NHL'94 Forums

Name that editor?

Well, as all you hex editing zombies (err... addicts) await the release of the editor I am working on, I thought I'd pick your brain and get some feedback on proposed, or even your own suggested names for it...

The preview release was branded as "GenEAHE" - Genesis EA Hockey Editor.

I've kind of grown old of this name before its official release (sad hey! :)), plus its a bit limited to future console rom support with "Gen" in the name.

Of late, I've been thinking of calling it "Backcheck", with a slogan of the likes of - The Retro EA Hockey Editor for Genesis [& SegaCD - one day] [& possibly SNES - well, maybe one day, no promises]

As I took a small break from coding, I had a go at an logo/icon. It's simple in look, but the genesis looking puck gets the retro console message across I feel regardless of the final name the editor could take on.

This is where your comments, suggestions and ideas come in...

Like of any of the already used/suggested names?

Think you've got any better name idea's yourself... please post them...

Hey, if your a keen graphic artist (err... Mack), feel free to design a logo/icon, or use the one attached and plaster your suggested name and slogan in a splash screen like design.

I'll personally make the final decision on the name taken on, but credit will be given within the editor to anyone who suggests a name I may take on...

Be creative!!!

wboy

PS. Evan, you may want to consider increasing the "Global Space Left", its getting very low.

post-11-1119107738_thumb.jpg

post-11-1119107745.png

How 'bout: NHL 94 Editor? hehe, how original. :) If there is a logo, maybe it should have NHL 94 somewhere on it, maybe a pic of a player or something. I do like the puck logo.

How 'bout: NHL 94 Editor? hehe, how original. :)  If there is a logo, maybe it should have NHL 94 somewhere on it, maybe a pic of a player or something.  I do like the puck logo.

It supports all roms in the EA/NHL series so I don't want to brand it with any 94 only impression, even though I do understand its the unanimous favorite of the series.

I would be honoured bud. I'll have some up for you tomorrow.

I like the puck too but it reminds me of a curling rock for some reason.

Well you're lucky that I'm one of the 5 or so aussies that knows what curling is! :P

Actually, its not that *unknown* as it was featured and explained on TV here during the last winter olympics.

If I had the right tools, I would of done the logo in a 3d package of somes sorts to make it look at tad more proper with lighting and reflections.

For an hour of play in a 2D graphics editing package, I decided to keep it simple (didn't mess with gradient shades etc), and it'll do for now. I like the concept of the idea so maybe the logo will get a update in the near future. I'll concentrate on getting the damn editor released first! :)

I created a simple little NHL 94 cartridge icon as a shortcut to my roms folder.  I think something similar would be cool as the icon for your editor

I am using it as my avatar now

That same idea did enter my mind a while back when I was creating the toolbar icons for the editor.

The open/save icons I have created already have a mini 94 like cartridge showing over the folder/diskette. :)

Any chance you can attach the other actually .ico files as well. Even though they may not be used as the final application icon, I can include them in the application exe, meaning people can use the change icon button to select their preferred desktop icon.

post-4-1119365474_thumb.jpg

Alright a couple of ideas for the editor. I had a pretty busy day yesterday between work and firefighting training so this is all I came up with so far. For names EASE (did it with ease) or (eas-e as in easy) or NOSE (Nhl Old School Editor)

I liked your idea of the puck but i thought what better than the puck we've fought over for more than a decade. Watching this blocky disc fly around the screen seemed perfect. The NHL font in '94 I find is the most familiar so I went with that for the most part. I am going to try a cartdridge logo as well and mess around with a few other ideas too.

My fav is the puck in the circle. Reminds me of both the NHL Licensed Products logo and an old Hockey Night In Canada logo (old school feeling).

I would like to throw in my vote for the one that says nhl hockey editor in the lower left hand corner. I would make a slight modification and have the puck in the middle of the H be slightly smaller so it looks like the original H with the white outline of the middle part that would be the same size as if the puck wasnt there

Like this

nhlhockeyeditor.bmp

Just my 2 cents. Mack designs things I could never come up with in this lifetime. All are good ideas

nhl_hockey_editor.bmp

I like the Backcheck, that would be a cool looking editor.  That is some old shool 94.

While I do like the backcheck logo, I'm actually really liking the logo/concept of NOSE with the slogan "NHL old school editor". Would make a real nice splash screen aswell.

I did have the concern that I couldn't get an nice application icon to match, but Mack's personal fav (puck with surrounding ice blue circle) would work well as an icon, and matches NOSE splash screen in colors etc.

While I liked the concept of the genesis puck, the retro feel of the circled puck works for me aswell, so a potential bye bye to my genepuck...:P

I also like fact that is some one crashed the application, it can popup a message saying you have Broken NOSE! ummm... okay, enough of the bad humor! :)

Thanks for effort mack... will be in touch soon (as you already know).....

Thanks to Joe as well for posting your icons!

I have that kicking around somewhere but it it's not nearly as polished wboy's. It had much more limitations but was a good start. I had forgotten about it actually.

I have a couple more ideas for the logo that I will try and get up soon. You guys have given me a couple of good hints and wboy seems to like where a few of them are going.

I have a couple more ideas for the logo that I will try and get up soon. You guys have given me a couple of good hints and wboy seems to like where a few of them are going.

A few new ideas/variations on backcheck would be cool.... as a last ditch effort to see if I like it enough to change my current preference of NOSE.

I'll await your uber designs...

Alright a couple more. That's it till wboy decides. I'm off to go play some more nhl 95. Booooooooooo 95 I know I know.

I am really just trying to keep it simple and feel like these old great games.

post-4-1119981132_thumb.jpg

Alright a couple more. That's it till wboy decides. I'm off to go play some more nhl 95. Booooooooooo 95 I know I know.

I am really just trying to keep it simple and feel like these old great games.

Yeah the simple feel keeps it retro... which I like!

I'll email you soon re minor mods to my currently favorite designs. The mods should be simple, and from that, we should have our final design just about ready I think.