NHL'94 Forums

New ratings for macks rom

angryjay93

There has been a lot of talk about mack's new rom in the latest 07 league. Aesthetically, it is a gorgeous rom full of amazing little nick-nacks. gameplay wise, its a little lop-sided. So in an effort to take what is a good rom with the potential to be an amazing rom, im developing new ratings for each of the players to provide what will hopefully provide a more balanced gameplay experience. TessLog is helping me out in a huge way by inputing the new ratings into NOSE since i have zero editing skills.

Mack, if you happen to see this and you do not want me touching your rom, please let me know, i will cease operations and let your rom be.

If this rom is allowed, look for its release within the next week or two.

First off the original game had some awful teams and some great teams so the diversity has always been there. The lop sides have always been there. I also made many comments about my hack saying it was designed to make the comp chnage their lines more so all 3 lines get into the game. Obviously meant more for playing the game solo. Not hard to figure out. You can't play one line for 4 minutes of a 5 minute game. Why even use line changes then?

Let me yet again say I will never make everyone happy. It's not possible. Everyone will have there preferences and attitudes.

A certain user's youtube video was pointed out to me which both disgusted me and made me laugh harder than I have in a long time. I am not even going to discuss how sad and pathetic this user seems to be and what he spoke of but I was not impressed with him or his comments. I'll leave him be, lurking in his momma's disgisting kitchen.

I don't force anyone to play my game. You don't like it, don't play it - plain and simple. Go play swos and mav's version or someone elses or better yet - GO MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN ROM. I do this for free and in my minimal spare time.

I don't want any league not happy with my rom to release any different versions. Please by all means, use a different hack or stick to the original. I am so close to simply quitting the hacking game. I just can't stand some of you people and you ungratefulness.

This isn't directed at you either Jay. I'm sure you'll make the changes anyways. Just keep it in your league and don't release it anywhere or to anyone else.

Come on mack, its not like we dont appreciate all your hard work. Just everyone has a different opinion on how players should be rated.

I understand that you like what you did with the ROM and are happy with how the teams are made, but we just want to make it more like real life counterparts and closen up the Overalls on each team.

To show you we respect everything you have done, it wont be touched unless we have your permission. If not we can try and make our own ROM to our liking.

Bottom line is, we REALLY like the look of your rom.

I respect everything you say mack, i agree that it is impossible to please everyone with anything. Your rational for creating the teams the way you did is perfectly fine with me, you have your reasons for doing it and i respect that completely.

About the certain youtube video, i also watched it and i really felt that certain user was way out of line in talking about your rom. For a guy to go online and publically rip someone for spending hours making a rom is dispicable. If he doesn't like it, then fine, but he does not need to go on a 10 minute tirade about how people were getting run over by other players while using the rom. It is not the fault of the rom for those scores, its more of a description of the two users in the game. (side note- i was also ripped in that youtube video, so i feel you on that one mack, but i will admit he was much easier on me).

About making my own rom, i really wish i could or knew how. I dont exactly have the desire or know how to learn all the different details of the neccessary programs needed to create a rom. I really think you did an amazing job with all the graphics, details, adjustments, and any other miscellaneous items. I dont mean to disrespect you or your rom in any way by playing with the ratings, i apologize if i came off in that manner. I would like to personally thank you for devoting your time and efforts into creating your rom, i was watching during the last few months as you created your game and took a lot of heat from other users. I waited patiently because i trusted that you would complete your rom whenever you had the chance, there was no sense in rushing you, after all you do it for the love of creating and in your spare time.

As for the changes, now im undecided on what i will do. I know inside youd rather me not touch your rom, and i realize that. I think you giving me permission is another concession you are making to the users to please them even though it isnt what you truly want. You said i could do it and only distribute it to other league members, but then they can give it out to others and the rom can be on the loose in a matter of days, i dont want to do that to you. I'm really at a loss at what to do, id much rather talk to you one-on-one so i truly know where you stand and what youd like. you are after all the creator of the rom and you should have rights over what goes on with it.

Thanks for the response.

I said on my downloads page that anyone is free to change whatever they want. That's why there is an amazing editor for. I just didn't want people changing things and then releasing it out to everyone. Of course you have no control over what people do with it and neither do I.

I have no problems with you guys making changes for your league. That's partly why the rom is there. To take it and run with it. That's basically what we're doing with the original anyways.

If someone had simply asked nicely I could have switched the fatigue back. I will however not make 30 identical teams in ratings. What's the point of that? If you're an awesome player, take a worse team, if you're a crap player, take a better team. It's what me and my buddies did over a decade ago and it still works today. I was Quebec in 93 for all the tourneys we had. And that was playing with and against the real Steve Sullivan and Dan Cloutier back in my OHL days.

I'm finished on the topic. I'm finished in general.

In short, i have mixed feelings on how this all turned out.

On one hand i can be excited that i have been given the green light by mack to play around with the ratings, it is truly a pleasure to work with such an amazing rom.

On the other hand, im very saddend by the fact that mack has decided to hang up the skates on editing games. The fact that users over time have been inconsiderate in their acts towards him has caused one of the top editor guys to give it up. I feel like i helped contribute to the last straw towards that decision and i genuinely feel bad for being a part of such a thing. It is a shame that someone who has done so much damage to certain parts of the community has now extended his reach into playing a huge role destroying macks roms.

I agree again with you on how you feel about better players using worse teams and weaker players using stronger teams. I also agree with you on if people came to you and asked nicely to adjust things, you could have considered it. There are certain parts of your team creation i agree with and others i disagree with, but are such details even important at this time? No, not really.

I would just like to thank you again for everything you have done during your time here to provide the masses with high quality roms, you will be missed by many, i hope one day you grace us with your presence once more, until then though, good luck with life and may you live well.

Don't worry about it. I'll get over it. It just pisses me off.

I am here for you guys. Encouragement is awesome. Negativity helps no one and does not motivate me.

Also if you have a problem with me or my hack or want to ask a favor, ask me directly through email or a pm. Don't use youtube or make an entire topic on it. I am very approachable and have helped those who have gone about asking me the proper way, all the help I can manage.

Now let's drop this crap. Who needs it. Viva les classiques!

Thanks mack for everything you have provided us, it has taken 94 further then before.

But in all seriousness, I can say that most of the people here really respect what youve done and understand all the hard time youve put into it.

I know you want it to be dropped, however, I would like to say a few things.

I am a daily visitor to this forum. But I contribute nothing. I'm not proud of that, but this site and this forum is a source of entertainment for me. But by coming here daily, I have noticed a few things.

With a larger membership comes a larger crowd of, shall I say, disrespectful assholes. Since the time I joined, the amount of bad hearted bickering and consistently bad manners. I don't know if it is the age of the newer members or maybe they were not brought up like the older folks (with less hair in my case). But where I come from, when somebody puts in hours and hours of hard work and then shares it with the rest of us and all a lot of people can do is b***h and pick his creation apart, well thats just wrong.

Secondly, having an actual professional hockey player around who has insight into the game that none of us ball hockey players could ever have is pretty cool.

But instead, a few select jerks have chased off one of the few artists we have around here.

By the way, a lot of these folks would act differently if they had to face you instead of the wild actions of anonimity behind a keyboard.

I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Evan himself is constantly attempting to put out fires around here. It's bullshit. Too much bullshit.

And the rest of us are left to eat our slice of pizza.

I know you want it to be dropped, however, I would like to say a few things.

I am a daily visitor to this forum. But I contribute nothing. I'm not proud of that, but this site and this forum is a source of entertainment for me. But by coming here daily, I have noticed a few things.

With a larger membership comes a larger crowd of, shall I say, disrespectful assholes. Since the time I joined, the amount of bad hearted bickering and consistently bad manners. I don't know if it is the age of the newer members or maybe they were not brought up like the older folks (with less hair in my case). But where I come from, when somebody puts in hours and hours of hard work and then shares it with the rest of us and all a lot of people can do is b***h and pick his creation apart, well thats just wrong.

Secondly, having an actual professional hockey player around who has insight into the game that none of us ball hockey players could ever have is pretty cool.

But instead, a few select jerks have chased off one of the few artists we have around here.

By the way, a lot of these folks would act differently if they had to face you instead of the wild actions of anonimity behind a keyboard.

I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Evan himself is constantly attempting to put out fires around here. It's bullshit. Too much bullshit.

And the rest of us are left to eat our slice of pizza.

And because of people like you, I won't let the clowns win. Great post. Couldn't agree more.

I know you said i could play with your rom mack. but i was just having a conflict inside over how things worked out as whole in this area and that you are no longer distributing your hacks. i just want to let macks 07 rom be and let it stand on its own as the last release to the public you made. I will take the advice from your now closed website, and make my own and put myself in your shoes to see what its really like to create a rom.

I also said I'd get over it. Please just use mine as a base. You have no idea how long it takes to make a hack. You don't want to have to do it. No worries mate.

My site will always be available. I won't let the clowns win.

Looks like the project is back on its feet with the blessing of mack.

Thank you for letting me use your rom as a base and its good to see the site is back open and clown free.

The 07 league though is just days away and i wont have the time to test my rosters in time for the league, so the new rosters and macks base will be used for an 08 roster release, i will have a beta within the week that wont be posted but only handed out to perhaps a handful of people...if not, dont expect the beta for a while. The time table on this is a few months in likely hood because of free agency coming up within the week, the need for testing, and the need for the current 07 league to transition to 08 within a few months.

Thank you again to Mack, im very excited to use your rom as a base.

I can sympathize with Mack on getting raked over the coals after spending a lot of time on a mod. It happens - a lot of users have this sense of entitlement, that everything should be done the way they expect.

I learned very quickly that there's no point in getting angry, even when you're antagonized. The way I see it, if you make at least one person happy with the work you've produced, then you've accomplished your mission. Now if you release something and EVERYONE says its crap, then thats when you go back to the drawing board to find out what you did wrong. Its obvious that you can't please everybody, nor should you even attempt to try - because all you're doing is setting yourself up to fail.

Mack isn't the only guy who makes mods, so if you don't like it there's others that may suit your particular needs. To get bent out of shape over something like that and then try to make the guy feel like crap for something he worked on is sort of ridiculous and petty.

Mack - keep at it. I remember you being one of the guys telling me the exact same thing awhile back when I was getting frustrated.

The way I see it, if you make at least one person happy with the work you've produced, then you've accomplished your mission.

Hopefully at the very least this one person is yourself! You'll never be able to please everyone. You can only do good for the majority.

-Evan

Hopefully at the very least this one person is yourself! You'll never be able to please everyone. You can only do good for the majority.

-Evan

Well that just goes without saying. If you release your work for the masses, you at the very least should be happy with it.

HAY GUYS THIS SUCKS, but you'll love it anyway. :(

I personally love it... and my 2 1/2 year old loves it too. He loves the goalies. I'm afraid he'll be one.

Most comments have been positive and I appreciate it. Negativity I think should just be handled in the right fashion. I'm always open to fixing things for people too if they ask nicely. I want as many people as possible to play it and really enjoy themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
I personally love it... and my 2 1/2 year old loves it too. He loves the goalies. I'm afraid he'll be one.

Most comments have been positive and I appreciate it. Negativity I think should just be handled in the right fashion. I'm always open to fixing things for people too if they ask nicely. I want as many people as possible to play it and really enjoy themselves.

Holy crap! I had no idea you were catching so much flak over your roms, Mack! They're probably just a bunch of snot-nosed whining pissants that live in their parents' basements (or they're snot-nosed brats who still haven't hit puberty yet). :)

I finished reading some "Hacking 101" thread earlier on these forums... I had no clue what the heck I was reading. :mellow:

I would gladly make my own rom and distribute it to the fans; unfortunately, I do not have the computer skills to do so. Reading a bunch of lines of code... sheesh! I always assumed it would be as easy as reading "Trent Hunter: Checking: __ (insert rating)". But from the sounds of it, it isn't even remotely that simple.

I love your most recent NHL '94 2007 rom; however, I'd edit some of the ratings if I could. But then again, when I think about it... I'm not so sure that people would be thrilled if I gave Chad Kilger and Andre Roy life-like shot power ratings. Those two can really rip a puck. If I were to give Kilger and Roy the shot power ratings they deserve, then too many goals would be scored by those two players in these old-fashioned NHL video games. :lol: If I were able to edit ratings, I'd have mixed feelings about giving some players life-like shot power ratings; however, I'd have no qualms about giving them the checking ratings they deserve (players such as Trent Hunter, Sean Hill, Mike Komisarek, Vitaly Vishnevski, Steve Begin, Chad Kilger, etc. would have very high checking ratings in my opinion).

I haven't looked at all of the teams yet in the updated rom that I downloaded from your site the other day. But I have looked at the ratings of some of the players when I played a playoff with the Pittsburgh Penguins. I was pleased to see what I believed to be much-improved ratings for the players in this particular rom. Personally, I think you did a fantastic job (from what I've observed thus far).

Hacking roms... you DON'T have to do that for any of us. But the fact that you do it is greatly appreciated (by myself and others in the NHL '94 gaming community)! Whether or not you continue to hack roms is entirely up to you; however, try to brush off the disrespectful comments made about you by a bunch of whining pissants.

It's amazing just how disrespectful people can be in society today! I'm only 25 years old; however, I find that there are very few people my own age that I can relate to. Too many people my age (and younger) are nothing more than disrespectful punks with no maturity whatsoever. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong generation.

Mack, if you do continue to hack roms at all... feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions about player ratings or factual information regarding those players (jersey numbers, what hand they shoot with, etc). I would glad to assist you in any way I possibly can.

Holy crap! I had no idea you were catching so much flak over your roms, Mack! They're probably just a bunch of snot-nosed whining pissants that live in their parents' basements (or they're snot-nosed brats who still haven't hit puberty yet). :angry:

I finished reading some "Hacking 101" thread earlier on these forums... I had no clue what the heck I was reading. <_<

I would gladly make my own rom and distribute it to the fans; unfortunately, I do not have the computer skills to do so. Reading a bunch of lines of code... sheesh! I always assumed it would be as easy as reading "Trent Hunter: Checking: __ (insert rating)". But from the sounds of it, it isn't even remotely that simple.

I love your most recent NHL '94 2007 rom; however, I'd edit some of the ratings if I could. But then again, when I think about it... I'm not so sure that people would be thrilled if I gave Chad Kilger and Andre Roy life-like shot power ratings. Those two can really rip a puck. If I were to give Kilger and Roy the shot power ratings they deserve, then too many goals would be scored by those two players in these old-fashioned NHL video games. :lol: If I were able to edit ratings, I'd have mixed feelings about giving some players life-like shot power ratings; however, I'd have no qualms about giving them the checking ratings they deserve (players such as Trent Hunter, Sean Hill, Mike Komisarek, Vitaly Vishnevski, Steve Begin, Chad Kilger, etc. would have very high checking ratings in my opinion).

I haven't looked at all of the teams yet in the updated rom that I downloaded from your site the other day. But I have looked at the ratings of some of the players when I played a playoff with the Pittsburgh Penguins. I was pleased to see what I believed to be much-improved ratings for the players in this particular rom. Personally, I think you did a fantastic job (from what I've observed thus far).

Hacking roms... you DON'T have to do that for any of us. But the fact that you do it is greatly appreciated (by myself and others in the NHL '94 gaming community)! Whether or not you continue to hack roms is entirely up to you; however, try to brush off the disrespectful comments made about you by a bunch of whining pissants.

It's amazing just how disrespectful people can be in society today! I'm only 25 years old; however, I find that there are very few people my own age that I can relate to. Too many people my age (and younger) are nothing more than disrespectful punks with no maturity whatsoever. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong generation.

Mack, if you do continue to hack roms at all... feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions about player ratings or factual information regarding those players (jersey numbers, what hand they shoot with, etc). I would glad to assist you in any way I possibly can.

Thanks for the encouraging words. This topic is long gone and over.

I decided not to let a certain pizza clown ruin my efforts or fun of hacking.

I doubt I'll ever please everyone with every players ratings. Everyone has their opinion and some might know some teams better than I do. My goal is to make some teams better than others, just like in the original.

Thanks for the encouraging words. This topic is long gone and over.

I decided not to let a certain pizza clown ruin my efforts or fun of hacking.

I doubt I'll ever please everyone with every players ratings. Everyone has their opinion and some might know some teams better than I do. My goal is to make some teams better than others, just like in the original.

Mack... I thank you not only for the rom, but I also wish to thank Wboy and anybody else that made the rom-hacking experience possible! WOW! I was experimenting with N.O.S.E. (1.2b) last night. I love it! My fears were unfounded... as I am loving this program and finding it easier to use than I anticipated it would be!

The original NHL '94 rom (the 1994 rosters)... I have some questions about it. I chose to edit the ratings of some goalies, ok? I gave Dominik Hasek (Buffalo Sabres) better ratings and made him the starter. But when I made him the starter, and you cycle through the player cards as you begin a game that involves the Sabres... it shows Grant Fuhr's picture above Hasek's name! <_< I have questions on two concepts...

[1] How do I assign Grant Fuhr's player card to the second-string goalie (which is now Fuhr?) Is it with N.O.S.E. or some other program? Is this difficult to attempt?

[2] How do I assign players from one team to another? If I were to start my own NHL '94 league with a few friends, and we decide to do a fantasy draft for the NHL '94 game... how would I assign Mario Lemieux to a team like Quebec, or Jeremy Roenick to a team like the New York Rangers? Is it difficult to get the players to change teams?

If you can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Question [1] isn't a high priority to me; however, I would love to know how to do what I wish with question [2]. Thank you again for your help, and for making this possible for everybody to enjoy the rom. And thanks again to Wboy as well for the excellent N.O.S.E. program!

Feel free to send me a P.M. or message me on AIM. My AIM is TruePensFan2001

Also, if you would like the ratings changes I made to the goaltenders in the original NHL '94 game, let me know and I would be happy to give them to you. I made some minor changes to some players (for example, making Bobby Dollas of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks left-handed instead of right-handed. EA Sports screwed that one up).

• 1 month later...

I'd just like to add that you did a great job with your rom. I am currently modding it into an International Tourney rom, using your ratings for all NHL players (except Darien Hatcher, his rating was too low defensively for my tastes, but no complaints, because I can edit it). So far I've got Canada, USA, Czech Republic and Sweden done, with uniforms, and am currently working on Finland. Again, thanks for the great rom and am looking forward to the NHLPA '93 3o team rom.