NHL'94 Forums

Blitz League - Draft / Protecting Players

The draft will start some time this week. There will be 6 draft rounds this season (7 in subsequent seasons, I think; might be 8 depending on how the math works out). Teams will have 12 players (6F, 4D, 2G).

Draft Process

Here is how it works in the first season (later seasons will be a bit different):

Note: At no point in the draft can you have protected+drafted more than 2 goalies, 4 defensemen, or 6 forwards.

1. Protect 3 players on your team.
    • Send me a list of 3 players on your current team you want to keep/protect. (use forum private message or catch me on AIM - I can't get offline AIM messages for some reason, so make sure I acknowledge that I got your picks)
    • I will make public the protected player lists all at the same time, so you can't make choices based on the other coaches' choices. I have already made my picks (so I can't change them: key number is 78).
    • You get to keep these 3 players (this season).
    • So if you're BUF, you might pick Mogilny, Fuhr, and one other guy.

[*]Draft 3 rounds from the unprotected players

• The players not protected in step 1 are all available to be drafted from.
  • We will draft for 3 rounds.
  • Drafting will be in the same order for each of these 3 rounds (default order below), from 1/HFD to 18/CHI.

[*]Protect 3 more players from your team

• Going back to your team's original roster, pick 3 guys who have not yet been protected/drafted.
  • You get to keep these 3 players (this season).
  • Again, forum message the picks to me, or catch me on AIM.
  • I'll make these public all at the same time, again.

[*]At this point, you can start trading players and/or remaining draft picks in this season.

[*]Finally, draft 3 more rounds from the unprotected players

• The players not protected or drafted in steps 1-3 are all available to be drafted from.
  • We will draft for 3 rounds.
  • Drafting order will be: Rd4: reverse order (18/CHI to 1/HFD). Rd5: default order (1/HFD to 18/CHI). Rd6: reverse order (18/CHI to 1/HFD).

[*]Free agent transactions (probably 1 per 24 hour period max allowed, each coach)

Draft Order

Draft Order was determined by worst Ron Barr rating first and, where tied, by lowest rated top player first (PIT=DET=75, Lemieux=99, Yzerman=95, so DET drafts before PIT).

Rounds 1,2,3, and 5 follow this order.

Rounds 4 and 6 are in the reverse order.

0. TEAM - AIM name ( forum name )

1. HFD - minddefect ( MindDefect )
  2. EDM - Icestorm NHL94 ( IceStorm70 )
  3. DAL - smozoma ( smozoma )
  4. STL - BeefJerkyRules6 ( Bo Knows NHL94 )
  5. PHI - snoboarder3211 ( Carse )
  6. WSH - hokkeefan2 ( hokkeefan )
  7. VAN - WagsTh ( Wags13 )
  8. TOR - TessLog ( Logan )
  9. WPG - Vocally Caged ( CamKneely )
  10. MTL - Dervin36 ( Dervin )
  11. BUF - maddmac94 ( dmac )
  12. NYR - thegr8199kings ( thegr8199 )
  13. L.A - vinniersmith ( kupuck19 )
  14. CGY - Rage93 ( chaos )
  15. DET - bigchiefjay1016 ( Shifty )
  16. PIT - sebe82 ( Sebe_The_Legend )
  17. BOS - flamingpavelbure ( The Russian Rocket )
  18. CHI - metzgerism ( metzgerism )

Draft Guide

I made an excel sheet that should be useful in the draft.

Here: Blitz_League_Player_List_s0v3.zip

If you don't have Excel, you can get OpenOffice or use Google Docs (which is really cool)

Trading

For the sake of simplicity in the first season, there will be no trading until after the second set of protected players are made official/public (so when everyone has 9 players).

You can not have more than 2 goalies, 4 defensemen, or 6 forwards at any time.

You can move up to 6 players, including draft picks.

If you trade a guy away, you can't trade to get him back this season (the genesis guys have faces, and therefore feelings. he doesnt' want to come back.)

Free Agents

I suspect that there will be a lot of free agent activity, so I will need to come up with a scheme to prevent people from rushing in and taking the good free agents before anyone else gets a chance. I guess I'd just say 1 free agent transaction per 24 hours?

Parity

I know the teams won't end up equal the first season, but I hope they're alright. It'll be more balanced in subsequent seasons.

Next Season's Draft

Next season, instead of just letting people pick 3 players to keep, you rank all 12 of your players from most wanted to least wanted. Then, using some random algorithm, I will choose ranks to drop. The lower/worse on the list a player is, the more likely he is to get dropped. Higher on the list, less likely to get dropped. You will lose 3 of your top 6, and probably 4 of your bottom 6.

For example, you might lose ranks 1,4,6, 7,9,11,12

I think this league should take the first step in limiting amount of trades a coach can do. Also, that team should not be allowed to trade back for the player he might of traded earlier in the draft process.

I think this league should take the first step in limiting amount of trades a coach can do. Also, that team should not be allowed to trade back for the player he might of traded earlier in the draft process.

I second that notion.

I concur. So does Hokkee, actually.

For now, I'll say..

You can move 6 players max (including draft picks).

And yes, if you trade a guy, you can't get him back. he doesn't want to come back to your team this season.

Sound about right?

I concur. So does Hokkee, actually.

For now, I'll say..

You can move 6 players max (including draft picks).

And yes, if you trade a guy, you can't get him back. he doesn't want to come back to your team this season.

Sound about right?

Sounds good to me.