying to find nhl95 and I found this thread to my great delight. So I went to the website recommended, abandoniaparadise and followed wboy's instructions on the first page or two on installing it, which worked. The problem i'm encountering is when I try to run the game after mounting it as per the instructions, I get a message saying could not open allfiles.txt file

How do I fix this? I've read and reread the instructions given by wboy and have followed everything to the letter... Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sorry to bring back a really old topic.

I was searching on the forums about trying to find nhl95 and I found this thread to my great delight. So I went to the website recommended, abandoniaparadise and followed wboy's instructions on the first page or two on installing it, which worked. The problem i'm encountering is when I try to run the game after mounting it as per the instructions, I get a message saying could not open allfiles.txt file

How do I fix this? I've read and reread the instructions given by wboy and have followed everything to the letter... Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

can't really help you, but i do know this means whatever you are doing with emulating the CD isn't working, so retry whatever step it is that accomplishes that.

can't really help you, but i do know this means whatever you are doing with emulating the CD isn't working, so retry whatever step it is that accomplishes that.

This morning I decided to try to figure it out again, and I found out that it was tugzip's fault all along. Apparently it wasn't extracting that file. (alltext.txt) So once I installed the game, I just had to manually extract that single file to the correct location (where nhl95 was installed) and now it works fine...

So if anyone else has this problem, after you install the game all you have to do if you get the can't find alltext.txt file message, is after you've installed the game just open up tugzip again and extract that one file to your HOCKEY subfolder that should be in your NHL95 folder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there fellow nostalgics!

This is my first post here (obv) and first of all I'd like to say how nice it is to see that there are people who shares my love for this game. Seems like a great forum aswell!

I have a question about the editing programs. I've browsed around but couldn't find an answer for this particular question. I was able to download some of the programs and where really thrilled of the ones where you could change player attributes. I've tried both NHLINFO and NHL9395 and both worked to my satisfaction to a certain point. Just to try 'em out I made some extreme changes in players attributes. I gave a certain player 500 in both speed and aggressivness values, which really showed when playing. 99% of every hit resulted in a penalty and the speed was ridiciously fast.

However, when simulating a season (only playing the last game of the season my self) the given new attribute values had no effect on the games simulated. For example I gave Wayne Gretzky 100 in aggressivness but his PIM stats after 84 games where obviously coordinated with his original 45 in aggressivness (He got something like 28 PIM), even though it said 100 when checking his attributes under the team roster (during the season). When playing manually with the Kings he got penalties as easy as Tie Domi.

The reason I want this to work is that I want to make the relation, skillwise between bad and good players more realistic. 45 in speed is just too low compared to the fastest players, even if that player is supposed to be the slowest in the league.

Is this even possible? Making attribute changes having an affect when games being simulated? I understand that the .db files aren't the ones determine how many points the non human team players get's during a season since this isn't working. But what files "controls" the points and PIM the players get when simulating a season? I mean, they have to be related to the .db files in some way. Right?

And can you edit them in someway? I also tried editing the orignial .db files instead of the .db files in a certain career directory giving (f.e) Federov worst possible attribute values, but even then he will end up in the top of the point leaders. And U. Samuelsson will avarage more than 2 PIM per match with 25 in agg given by me.

I know I'm repeating my self but hopefully you guys know what I'm curious about =)

Thanks in advance!

the recorded statistics from the 93-94 season are what control the PIMs and goals scored. if you give tie domi 2 PIMs for the season, he will take a very low amount of penalties despite having an 100 AG. likewise, if you give him 50 goals, he'll score a lot of simulated goals. you can change this in nhl9395 and i believe nhlinfo though i've never used nhlinfo for nhl95 editing. my rosters over in the NHL95 forums (latest version from november 09-10 rosters) take this into account.

this also works for teams - give teams more wins, they'll win more simulated games - although i've never tested whether it takes into account goal differential or not. it seems to basically retrofit the simulation of the individual players to the team - so even if you give gretzky gretzky like stats, if he plays on a crap team, he'll play 82 games, score 60 points, and be a -40 if you give his team the ottawa senators' results.

you seem to have a further question - how does the simulation actually work - i have absolutely no idea.

Edited by Triumph

the recorded statistics from the 93-94 season are what control the PIMs and goals scored. if you give tie domi 2 PIMs for the season, he will take a very low amount of penalties despite having an 100 AG. likewise, if you give him 50 goals, he'll score a lot of simulated goals. you can change this in nhl9395 and i believe nhlinfo though i've never used nhlinfo for nhl95 editing. my rosters over in the NHL95 forums (latest version from november 09-10 rosters) take this into account.

this also works for teams - give teams more wins, they'll win more simulated games - although i've never tested whether it takes into account goal differential or not. it seems to basically retrofit the simulation of the individual players to the team - so even if you give gretzky gretzky like stats, if he plays on a crap team, he'll play 82 games, score 60 points, and be a -40 if you give his team the ottawa senators' results.

you seem to have a further question - how does the simulation actually work - i have absolutely no idea.

Thank you very much! A great reply with useful info for me =)

I changed Gretzkys 93/94 season stats (without changing his att. values) to the opposite of what he would usually produce, meaning, plenty of PIM and a very few points, simulated a season and his season stats ended up like something Gino Odjick would get! Although there seem to be some sort of limit of how much PIM and points a player can get simulation wise. As most of you probably know. The usual simulation when it comes to an aggressive player like Domi is 2 PIM per game, sometimes 5 and very rarely 4 minutes in a single game. Also, as it seems, a player wont score like 150 goals in a season even if you give him 400 goals in the 93/94 season.

I've been playing this game on and off since it first came out (still have the original CD and box) but never thought of it like this. It makes perfect sense though, what you're saying. Even if you trade the top 20 players to Ottawa and simulate a season they wont make the play offs. I'm gonna keep mixing with the team stats and try to figure out what the smulation procedure actually takes in count when determine the stats teams end up with.

I have one more question. In the NHL9395 editor (which is the one I'm using primarly), under player attributes, there's some 4 or 5 columns named "UN" that is editable (right among speed, endurance, shot/pass bias, whatever) but not shown when you check a players attributes in the actual game. You can edit them and the original players have different values in these columns. I'm thinking they for some reason stands for unknown. Anyone knows?

Anyhow, thanks again, Triumph!

Edited by Ryden

they stand for unknown and my guess is they actually measure a player's ability to withstand a check. if you've played as much nhl95 as i have, you'll notice there are players who retain control of the puck and stay upright sometimes when they're being checked, and the crowd will boo - sometimes it can take 4 or 5 checks to knock them over.

i haven't experimented enough to confirm if that's what they control, but given that players like gretzky and lemieux have high values (and this ability to stay upright), and worse players have lower values and lack this ability, that's always been my guess.

they stand for unknown and my guess is they actually measure a player's ability to withstand a check. if you've played as much nhl95 as i have, you'll notice there are players who retain control of the puck and stay upright sometimes when they're being checked, and the crowd will boo - sometimes it can take 4 or 5 checks to knock them over.

i haven't experimented enough to confirm if that's what they control, but given that players like gretzky and lemieux have high values (and this ability to stay upright), and worse players have lower values and lack this ability, that's always been my guess.

That makes sense. Since players stand up better and worse for checks there should be a value for that. I looked in to it now and it seems like the good players like Federov, Gretzky and D. Gilmour all have high values in the unknow columns 15 through 18. I also see a pattern for the rough players like McSorley, Rychel or Probert who all have high values in column 15. But they doesn't stand up for checks like the ones mentioned so I guess that one in particular stands for something else.

Anyhow, I've experimented some more (if anyone else cares =)) with giving players ridiously high values. Again I tried out the aggressivness part. When giving one player in a team a sick 93/94 season stat like 900 PIM in only ONE played game and then simulating a season it will have an affect for every player in the team. All of them will get ALOT of PIM. From 400 minutes up to like 1600. Having an team average of 60 PIM/match.

Also the team wouldnt score a single goal, losing every game big time. According to the stats the team didn't even fire a single shot...

So it doesn't seem to be a limit, like I thought before, of how far you could push this. "Forcing" a player to score 200 goals minimum in a season is no problem.

• 3 months later...

hELP Please!

I downloaded NHL Hockey and followed Wboy's comments and got that working great. But then I downloaded the NHL95 version and cannot get this to work at all. For starters I can't even find the install.exe that everyone keeps referring to. When I try to run hockey.exe i get the pointer error and the 2k space errors. Can someone help please? Also I am dosbox noob so if you are going to provide instructions could you please write them in idiot speak.

FYI

Link to download NHL95

http://www.squakenet.com/computer_games/59...5/download.html

Link to download NHL Hockey

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/235/NHL+Hockey+94.html

thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Am I the only one that finds NHL 95 PC ridiculously easy?

No matter what system, I always play as Calgary and I just score nonstop on the PC NHL 95.

Such a drag to me, as I really love it otherwise.

First post.

I'm glad to see a lot of console gamers have discovered the PC version of NHL 95. That was THE GAME, and is still my favorite. I have recently bought an HTC EVO Android phone and been playing the various EA NHL games on both the gensoid and snesoid emulators, which are awesome. It's actually very playable using touchscreen controls, but the level of difficulty is a little higher. Which, honestly, is a good thing. As you noted, these games are too easy to beat once you're seasoned at it.

I never played NHL 94 on console back in the day, so I'm seeing them for the first time. The gameplay is like an old friend - came back to me immediately. It feels like my memories of NHL 95 PC. But it's so disappointing to see that they didn't have the season mode. To me, that depth was the biggest reason to continue playing, and it's the thing that got me hooked. It's also weird because the PC version gives you 4 full lines instead of three, which adds to the depth. I've tried 93/95/96/97/98 on the emulators and the gameplay isn't the same, they play so FAST. Is it really that fast on the actual console? After trying them all, I would still rate NHL 94 console the best of the console games, followed by NHL 98. Genesis vs. SNES really seemed to make little difference other than presentation here and there. NHL 98 on console was pretty good because it had the season mode, and you could select "low" as the game speed - better but still pretty fast. Not to mention the defensive AI actually got worse, the defenders charge directly at the puck handler as soon as he crosses the blue line. And usually they bounce off of him. At least your offensive teammates will pull up at the blue line and let you get across - much less offsides in NHL 98 console.

Back to the NHL 95 PC version, I found that the game was still challenging if you take a poor team (like Ottawa) instead of a powerhouse like Calgary. The defensive AI on the PC game is far beyond the console versions, and couple that with slow players with poor shots, and you have yourself a real challenge. And if that is too easy, sabotage your own team by changing the lines to put the best players on the bench. But playing multi-player was by far the best - playing against my brothers who were equally skilled....it was pretty much like the scene from Swingers. Trash talk and lighting the lamp. That awesome horn.

Another thing I noticed about NHL 94 console, was that your teammates are stupid and always charge into the zone before the puck gets there (i ALWAYS play with offsides on). I hate to dump the puck in, so I have to be very careful about hitting the lead man on a break. I can't remember if this was a problem with NHL 95 PC or not.....now I'm interested in setting up dosbox and giving it a run. Looks like all i need to know is right here in this thread.

want to try a team full of Greg Smyths? try the Tru Scrubs '94 SNES ROM. there's your challenge: a team of 25 average versus a team of 100 average.

I booted up NHL 95 on Dosbox and it ran very well immediately. So weird to see it after a decade gone, but to remember every song and screen. I don't have a gamepad, so it was tough to play on keyboard. It feels slower than even NHL 94 console. I like both versions but I think the slower game is a bit more tactical. You can really set up a play and make multiple passes within the offensive zone. It's also easier to play positional defense and line someone up for a big hit. On the faster games it's way too easy to skate yourself right out of position. The defensive AI seems to give you more space, but it's harder to beat the goalie one on one.

Finally, offensive players don't charge into the zone, they wait at the blue line for you. That alone is much better than NHL 94 on console. Unless you don't like to play with the offsides rule, which I noticed is how the nhl94online leagues are run. Anyone know why they chose to turn off the offsides - is it because the game's AI causes too many offsides penalties?

Unfortunately the NHL 95 PC engine was scrapped for 96, because everyone was getting excited about 3D environments (though the sprites were still 2D) and new camera angles. All that crap just made the game harder to see, harder to play, and less fun, IMO. I always thought the 3D camera angles were more difficult to play than overhead, even though they admittedly looked awesome. Even today on some of the great new console games (FIFA 10 on Xbox 360!) I prefer to choose a more overhead angle, and it's probably just because I got my brain wired that way from playing NHL 95 forever.