NHL'94 Forums

GENS: How To Make Game Movies (avi)

smozoma

Is this still the best way to make game movies or, is there an easier way?

I am wondering the same thing?

In 2016, there must be an easier way to just capture the video as you play, right? Using an online streaming program like Twitch or something? Or just a total screen capture program?

What is the easiest way to make watchable games, nowadays?

Ustream is pretty good as well, it's designed for live-streaming - but it also makes a back-up video file. It also hosts the video free online for 30-days of viewing.

Is it possible to run Ustream without streaming? I'd worry streaming to their site would mess with the game connection if playing vs someone online. With OBS Studio, you don't need to stream, you can record to disk only if desired.

Is it possible to run Ustream without streaming? I'd worry streaming to their site would mess with the game connection if playing vs someone online. With OBS Studio, you don't need to stream, you can record to disk only if desired.

Ustream would be the same, when you fire up the software you would opt not to stream.

Ustream is more of a production than some simpler applications, but it would allow you to stream a webcam of the user in the corner - or perhaps show the AIM chat between periods etc...

Ustream would be the same, when you fire up the software you would opt not to stream.

Ustream is more of a production than some simpler applications, but it would allow you to stream a webcam of the user in the corner - or perhaps show the AIM chat between periods etc...

OK, cool, sounds like the same sort of thing as OBS Studio.

• 9 months later...
On 11/2/2016 at 7:50 AM, aqualizard said:

In 2016, there must be an easier way to just capture the video as you play, right? Using an online streaming program like Twitch or something? Or just a total screen capture program?

What I use is the default Windows 10 recorder.

• 4 years later...
On 11/2/2016 at 6:50 AM, aqualizard said:

I've used SnagIt to create screen capture videos and structured them with PowerDirector to make DVDs. The latter gives you the option of adjusting the sound quality. I used this when inserting commercial breaks and even inserted GIFs over the game menu options to make the scoreboard look like a big screen during intermission. Also on Power Director you can add captions, which I did for a highlight reel of captures from instant replays. The only drawback is if you do the capture from a replay at half speed, you lose sound. The upside to that was it gave me more time for captioning, since I don't sound like an announcer and can't hire one. Here's a couple samples:

15 hours ago, majasskkicker said:

I've used SnagIt to create screen capture videos and structured them with PowerDirector to make DVDs. The latter gives you the option of adjusting the sound quality. I used this when inserting commercial breaks and even inserted GIFs over the game menu options to make the scoreboard look like a big screen during intermission. Also on Power Director you can add captions, which I did for a highlight reel of captures from instant replays. The only drawback is if you do the capture from a replay at half speed, you lose sound. The upside to that was it gave me more time for captioning, since I don't sound like an announcer and can't hire one. Here's a couple samples:

Game2CGY@CHI050597SavardEndToEnd.mpg Game4CGY@CHI050997ProbertShorty.mpg

Cool :) Some tips/suggestions:

The framerate is really bad, which is probably from SnagIt. Try OBS Studio, it's pretty much the standard for screen capture these days, though has a learning curve.

Not sure why you'd add black bars on the top/bottom when it's already stretched out horizontally.

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

Cool :) Some tips/suggestions:

The framerate is really bad, which is probably from SnagIt. Try OBS Studio, it's pretty much the standard for screen capture these days, though has a learning curve.

Not sure why you'd add black bars on the top/bottom when it's already stretched out horizontally.

The framerate is due to the captures being done in the Instant Replay mode on the game, so I did it at half speed for portions to allow time for the captioning. I've got whole periods and games recorded at full speed with no disruption.

• 2 weeks later...