NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 on Dreamcast

They have a emulator out that lets you play Sega Genesis games perfectly on your Dreamcast, I know the name of the emulator but apparently it's illegal even now to mention it , go figure. Anyway, I found this emulator with 505 Genny roms on it and I'm gonna try it when it's done downloading. Apparently, you can put your own roms on this disc.

Some of you have Xbox emulators for this kind of stuff I believe, can you play say, NHL 94 online?

They have a emulator out that lets you play Sega Genesis games perfectly on your Dreamcast, I know the name of the emulator but apparently it's illegal even now to mention it , go figure.  Anyway, I found this emulator with 505 Genny roms on it and I'm gonna try it when it's done downloading.  Apparently, you can put your own roms on this disc.

Some of you have Xbox emulators for this kind of stuff I believe, can you play say,  NHL 94 online?

The emulator that you refer to is illegal as such because it was written by sega for the sega smash pack vol 1 for dreamcast. A few bright wits released it was a 100% compatible emulator that could play all dumped roms, not just the ones on the disc.

If you want to get technical, its illegal to be in possession of any dumped rom, even if you own the original cartridge... so you better delete them off your hard drive asap... and we probably should take down this site, as it possesses information that instructs you on how to edit dumped roms, which is impossible to do legally.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to get the Genny games on the DC working and the ones I tried work great, however NHL 94 doesn't play at all, of course, the one game that I wanted to work. :angry:

I have an emulator for modded PS2 called pgen I believe and plays everything great. The emulator goes on the CD with hundreds of games. Heck, I've played all our hacks on it too.

I have an emulator for modded PS2 called pgen I believe and plays everything great. The emulator goes on the CD with hundreds of games. Heck, I've played all our hacks on it too.

Isn't it a bit slow on 94..... 91 & 92 run full speed when you set the faster screen update mode... 94 though does have a lot of lag. Unless of course, the newer PS2s have a bit more processor ooomph it can leverage from? doubt it, though maybe?

Interesting thing about all Genesis emulators (including PC ones)... notice they always have problems with the NHL series rom until special fixes to the emulator's code are made.... look at all their change logs... fixed EA NHL roms etc. obviously there is something a little different about the way the NHL roms are programmed?

• 2 weeks later...

The PS2 runs at 300mhz and the new PS3 will run at 3.2GHZ so processor power wont be an issue. Hopefully I can run all emulated games on that, have all the old school games in one place.

• 1 month later...
Isn't it a bit slow on 94..... 91 & 92 run full speed when you set the faster screen update mode... 94 though does have a lot of lag.  Unless of course, the newer PS2s have a bit more processor ooomph it can leverage from?  doubt it, though maybe?

Interesting thing about all Genesis emulators (including PC ones)... notice they always have problems with the NHL series rom until special fixes to the emulator's code are made....  look at all their change logs... fixed EA NHL roms etc.  obviously there is something a little different about the way the NHL roms are programmed?

I think the frame skipping is a little conservative with PGEN. Also the pixels aren't stretched properly horizontally with PGEN in certain screens. I wish someone could make an update to PGEN to fix these problems. I'm too lazy to learn how to compile PS2 code and learning Genesis emulation :P

The best emulator ever was Genecyst, I could run NHL92 on a 486 (with sound off) :D

I think the frame skipping is a little conservative with PGEN. Also the pixels aren't stretched properly horizontally with PGEN in certain screens. I wish someone could make an update to PGEN to fix these problems. I'm too lazy to learn how to compile PS2 code and learning Genesis emulation  :P

Yes unfornately PGEN only support one of the two genesis native resolutions, 320x240, and not 256x240 which mean you have nasty horizontal border. I assume the PS2 supports 256x240? Mind you, its not the first emulator not to support such the res. The limited MAME release for PS2 also runs 256x240 res games with vertical borders. :D

I made a few small mods to Gens a while back, but I'm not knowlegded up enough (nor have the free time at the moment) to try and mod PGEN. Mind you, I only go for a fix of 91 on PGEN and it actually does a real good job of it if you set the less accurate faster screen redraw method (which I can't remember the name of atm).

Yes unfornately PGEN only support one of the two genesis native resolutions, 320x240, and not 256x240 which mean you have nasty horizontal border.  I assume the PS2 supports 256x240?  Mind you, its not the first emulator not to support such the res.  The limited MAME release for PS2 also runs 256x240 res games with vertical borders. :D

I made a few small mods to Gens a while back, but I'm not knowlegded up enough (nor have the free time at the moment) to try and mod PGEN.  Mind you,  I only go for a fix of 91 on PGEN and it actually does a real good job of it if you set the less accurate faster screen redraw method (which I can't remember the name of atm).

I'm not sure if the PS2 supports 256x240, but I do know that SNES-Station looks perfect when playing NHLPA '93 and NHL '94 (which both run at 256x224. And it also has full framerate too even though its more powerful hardware.

I'm not sure if the PS2 supports 256x240, but I do know that SNES-Station looks perfect when playing NHLPA '93 and NHL '94 (which both run at 256x224. And it also has full framerate too even though its more powerful hardware.

Actually, you're right, if SNES station can do it, so could Gens. They just haven't bothered to program it in. x240 is the actual vertical harware res, though on a tv ntsc screen (60hz), you don't see anything outside of the x224 pixels.

Actually, you're right, if SNES station can do it, so could Gens.  They just haven't bothered to program it in. x240 is the actual vertical harware res, though on a tv ntsc screen (60hz), you don't see anything outside of the x224 pixels.

Have you ever actually compiled PGEN yourself? If so maybe you could do something with the following information.

http://www.classicgaming.com/epr/genesis.htm

In the Sega Genesis Programming document ( http://www.classicgaming.com/epr/genesis/segadoc.zip ) it mentions a CELL command to change the resolution to 256*224. Basically if you were up to modifying PGEN, all you'd have to do is figure out where it handles the CELL command, and then make it change the resolution to the right one when the 256*224 command is passed, and then back to 320*224 when asked. It'd require figuring out how to change the PS2 resolution...

edit:

http://www.classicgaming.com/epr/genesis/genpFAQ.txt

this one mentions that the 0-bit on register #12 stores the resolution mode (32 Tiles per line or 40 tiles per line (320 or 256 pixels))

No I have never compiled it myself (nor am I set up with the tools to do so... never looked into it basically).

I made a post on the pgen forums along time ago to sjeep with the request for resolution switching ingame, but unfortunately that was around the time it was pretty clear he would no longer be developing it further (and he released the code shortly after). Haven't followed the scene in a long while so not sure what over offshoot development have arisen with the release of the source.