NHL'94 Forums

Who thinks that this game is better than 94?

Guest cr0ssbar

In a few minor ways it is. One - Fighting, and Two - Blood. Plus you can put them together and knock a guy out for the game. Just classic. :blink: Just need to add those to 94 and add a season mode and I'd be happier than a pig in sh!t.

Oh yeah. No question. I love NHLPA93 way more than NHL94. I like that you can score on every breakaway and I hate one-timers. It also reminds me of a simpler time when there weren't so many damn teams. My favorite players are dominant forces in the game (Yzerman and Gartner) and there are plenty of diamonds in the rough that play way above their stats (Tatarinov, Stanton, Djoos, Stephen Leach). Plus playing defense is more difficult (instead of manual goalie, you have to move the goalie around with your defenseman without taking him out of position). I hadn't played 94 for 5 years before I heard about the Cup Chase; I think that says it all.

Some day I'll have a uniquely formatted NHLPA 93 league. If there's significant demand, I'll get on it a little sooner.

Guest cr0ssbar
Oh yeah. No question. I love NHLPA93 way more than NHL94. I like that you can score on every breakaway and I hate one-timers. It also reminds me of a simpler time when there weren't so many damn teams. My favorite players are dominant forces in the game (Yzerman and Gartner) and there are plenty of diamonds in the rough that play way above their stats (Tatarinov, Stanton, Djoos, Stephen Leach). Plus playing defense is more difficult (instead of manual goalie, you have to move the goalie around with your defenseman without taking him out of position). I hadn't played 94 for 5 years before I heard about the Cup Chase; I think that says it all.

Some day I'll have a uniquely formatted NHLPA 93 league. If there's significant demand, I'll get on it a little sooner.

An NHLPA 93 league would be awesome. I also agree with Mack that this game is better than 94 in some ways.

To mirror what you said, I kinda like not having goalie control as well because it forces you to play tougher D, especially against the computer. This is the only game imo that the computer actually has a chance to beat you in.

I also love the crazy puck bounces in this game, something thats missing from 94.

I also agree...1 timers make the offense way too easy sometimes.

I'm thinking of starting an NHLPA 93 website with a league...

:mellow:

girabbit we should set up a time to play 93.

I'm working on a new league/tourney format unlike any other on the internet (that I've seen anyways). I don't want to throw it out there before I have given it sufficient thought and ironed out all the wrinkles, but it will probably involve capping, promotion and relegation of some species or another.

I'm pretty busy (working 3 jobs at the present and my wife is due tomorrow), but if we cross paths I'd love to play some NHLPA93. The real man's hockey game.

Guest cr0ssbar
I'm working on a new league/tourney format unlike any other on the internet (that I've seen anyways). I don't want to throw it out there before I have given it sufficient thought and ironed out all the wrinkles, but it will probably involve capping, promotion and relegation of some species or another.

I'm pretty busy (working 3 jobs at the present and my wife is due tomorrow), but if we cross paths I'd love to play some NHLPA93. The real man's hockey game.

HAHA that's what I always tell my friends...NHL 94 is for wimps (no fighting, and sissy one timers/goalie control is for babies)!

NHLPA 93 is what the pro's play!

3 jobs wow...I once worked one job that seemed like 3 lol, in a factory (12 hour shifts with an hour and a half drive back and forth, 2 20 minute breaks. What a joke, all for 10 bucks an hour), 6 days a week. Thankfully I got out of it and am doing much better now with much easier work and better pay. I hope things get easier for you dude! Congrats to you and your wife!

Yeah the league I'm thinking of isn't going to be too complicated BUT I want to install a team and player draft. I'm well versed in HTML so I can make a very nice site (similar to this one) for it. I'm thinking a small league, with 8 mabye 10 dedicated players.

Should be fun! :mellow:

P.S., have you been to NHL95.com? The league you describe sounds very similar to that one! They also have salary caps, etc. But those dudes use the computer version and play the games in person. My league will be online.

Hey. She gave birth today, so my free time has been easily halved. That's about 0 to 0. My current jobs are linen truck driver (about 45-50 hours a week) and choir director at church, as well as the choir director at my wife's church as she recovers.

I think the key to any league is dedicated players. Without that, you've got nothing. Even trying to match people of the same commitment level is tough (like matching students with nothing but time with working guys like us).

Haven't been to NHL95, but I'm not talking about salary cap. I'm talking about different divisions with caps on how many points you can put on the ice at a time (overall ratings, so you would need to think about who gives you the most bang for your points). But I'm a little busy now. I gotta sleep tonight cause I don't think I'll get a decent night's rest for about 18 years. That's the price you pay when you have a girl.

Okay, here's my idea.

It should run like European soccer leagues do. There are x number of teams in the Premiership, x number in the first division, second division, etc. The teams in each division would play each other once over a given period of time (let's say a month). The team at the top of the standings is the winner and is promoted to the next level and the lowest placed team is relegated to the division below. To make it interesting, there will be a couple of "leagues" (meaning a set of divisions).

We will play without line changes (because it evens teams out) and the leagues will differ by the number of total overall points a player is allowed to put on the ice at any given time. The top division will likely be an open (no cap) where people can duke it out with which ever team they like, no restrictions. Of course you could always take the Islanders and try them here if you want a challenge, but this is likely where the Wings, Hawks and Rangers will hang out. The next division would have a cap of 420 points allowed on the ice at all times, meaning that you can't have Messier 91, Gartner 94, Turcotte 80, Leetch 87, Patrick 86 and whoever and whatever the goalie rating is out there. It's too many points. This more up the alley of the middling teams. The last league would be the toilet bowl league with a cap of say 375 points. This is where the Senators and Sharks have a chance at victory. And if you really love the Wings, you could probably squeeze a team in here with Kocur, Marsh and the Squealer.

Depending on how much time you have to play, you could have a number of teams at any given time. Theoretically you could have a team (perhaps two) in each league (not division). This would allow people with less time (me) to play without having a huge commitment. Of course everything hinges on having enough players to make the promotion and relegation happen. If we had 12 players for each league we could probably make things happen. If we had enough players (or interest) we could tack some different style leagues on, like a drafted league (draft players from any team with a points cap in mind so that the guy with Yzerman doesn't automatically win [no repeated players]) or the revenge league (play a two game series with any two teams in the first game, unlimited points and then reverse the teams for the second game, player with the best GF/GA ratio wins). I'm sure I've forgotten some points, but feel free to ask me questions or show interest. Thanks.

Okay, here's my idea.

It should run like European soccer leagues do. There are x number of teams in the Premiership, x number in the first division, second division, etc. The teams in each division would play each other once over a given period of time (let's say a month). The team at the top of the standings is the winner and is promoted to the next level and the lowest placed team is relegated to the division below. To make it interesting, there will be a couple of "leagues" (meaning a set of divisions).

We will play without line changes (because it evens teams out) and the leagues will differ by the number of total overall points a player is allowed to put on the ice at any given time. The top division will likely be an open (no cap) where people can duke it out with which ever team they like, no restrictions. Of course you could always take the Islanders and try them here if you want a challenge, but this is likely where the Wings, Hawks and Rangers will hang out. The next division would have a cap of 420 points allowed on the ice at all times, meaning that you can't have Messier 91, Gartner 94, Turcotte 80, Leetch 87, Patrick 86 and whoever and whatever the goalie rating is out there. It's too many points. This more up the alley of the middling teams. The last league would be the toilet bowl league with a cap of say 375 points. This is where the Senators and Sharks have a chance at victory. And if you really love the Wings, you could probably squeeze a team in here with Kocur, Marsh and the Squealer.

Depending on how much time you have to play, you could have a number of teams at any given time. Theoretically you could have a team (perhaps two) in each league (not division). This would allow people with less time (me) to play without having a huge commitment. Of course everything hinges on having enough players to make the promotion and relegation happen. If we had 12 players for each league we could probably make things happen. If we had enough players (or interest) we could tack some different style leagues on, like a drafted league (draft players from any team with a points cap in mind so that the guy with Yzerman doesn't automatically win [no repeated players]) or the revenge league (play a two game series with any two teams in the first game, unlimited points and then reverse the teams for the second game, player with the best GF/GA ratio wins). I'm sure I've forgotten some points, but feel free to ask me questions or show interest. Thanks.

I think you're asking an awful lot for people to have to play so many games each month and possibly against a whole new set of people each month. Honestly, promotion/relegation is something I'd like to incorporate into my own league, but I figure I'd need about 40 people minimum in it to keep things interesting.

I do find the idea of a cap on talent used on the ice intriguing, though.

And what does everyone have against one-timers all of a sudden? They're the single greatest innovation of the 16-bit era (in hockey games, at least). Move the puck quickly and get rewarded when the keeper can't react fast enough. Fighting is seriously overrated, too. Let's stop the game while two guys wail on each other for a while and then they both skate over to the penalty box and get 5 minute penalties. Yeah, that doesn't get boring after the 4th time.

Oh, and it's the worst when a fight starts while you were skating up ice on a breakaway.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware that this is a total pipe dream, and as I've previously established I have no time to do this either. However, I feel that I need to rebut against some of the points you've made, Mr. Nest.

I would ammend the number of players per division to 5 and have each player play each other twice. I don't think it would be too tough to play 8 games a month against 4 other people. It's pretty much the same number of games as Cup Chase which I think is a very good template. And if you wanted to (a HUGE if), you could play more by joining the different leagues. I'm thinking that there will be some if not quite a bit of overlap between the leagues as the best players will probably be playing against one another in multiple leagues even if they aren't playing in all leagues.

As far as promotion/relegation, I think you could make it interesting with as few as 10 players, although 15 would certainly be preferable. Noobs would be automatically assigned to the lowest division until they've proven themselves (it would only take 2 cycles to reach the top division if there were 3 divisions). The whole concept may be too deep (number of divisions) and wide (different leagues) to be initially successful and survive. The Tecmo crowd at knobbe could definitely support such a system since there are so many of them.

Unlike many people, I'm not a huge fan of the fighting. I don't consider it a plus or minus in NHLPA's favour and yes, it is very annoying when you're on a breakaway. And the one-timers I'm kind of split on. I don't really like the idea of the one-timer, but it is the only way I can score in 94 so it definitely has its place. Now I'm going to lose every game in Cup Chase because everyone knows my secret. Anyways, if you're interested in having different divisions in Cup Chase, I'd be glad to help you with the adminish stuff. I'm always setting up tourney and leagues for my friends (which don't get finished more often than not) and love doing the work. We've done Nintendo Olympics (twice), SNES Olympics, Puzzle Tourney, Tecmo tourneys (multiple), Tetris (many) and Dr. Mario. I'm so lame that I even made trophies for many of them.

We never did finish the NHLPA 93 tourney, but we did play many drunken nights of "Punch Drunk Glove". Required are: 2 hockey gloves, Genesis, NHL anything and some booze. Lots of booze. Each player starts the game with their bare hands. The first player to score puts on one of the hockey gloves. The next player to score puts on the other one. After that, if you score you get the other guys glove. If you are already wearing both gloves, take a big swig of beer. And you can't hog a glove. You need to alternate gloves when you each have one. To make things harder/more interesting, put a player who sucks out there and designate him as your "Sacco". If you score with him at anytime, drink beer; if you score with him with both gloves on drink twice. Man. That was another super long post. Sorry.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware that this is a total pipe dream, and as I've previously established I have no time to do this either. However, I feel that I need to rebut against some of the points you've made, Mr. Nest.

I would ammend the number of players per division to 5 and have each player play each other twice. I don't think it would be too tough to play 8 games a month against 4 other people. It's pretty much the same number of games as Cup Chase which I think is a very good template. And if you wanted to (a HUGE if), you could play more by joining the different leagues. I'm thinking that there will be some if not quite a bit of overlap between the leagues as the best players will probably be playing against one another in multiple leagues even if they aren't playing in all leagues.

As far as promotion/relegation, I think you could make it interesting with as few as 10 players, although 15 would certainly be preferable. Noobs would be automatically assigned to the lowest division until they've proven themselves (it would only take 2 cycles to reach the top division if there were 3 divisions). The whole concept may be too deep (number of divisions) and wide (different leagues) to be initially successful and survive. The Tecmo crowd at knobbe could definitely support such a system since there are so many of them.

Unlike many people, I'm not a huge fan of the fighting. I don't consider it a plus or minus in NHLPA's favour and yes, it is very annoying when you're on a breakaway. And the one-timers I'm kind of split on. I don't really like the idea of the one-timer, but it is the only way I can score in 94 so it definitely has its place. Now I'm going to lose every game in Cup Chase because everyone knows my secret. Anyways, if you're interested in having different divisions in Cup Chase, I'd be glad to help you with the adminish stuff. I'm always setting up tourney and leagues for my friends (which don't get finished more often than not) and love doing the work. We've done Nintendo Olympics (twice), SNES Olympics, Puzzle Tourney, Tecmo tourneys (multiple), Tetris (many) and Dr. Mario. I'm so lame that I even made trophies for many of them.

We never did finish the NHLPA 93 tourney, but we did play many drunken nights of "Punch Drunk Glove". Required are: 2 hockey gloves, Genesis, NHL anything and some booze. Lots of booze. Each player starts the game with their bare hands. The first player to score puts on one of the hockey gloves. The next player to score puts on the other one. After that, if you score you get the other guys glove. If you are already wearing both gloves, take a big swig of beer. And you can't hog a glove. You need to alternate gloves when you each have one. To make things harder/more interesting, put a player who sucks out there and designate him as your "Sacco". If you score with him at anytime, drink beer; if you score with him with both gloves on drink twice. Man. That was another super long post. Sorry.

In order for the format of my league to work at all, there have to be at least 8 people so that you can have 4 people each week in the Title and Contender matches, and 4 in the Regular matches. Any fewer and it just doesn't work (try it sometime ;)).

In any case, even just 8 people doesn't make for much of a competition. We've got close to 20 now, which is a pretty good number, but if I tried to split it into 2 divisions now, there'd only be 8-10 people in each, and as I said, I don't think that's suitable for competition. Maybe if we make it above 30.

Of course, the other problem with having more than one division in my league is that it's possible that in a given week there would be an odd number of players in each division, meaning that someone (besides me, of course) would be forced into a bye, which I'd like to avoid. It's not a problem with the current setup because I can always give myself a bye, but with divisions that's not entirely possible.

Oh well, maybe it'll happen someday.

In order for the format of my league to work at all, there have to be at least 8 people so that you can have 4 people each week in the Title and Contender matches, and 4 in the Regular matches. Any fewer and it just doesn't work (try it sometime ;)).

In any case, even just 8 people doesn't make for much of a competition. We've got close to 20 now, which is a pretty good number, but if I tried to split it into 2 divisions now, there'd only be 8-10 people in each, and as I said, I don't think that's suitable for competition. Maybe if we make it above 30.

Of course, the other problem with having more than one division in my league is that it's possible that in a given week there would be an odd number of players in each division, meaning that someone (besides me, of course) would be forced into a bye, which I'd like to avoid. It's not a problem with the current setup because I can always give myself a bye, but with divisions that's not entirely possible.

Oh well, maybe it'll happen someday.

I can't really say I agree with too much of what you say. I think the majority of us missed fighting in NHL 94. I agree the fighting in NHL 92 was a little ridiculous (too much), but NHLPA 93's fighting was perfect. About 1-3 fights per game, with better movement than 92's fights.

It's just fun knocking someone out and making them bleed. How does it get old? Fighting is a part of hockey and its stupid not to include it in the game. A fight breaking out when youre on a breakaway might be annoying but hey ITS SUPPOSED BE! LOL! Makes the game realistic like REAL hockey is! I dont get the point about fights getting old though. Kinda like saying one timers get old, etc. But to each his own. I loved the fights in 93. Its what real hockey is all about, and it gives the game a purpose if youre getting blown out.

As for 1-timers...they are fun but honestly they make scoring too easy/predictable sometimes. But I have nothing against them really, it's just, I kinda like 93 better without them the way it is. More fun to score in less predicatable ways and 93 is really great at that. You have to really think about how to score and not rely on the 1-timer all the time. Makes your brain work and in turn you come up with some fun ways to score.

Also your point about 8 people not being enough for a league I disagree with. You say thats not enough for a competition but I think the exact opposite. Smaller leagues tend to survive because you develop a community amongst the players. Its smaller so its more personal, and its a lot easier to get all the games played. Huge leagues are great in theory, but honestly its almost impossible to keep track of 30 guys and the competition (just like real sports) get really diluted with so many players. Best to go with a small league of talented players imo. Back in the day there were only 6 teams and then 12, and many people will tell you this was hockey's greatest era. You dont need massive amounts of teams for a fun league. In fact, the less the better for me. Its about quality, not quantity.

But hey, dont listen to me. I'm just an NHLPA 93 fanboy so my view is biased as heck! ;)

I guess I mustn't have been very clear. In the theoretical league that will never happen the winner of each division will be the one that placed highest in the standings. No playoff for the title or contender match. That's what I meant by European style. Moot point since it'll never happen. I suppose at the end of 8 months or so we could have a "Champions League" where the winners of each month face off in a single elimination tourney.

By making it based on the round robin standings, this format eliminates the need for the title contender and title match. It would make for smaller leagues (but hopefully more dedicated ones, as nhlpa93rules suggests) but that's where the beauty of the promotion and relegation comes in. On the downside, there's less excitement as there's no official and definitive title match. But it does provide more excitement for us basement dwellers as we have an insignificant title to play for.

I am not knocking the Cup Chase format. I like it a lot, but I love theorizing about epic leagues that never come to fruition. JA

the sprites are better in 93 the goalie looks like hes is on the ice the goalie is higher off the ice in 94 and I like the 93 playoff screen the western teams are on the west side *boom boom court ajourned* :)

Dont get me wrong here I love me some 93, but there are several reasons why I think 94 is better: One timers, it adds some diversity to scoring and really breaks up the monotony of pulling dekes and slap shots all day.

Ea also omitted the team logos on the ice surface, which I really didn't understand.

But the biggest reason why I think 94 prevails as the better game is beacuse of the way the golies flop around like fish out of water on what should be just a rebound or a save.

Just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...
NHL'93 WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D;):super_man::victory:

NHL94 has the nostalgia, the flow, the feel, the sounds, the moves, the one timers, the character....

Yes, it's missing blood and fighting and i do miss the fighting - but ask yourself, is that what makes a game? Is that makes a game a great game?

In my opinion, 94 is hands down the best hockey game ever released and probably forever.

I prefer NHLPA '93 and it's not even close. The one-timer, to me, leads to a homogeny of scoring, as players wind up relying on it to an extreme extent. If you play NHLPA '93 with a player of relatively equal skill, you're forced to be creative on offense and defense, rather than just lining up one-timers from between the circles, which go in half the time. Yes, you can score on a deke or a wraparound in '93 with any halfway decent speedy player, but there are defensive strategies you can use to minimize that. Even if the skills between players aren't so equal, the disparity in talent amongst the teams allows for some pretty good handicapping.

The other thing is that in NHLPA '93, more than any other EA game, imo, the abilities of the players mean more, especially, as I've been discovering, offensive and defensive awareness, which pretty much dictate the effectiveness of your AI-controlled teammates. Not only that, the various teams are constructed, ability-wise, to employ a variety of different strategies. Playing a game with Washington isn't the same as playing a game with Detroit. And some of my friends have even figured out a way to use fighting as a weapon. It's a huge boost to remove a certain key player for the length of a period (in five minute games) with your otherwise-wortheless goon.

Some friends and I have also developed a league system that we think is pretty ingenious. You need twelve players (less than they have in some of the NHL 94 online leagues). Every player controls two teams, one from the Campbell, one from the Wales. A draft order is randomly determined. The first player can pick from either conference, but if he picks the first team in the Campbell Conference, he picks last in the Wales. For instance, the guy who got the first pick this year picked Detroit in the Campbell, meaning he got the last pick in the Wales (and wound up with Ottawa). He picked wisely, anyway, as Detroit wound up winning the league in our first year.

Each team plays 32 games, four each against teams in the same division, two each against teams in the other division in conference (none against teams in the other conference). Playoffs are old-school division style. Settings are five minute periods, line changes on, all penalties on except offsides (although we're considering adding it for this upcoming season). The only house rules are that you can't do the "pass goal" (penalty is playing without a goaltender until the other team scores, and if you do it in the final minute, you forfeit the game). There was only one violation of this rule, accidently committed by yours truly when Jeff Brown's center ice feed to Brendan Shanahan abruptly sailed forward and beat Kelly Hrudey five-hole. Thankfully, it occurred in the second period, and I promptly shoved the puck into my own net to get the game back on track.

I prefer NHLPA '93 and it's not even close. The one-timer, to me, leads to a homogeny of scoring, as players wind up relying on it to an extreme extent. If you play NHLPA '93 with a player of relatively equal skill, you're forced to be creative on offense and defense, rather than just lining up one-timers from between the circles, which go in half the time. Yes, you can score on a deke or a wraparound in '93 with any halfway decent speedy player, but there are defensive strategies you can use to minimize that. Even if the skills between players aren't so equal, the disparity in talent amongst the teams allows for some pretty good handicapping.

The other thing is that in NHLPA '93, more than any other EA game, imo, the abilities of the players mean more, especially, as I've been discovering, offensive and defensive awareness, which pretty much dictate the effectiveness of your AI-controlled teammates. Not only that, the various teams are constructed, ability-wise, to employ a variety of different strategies. Playing a game with Washington isn't the same as playing a game with Detroit. And some of my friends have even figured out a way to use fighting as a weapon. It's a huge boost to remove a certain key player for the length of a period (in five minute games) with your otherwise-wortheless goon.

Some friends and I have also developed a league system that we think is pretty ingenious. You need twelve players (less than they have in some of the NHL 94 online leagues). Every player controls two teams, one from the Campbell, one from the Wales. A draft order is randomly determined. The first player can pick from either conference, but if he picks the first team in the Campbell Conference, he picks last in the Wales. For instance, the guy who got the first pick this year picked Detroit in the Campbell, meaning he got the last pick in the Wales (and wound up with Ottawa). He picked wisely, anyway, as Detroit wound up winning the league in our first year.

Each team plays 32 games, four each against teams in the same division, two each against teams in the other division in conference (none against teams in the other conference). Playoffs are old-school division style. Settings are five minute periods, line changes on, all penalties on except offsides (although we're considering adding it for this upcoming season). The only house rules are that you can't do the "pass goal" (penalty is playing without a goaltender until the other team scores, and if you do it in the final minute, you forfeit the game). There was only one violation of this rule, accidently committed by yours truly when Jeff Brown's center ice feed to Brendan Shanahan abruptly sailed forward and beat Kelly Hrudey five-hole. Thankfully, it occurred in the second period, and I promptly shoved the puck into my own net to get the game back on track.

Money, great post.. you're on the hfboards.com forum, right?

" Playing a game with Washington isn't the same as playing a game with Detroit. And some of my friends have even figured out a way to use fighting as a weapon. It's a huge boost to remove a certain key player for the length of a period (in five minute games) with your otherwise-wortheless goon. "

-This would be true in a standard no line changes game but in a game with line changes on each team definitely has their own character and feel.

"I prefer NHLPA '93 and it's not even close. The one-timer, to me, leads to a homogeny of scoring, as players wind up relying on it to an extreme extent. If you play NHLPA '93 with a player of relatively equal skill, you're forced to be creative on offense and defense, rather than just lining up one-timers from between the circles, which go in half the time. "

-Okay, I'd agree with you here if there weren't ways to stop this "homogeny" of scoring. Play me one time and I'll stop all those silly one timers with manual goalie. As a matter of fact.. you should probably play in our league and you'll find the plethora of ways to score and how to counteract the "usual" one timer setup. Also, not being creative on offense is not a result of the game but a result of how the end user is playing the game. If I'm playing someone who knows how to stop certain one timers and slap shots, i have to adjust my style to wrist shots, hoping for a rebound and quick put in...

Money, great post.. you're on the hfboards.com forum, right?

Lou! Yeah, one and the same.

" Playing a game with Washington isn't the same as playing a game with Detroit. And some of my friends have even figured out a way to use fighting as a weapon. It's a huge boost to remove a certain key player for the length of a period (in five minute games) with your otherwise-wortheless goon. "

-This would be true in a standard no line changes game but in a game with line changes on each team definitely has their own character and feel.

True, which is why I prefer line changes. I actually found it odd that the online leagues here don't use them.

-Okay, I'd agree with you here if there weren't ways to stop this "homogeny" of scoring. Play me one time and I'll stop all those silly one timers with manual goalie. As a matter of fact.. you should probably play in our league and you'll find the plethora of ways to score and how to counteract the "usual" one timer setup. Also, not being creative on offense is not a result of the game but a result of how the end user is playing the game. If I'm playing someone who knows how to stop certain one timers and slap shots, i have to adjust my style to wrist shots, hoping for a rebound and quick put in...

I'll concede the point. I'd happily join one of these leagues, but I don't really play enough of 94 to pose much of a challenge.

We considered playing NHL 94 for the second year of the league, but after playing around with it for a couple of weeks, decided pretty much unanimously to stick with '93. It has nothing to do with the fighting or blood, which are both great, it's just a lot more chaotic, more wide open and fun. I don't think EA has topped it yet.

I'm assuming you play as Joisey in one of these leagues?

Lou! Yeah, one and the same.

True, which is why I prefer line changes. I actually found it odd that the online leagues here don't use them.

I'll concede the point. I'd happily join one of these leagues, but I don't really play enough of 94 to pose much of a challenge.

We considered playing NHL 94 for the second year of the league, but after playing around with it for a couple of weeks, decided pretty much unanimously to stick with '93. It has nothing to do with the fighting or blood, which are both great, it's just a lot more chaotic, more wide open and fun. I don't think EA has topped it yet.

I'm assuming you play as Joisey in one of these leagues?

Well, my "team" is Calgary.. I have a hard time scoring with NJ sometimes.. they feel a bit lathargic when I play with them. But right now I play as Tampa, what a challenge it's been.. they can surprise a lot of people sometimes. I believe I'm 18-20 and man, some of the players in this league make you work real hard for some of these wins, some real great talent out there.

BTW... don't confuse me with the moderator, LouIsGod.. I'm a different guy but come from the same place, opinion wise :D

PS.. I saw the name, Moneyp..and thought hmmm maybe it's the dude from hfboards and then after I read your post it was clear to me it was you. I always stopped to read your posts as they were always clear, concise and insightful.

PPS.... Who's winning the cup this year?

Well, my "team" is Calgary.. I have a hard time scoring with NJ sometimes.. they feel a bit lathargic when I play with them. But right now I play as Tampa, what a challenge it's been.. they can surprise a lot of people sometimes. I believe I'm 18-20 and man, some of the players in this league make you work real hard for some of these wins, some real great talent out there.

BTW... don't confuse me with the moderator, LouIsGod.. I'm a different guy but come from the same place, opinion wise :D

Gotcha, and much appreciated on the compliments. So what's your handle on hfboards?

PPS.... Who's winning the cup this year?

You mean in so-called real life? ;) I'll be rooting hard for my Ducks (and the way they're playing right now, anything's possible) but I think it's the year of the Wing. Babs has them sufficiently motivated for a Cup run.

Wow. Great posts guys. If you ever need someone for that NHLPA 93 league (one team per conference) I'm your man. I love being the crappy teams (SJ, TB, Ott etc.) and trying to scratch out a defensive gem. But I have to take issue with line changes. I don't know why people love line changes. I can't stand them. When you play with line changes it gets way harder to compete with the best teams (depthwise). If you play without line changes with Tampa Bay, you can actually put out a decent group of forwards (Semenov, Bradley and Hartman) who can score like crazy. With line changes, you end up just holding on until your good players get on there (yeah, I'm talking about you Dan Vincelette). I just like to be able to use all the teams without having things totally uneven.

Ever think about drafting players for your NHLPA93 league? NOSE is pretty easy to use. I was thinking of having a league where you draft players and at least half of the players have to be born within 300 km of the "franchise base" which would be decided by the player after drafting them. You could have Dynamo Moscow (Bure, Mogilny, etc.), Salmon Arm Salmons (Yzerman, Sakic, anyone from BC), the Davidson Goliaths (Fleury, Clark, Jeff Brown) or the Viking Vikings (Sutter, Sutter and Sutter). I think that would be really cool. No line changes of course, as it would be tough enough to get 3 people from the same area without people poaching.

What are these hfboards of which you speak? I'm intrigued.

Wow. Great posts guys. If you ever need someone for that NHLPA 93 league (one team per conference) I'm your man. I love being the crappy teams (SJ, TB, Ott etc.) and trying to scratch out a defensive gem. But I have to take issue with line changes. I don't know why people love line changes. I can't stand them. When you play with line changes it gets way harder to compete with the best teams (depthwise). If you play without line changes with Tampa Bay, you can actually put out a decent group of forwards (Semenov, Bradley and Hartman) who can score like crazy. With line changes, you end up just holding on until your good players get on there (yeah, I'm talking about you Dan Vincelette).

In our league, we call that "strategy." ;)

But hey, our last season saw Tampa Bay, line changes and all, eke out a fourth place finish in the Norris and qualify for the playoffs. Okay, they were summarily destroyed by Detroit, but still. Small victories! We gave the coach our faux-Adams award for that performance.

(In case you're curious: Jeremy Roenick won the faux-Hart, Phil Housley the faux-Norris, Don Beaupre the faux-Vezina, Vancouver Canucks the faux-President's Trophy, and Stevie Y the faux-Conn Smythe upon leading the faux-Wings to the faux-Cup. Faux sho.)

Ever think about drafting players for your NHLPA93 league? NOSE is pretty easy to use.

The only nose I'm aware of is the one on my face. What is it? How does it work?

What are these hfboards of which you speak? I'm intrigued.

www.hfboards.com

Best hockey bulletin board out there, which means it has the requisite number of trolls and lunkheads, but that's what the ignore feature is for. Enough intelligent, knowledgeable posters to make it worth the occasional visit.

well 77 made a tough guy legends rom with shoebottom al secord smyl brashear clark rich sutter dave the hammer shultz

morrow probert ................... guys like 'em

• 5 months later...
Guest cr0ssbar94
It has nothing to do with the fighting or blood, which are both great, it's just a lot more chaotic, more wide open and fun. I don't think EA has topped it yet.

Dude, I couldn't agree MORE!

Aren't the puck bounces way more fun in 93 than 94?

Dude do you play online? I'd love to play you a game of 93 sometime. I know your league probably isn't online, is it?

I'm just as good in 93 as I am in 94, if not better. My career league record is 50-19 and I'm 1 in my division right now in Evan's league, so I like to think of myself as a good player who would pose a decent challenge.

If you have AIM, my aim is "cr0ssbar"