NHL'94 Forums

Teaser

if you can't decrypt the message in the first attachment, you obviously haven't spent enough time in a hex editor looking for values.... ;)

Now, can anyone explain to me why NHL94 (& 95) stores an additional instance of the text "New York Islanders" and "New York Rangers" at offset F7CB2 onwards... which it actually uses when cycling thru teams on the main menu... which inturn ignores the team name within the team data? :)

post-11-1118243363_thumb.jpg

post-11-1118243387_thumb.jpg

You know I love you bud. Seriously if I wasn't already married (and you were a blonde with huge cans) I'd put a ring on you.)

so did your body over mind preference determine in the selection process for your wife? :)

On the NYI/NYR issue, I found the fix.

On a standard rom, goto F7C96 and change the value to 0000 2D2E which tells the rom to look at the team name offset for the NYI, not the specially allocated offset (which appears shortly after) to allow the game to display the extra Islanders text.

Do the equivalent for NHR.... see attachment for reference.

It doesn't break the rom. works as expected. Special text can be changed to what ever with no effect as the rom no longer uese it. In my pic, you'll see I set it to FFFF FFFF .... just for the F*** of it...

I should be able to integrate this into the editor without much heartache at all.

post-11-1118325182_thumb.jpg

post-11-1118325192_thumb.jpg

Actually I managed to land both. I somehow fooled her into marrying me. :)

Awesome news. You continue to marvel. Can't wait to try the editor in it's current state.

Wboy,

First of all, I want to say that your hard work and devotion to your editor is priceless. To see you make new finds and achievements is awesome. Your latest find is really amazing.

I knew you would have to add the swapping of free bytes throughout the rom to make your editor worth-while. This editor is going to make things so much easier (and I won't have to keep making tutorials on how to edit the game haha j/k). Do you enjoy playing this game as much as you do editing it?

Again, I just wanted to say that it's so cool to see that you're working on this project again. Can't wait for a release to test out!

-Evan

... Your latest find is really amazing

...I knew you would have to add the swapping of free bytes throughout the rom to make your editor worth-while

...Do you enjoy playing this game as much as you do editing it?

....Again, I just wanted to say that it's so cool to see that you're working on this project again.

-Evan

Well, its not really that amazing, just an idea to store free bytes between the end of the line data and before the player roster data. Considering there is team offsets that tracked where such data starts... I hoped you could store empty data inbetween without affecting the rom ... and todate it looks like it works without a glitch. While in theory you could do it yourself, you'd go nuts after completing one rom manually in the hex editor as there is a sh!t load of byte shifting and offset adjustments that need to be made. Just one of those job made easy with a computer...

Hmmm, while the preview release was limited, i'd still take it over a hex editor any day! :P I'm sure many others would too agree... well the handful of those who received it! :)

I don't play NHL94 much at all. I don't mind it but its not my personal favorite of the series. Plus I prefer playing against mates when I do, not the computer. At the moment though, I'm only play to test hacks.... as I'm enjoying the challenge of hacking the roms more at the moment...

As for working on it, I never stopped... I've just had a bit more spare time of late to progress it....

Cool, this is good news!

Will this editor be able to edit the Sega CD version as well?

For the 5th time (based on all the different site/forums/threads you've asked :)), yes in theory from what I've seen, but not at the moment.