NHL'94 Forums

SNES Draft League - what kind of interest?

halifax

Just throwing this out there should I decide to run one.

1. Who would be interested in an SNES draft league?

2. what kind if rules do you should be put in place?

3. how many teams should there be in the league?

4. how many players should be drafted?

5. how many games would be ideal for a season?

6. anyone interested in building a website?

7. anyone interested to look after league stats(not sure if player stats can be done or not)?

thanks.

Alright. you know i want a draft league really bad. so bad i even started playing in gens >.<

We should have as many teams as we have available coaches so none of this no games getting played bs.

so anywhere between 16 and 24.

The amount of players depends on the rules? i suppose.

If we play line changes on they every team has to draft a full roster. if not, then i say go with (roughly) 6 forwards 4 defence 2-3 goalies.

STATS! Im no expert in the set up but if someone does it ill gladly tend to them.

I found out that in the gens leagues, its nothing fancy, just a big ass data base. they save stats at the end of the game, then upload them.

and EVRYTHING, does itself. every single stat. and even the standings. Automatic. and apparently its not that hard to do.

so maybe we can get someone to make that. i might know someone.

but the biggest thing is the rosters. you'll do it all by hand? sure ill help. we can get a team.

and Will there be a trading period?

i say 82 games :D

but im sure thats not do able. so lets do 40? only 1-2 games per team is too little. should be AT LEAST 2 games.

In the draft, I think every coach should draft out of every position as close to at least once as possible.

Whoever wants in AND is committed enough, but I think 12 might be the lower limit.

At least 2 goalies and probably 10 skaters.

2 vs. each if there are 17-26 players, 3 vs. each for 11-15, 4 vs. each for 7-10 players.

6. anyone interested in building a website?

Not I, said the mouse.

7. anyone interested to look after league stats(not sure if player stats can be done or not)?

Not I, said the dog.

thanks.

If we play line changes on they every team has to draft a full roster. if not, then i say go with (roughly) 6 forwards 4 defence 2-3 goalies.

Just do 2 goalies. Most poeple draft their 2nd goalie last. a 3rd goalie would be even more pointless.

Don't do full rosters. I do like the idea of line changes, but drafting 9/6/2 would take forever with 20+ teams unless you came up with some interesting/revolutionary way of doing it, like letting people pick two players at once each round other than the first..

STATS! Im no expert in the set up but if someone does it ill gladly tend to them.

I found out then in the gens leagues, its nothing fancy, just a big ass data base. they save stats at the end of the game, then upload them.

and EVRYTHING, does itself. every single stat. and even the standings. Automatic. and apparently its not that hard to do.

It's actually pretty darn hard (and very fancy :D). Even if you already have a few hundred hours of experience doing web/database programming, putting it all together and making sure the stats work between seasons, and when coaches switch teams, and when rosters change at the end of the season.. It's a LOT of work. Writing the code(queries) to pull the correct data from the database can be really frustrating when it doesn't work and you can't figure out why.

I have a system that i'm going to make freely available that will do seasons. An early version of it is in use by the Dynasty League and the FVHL. You could probably easily just re-write the savegame parser to parse SNES games instead of GENS games. It'll be ready in a few weeks I think. I've stopped giving out help with it, though, so you'd be on your own getting it set up and running, but it'd save months of work.. I've been working on it since 2005 or 2006.

oh, and my system's web interface is really ugly (i'm no graphics designer)

but the biggest thing is the rosters. you'll do it all by hand? sure ill help. we can get a team.

and Will there be a trading period?

I'm not sure how well trades work in my system.. I think the FVHL league is going to guinea pig it.

1. Who would be interested in an SNES draft league?

I'm so interested it hurts.

whatever

20?

10 skaters, 2 goalies

Yeah i think if there was a draft league poeple would sign up even tho you may not generate a ton of interest on this thread.

And if you think about it. If you spent the hours working that youll spend mKing the rom, you will make more then it would cost to have a NOSE made :D

i would definitley be interested.

the number of coaches wouldn't matter to me as long as there is high interest so minimal replacements...

2 goalies max is all thats needed, i play with st. louis in both cap and classic league and if anyone's ever played with them before, you'll know that Cujo is their only goalie (no backup). i actually kinda like it cause even if he's getting blown out i gotta leave him in, so i don't even worry about my goalie and therefore he usually plays awesome every game.

for the players, it would depend on line changes or not, no more than 6 forwards and 4 d if linechanges are off.

as for the stats, i would love to have them in the league, but unfortunately i'm not a good programmer or anything so it would depend on how much work other people wanted to do.

i'm currently trying to learn how to create webpages (from literally no knowledge at all, i actually have a book for dummies that i'm reading now hahaha) so i wouldn't mind making a webpage but it could take quite a while before i'm actually ready to create a good one.

I would be interested to play but I'm not going to help out with this at all. Too busy right now.

I'm considering setting up a short SNES tournament, though.