NHL'94 Forums

AJ retires

angryjay93

The topic is not a misprint, it is true, AJ is putting the keyboard away.

Why you ask? Lots of reasons.

After all these 2nd place finishes, i just dont have the same desire i used to try and fight through another season, another playoff run only to fall short in the end. Some people get frustrated when they dont make the playoffs, i get frustrated doing everything i can to get to the finals and lose. Also i rarely ever seem to get my hands on any sort of legitimate star player and it gets tiresome constantly fighting up hill battles. I see other guys always getting some stud and when i try to do the same thing, i get nothing. Just look at my gdl 4 team, its an utter joke in terms of star power. And when i was on the verge of getting JR in FVHL, someone took advantage of the system and signed him to a higher amount than i was going to be able to and i decided not to lose the guys i had already signed.

Also, it doesnt seem as if my style of play is gonna be able to hold up much longer, guys are going with speed and light weight dudes and just want to skate through people. And when that is all guys seem to want to do anymore, it makes the game be pretty stale, ive always loved variety and im starting to see it dwindle. My slow down game and puck possession just seems to be ineffective in terms of actual success.

Also many of the newer guys i seem to run across just dont have the same attitude or respect that people used to when they came into the league. I know i can be abrasive and a pain in the ass at times, theres no denying that. But when people get butt hurt, say i back stabbed them, call me cheap, refuse to play me, etc., all because of what happens on the ice or in a chat room, it gets really tiresome.

Also, ill be starting my new job in about a month or two and i just wont have the time to devote to all the leagues im in and be able to practice an adequate amount. So its easier for me to not have to deal with the frustration or people who do happen to get on my nerves.

I will say though, i did have a lot of fun moments and meet a lot of really cool people and had will certainly have some memories to take from all this. But i just cant deal with all the negatives anymore.

As of this moment, AJ is officially retired as a player and after the GDL 4 season, a replacement will be needed for the role of commissioner.

This deserves a verse from the Hova ...

Look what you made me do,Look what I made for you

Knew if I paid my dues,How will they pay you

When you first come into the game,They try to play you

Then you drop you a couple of hits,Look how they wave to you

From Marcy to Madision square

To the only thing that matters is just a matter of years (yea)

As fate would have it, Jay's status appears

To be at an all time high,Perfect time to say goodbye

When I come back like Jordan,Wearing the 4-5

It aint to play games with you

It's to aim at you,Probaly maim you

If I owe you I'm blowing you to smitheriens

Cocksuker take one for your team

And I need you to remember one thing

I came I saw I conquered

From record sales to sold out concerts

So motherfucker if you want this encore

I need you to scream,til your lungs get sore.

RIP AJ - a great player and ambassador for the game

i'll have to second sebe's notion here, timing is slightly coincidental dont you think? if you are serious though, i think he raises some good points about being courteous and respectful. Negativity can definitely wear on even the most grizzled players

AJ, first of all, congrats on the new position. Hope you get to take some time and enjoy a nice, long vacation before you start.

It's too bad to see you retire since you were always a worthy opponent.

I do want to second what you said about the negativity. Although I've pseudo retired (I don't know if I could ever face hanging up my Gens pad for good), the attitude/respect level lately has had a lot to do with why I'm still not more involved in these leagues anymore. If I ever sit down and play b/c I feel an obligation to play rather than a desire to play, I should take a break. It sounds like you are somewhat in that place.

Even though this is an official retirement post from you, I think you got some leagues left in you. Maybe not over the next couple months or maybe even next couple years but I hope to see you back in the mix at some point.

Best of luck with the new position!

Please tell me this is an April Fools joke...

If it isn't, best of luck with your new job. That's too bad you are leaving but hopefully you will make a return someday. It was great playing with you man, you got a ton of respect and those Bure vs. Sandstrom battles were extremely fun :dal_skater_hand_grab:

i don't like you. everyone knows that. that being said you are one of the best and i believe to be the best you have to beat the best. Maybe people refuse to play you and dont like you because you go out of your way to make them not like you. i for instance had my beef with you over 2 issues and when the dust had settled i asked you to put it behind us and move on. My request to squash the beef was denied you told me to stick it!

well a.j you are an excellent player one of the best but maybe if you changed the way you conduct buisness you would start winning championships.......

just a thought

my peace offer is still there and i still hope you dont quit

well all i can say is that is was alot of fun putting u out in 7 games in your 1st season here lol but from then on you have slaughtered me and i wont miss that at all haha.does this mean we are going to wait another month for gdl to get going ?ive been off of work for 2 weeks now and i havent did ANYTHING but sit here and play this damn time consuming addictive game !!!! and if anyone should retire it should be pathetic old me!!!

Really???? I didn't get a chance to really play you or get to know you but this news was so monumental that SEBE (i think) text messaged me on my cell phone to tell me you retired.. at first I was like okayy wtf, which AJ.. then i was likee OHHH AngryJay lol. oh man wat a funky text msg in the late of night .

i think its an april fools joke tho, ure too good to retire especially when youre playing the best nhl94 so far

So i guess its no april fools joke....

Our dealings on the forum havent always been the most benign, however we have been able to work things out. We are losing a great vet with your retirement. I can understand most of your reasons for leaving, and if u feel that the newer coaches are disrespecting u something needs to be done about it, especially if u arent the only one noticing it. I myself havent noticed this trend but im sure it exists.

As for your style being in effective we all know that u are one of the greatest and your style is dangerous and unique. I know i fear u, and alot of coaches do.

Sad to see u go, hope to see u in a league sometimes soon perhaps.

Good luck to you at your new job.

So i guess its no april fools joke....

Our dealings on the forum havent always been the most benign, however we have been able to work things out. We are losing a great vet with your retirement. I can understand most of your reasons for leaving, and if u feel that the newer coaches are disrespecting u something needs to be done about it, especially if u arent the only one noticing it. I myself havent noticed this trend but im sure it exists.

As for your style being in effective we all know that u are one of the greatest and your style is dangerous and unique. I know i fear u, and alot of coaches do.

Sad to see u go, hope to see u in a league sometimes soon perhaps.

Good luck to you at your new job.

Thats got to be shortest tenure as Commishiner I have ever seen! Kgman is sad to see u go and wont be the same without you (probably alot better) lol GL at your new job hope it works out (i know walking dogs must be tough) .........this now puts the odds on Kg repeating at 1.01/ 1

I think this one has run out of legs.

Sebe, you called it, it was an april fools, theres no way im retiring quite yet.

While some of what i said is true, there's also a lot of b.s. in there, i enjoy lighting the lamp far too much to stop now. I cant let you guys rest all too easy and just have me walk away. Ill still be in all the leagues and commish (for now) despite the fact that i will be starting my new job in the near future.

And to sungod especially:

I aint no damn Indian, i will not accept your hollow peace offering, history has a tendency to repeat itself and im gonna stick to that feeling with you.

hey can me and aj swap teams so he gets bure???

who the heck you asking? im the commish and why couldnt you give him to me when i asked to make a trade for him before the deadline? now you wanna give him to me? thats just breaking my heart. more whoopins for hokkefan!!! :D

who the heck you asking? im the commish and why couldnt you give him to me when i asked to make a trade for him before the deadline? now you wanna give him to me? thats just breaking my heart. more whoopins for hokkefan!!! :D

LOL IVE BEEN PLAYIN MAN MESS AND BURE ARE GOIN TO CRUSH HIS SEASON