NHL'94 Forums

smozoma hack ideas / suggestions

here are some hacks i am working on figuring out...

DONE!

record number of checks per player in a game.

there is a bunch of RAM that is not used, so i should be able to pick a spot and write stuff to it. i could record how many checks each player dished out in a game, then display that stat in the Blitz league website.

DONE!

fix the assist bug where it doesn't remember the 2nd assist in a passing play goal if the scorer touches the puck twice (ie if it goes bourque, neely, oates, neely, scores -- bourque currently gets no assist). it must keep a record of who touched the puck, so i should be able to override the algorithm and make it not forget the 3rd guy.

here are some hacks i am working on figuring out...

record number of checks per player in a game.

there is a bunch of RAM that is not used, so i should be able to pick a spot and write stuff to it. i could record how many checks each player dished out in a game, then display that stat in the Blitz league website.

fix the assist bug where it doesn't remember the 2nd assist in a passing play goal if the scorer touches the puck twice (ie if it goes bourque, neely, oates, neely, scores -- bourque currently gets no assist). it must keep a record of who touched the puck, so i should be able to override the algorithm and make it not forget the 3rd guy.

That assist bug is aggravating. I would love to have that fixed, good luck.

PLUS/MINUS stats for players.

pass shots on goal counted as shots on goal.

separate button for manual goalie control - X Y Z or mode.

ability to use B button save/check with manual goalie in a game that is currently possible in shootout mode.

line changes without having to dump to puck.

continuous overtimes in regular season games or shootouts after overtime.

4 vs 4 overtimes.

PLUS/MINUS stats for players.

pass shots on goal counted as shots on goal.

separate button for manual goalie control - X Y Z or mode.

ability to use B button save/check with manual goalie in a game that is currently possible in shootout mode.

line changes without having to dump to puck.

continuous overtimes in regular season games or shootouts after overtime.

4 vs 4 overtimes.

:o

• 2 years later...

wow i should update this. lots of new hacks since i made this thread.

Next few hacks on my list are:

1. Fix the bug that causes one-timers to not count as successful passes. (no point, easy enough to just add one-timer attempts to passes-completed total)

2. Increase the likelihood of a B-check (trip) incurring a penalty, to fix the issue of small players being able to sack big players and get away with it.

3. And actually I think I can do the "line changes without having to dump to puck" hack suggested by swos.

But these could be delayed because I also want to make a 30-team SNES ROM with decompressed graphics.

adding a fourth line - I know I asked this before and you said its possible but a lot of hard work but I guess so was the 30 team SNES rom :D Would you ever have a go at this in the future?

waving off icing if a player is near - would be good but hard I guess.

Getting the goalies to stop moving when they get the puck behind the net(in 93 only)

line changes without having to dump to puck - is a great shout also.

Also will your "assist bug fix" work on SNES I thinks its only for Sega at the moment?

what's this line changes issue? you have to dump the puck? what, to get the last guy off the ice?

adding a fourth line - I know I asked this before and you said its possible but a lot of hard work but I guess so was the 30 team SNES rom :D Would you ever have a go at this in the future?

waving off icing if a player is near - would be good but hard I guess.

Getting the goalies to stop moving when they get the puck behind the net(in 93 only)

line changes without having to dump to puck - is a great shout also.

Also will your "assist bug fix" work on SNES I thinks its only for Sega at the moment?

I doubt I'll do a 4th line hack

Assist bug is Genesis only because it's a code hack and the CPUs are different.

what's this line changes issue? you have to dump the puck? what, to get the last guy off the ice?

The Genesis, for all its amazingness, unfortunately has only 3 buttons, so to change lines, you hold the A button to flip the puck down the ice and bring up the line selection dialog. Bit of a bummer having to give up puck possession every time you want to change lines.

• 6 years later...

Two questions:

1. Is Smozoma the only guy who has ever made hacks/patches?

2. Is there a definitive list of all the hacks/patches available? **

** I did a search and came up with this thread, but there are only a couple hacks here, and I know he has a lot more.

Two questions:

1. Is Smozoma the only guy who has ever made hacks/patches?

2. Is there a definitive list of all the hacks/patches available? **

** I did a search and came up with this thread, but there are only a couple hacks here, and I know he has a lot more.

wboy did the expanded ROMs, decompressed graphics... he is surely my superior in hack history

lots of early forum guys experimented with finding simple data hacks like speed boost multipliers

many people did graphics hacks (clockwise comes to mind) such as the trapezoid, stick tape, no helmets, and that legendary 6 a-side soccer ROM

clockwise requisitioned outside help for the goalie hack

slapshot67 is working on a 32-team hack

I'm sure I'm missing people and things, sorry!

I wish I had the time and motivation to do more hacks

my hacks are unique among the above in that some of mine are logic hacks (I tend to categorize hacks into graphics, data, and code/logic hacks)

Ok, thanks, Smozoma. I knew others hacked too, so I should have been more specific.

I am looking for a definitive list of "logic hacks", so I can see what logic tweaks can be added to the game, like the couple you listed n post #1.

Is there a complete list somewhere?

Ok, thanks, Smozoma. I knew others hacked too, so I should have been more specific.

I am looking for a definitive list of "logic hacks", so I can see what logic tweaks can be added to the game, like the couple you listed n post #1.

Is there a complete list somewhere?

Basically just the "THread guide" in the Gens editing section

Ok, I am interested in making a ROM that has these fixes:

From above:

1. Record number of checks per player in a game (no after whistle checks).

2. Fix the assist bug where it doesn't remember the 2nd assist in a passing play goal if the scorer touches the puck twice

3. Fix the bug that causes one-timers to not count as successful passes.

Then, from the "'Thread guide' in the Gens editing section":

4. Make the edit lines ratings match the actual on-ice ratings

In my opinion, these tweaks should be the Classic ROM. None of them affect gameplay, they all just help record stats correctly. (And #4 helps you see stats correctly.)

Does a ROM like this already exist?

Edited by aqualizard

3. Fix the bug that causes one-timers to not count as successful passes.

I don't believe this has been fixed in the game, but rather it's done on websites when the stats are aggregated to add back one-timer attempts to successful passes.

Is there a way to check do body checks affect the possible momentum we have speculated. There was a hint about the gaming having it in one of the McMikey threads, this was about when McMikey said that Plabax might have a different experience than some others. I do after whistle checks quite some, but some are very very active on that. I am curious to know would it have any effect.

Not a hack idea, but it's related close enough to the previous subject imo.

Edited by Depch

One hack I'd love to see is to Gens Netplay save.

It would be great if the number auto-incremented indefinitely or until reset. Currently the user slots are 0-9 and need to be set by the user for each game (F6 and F7).

There have been many occasions where I forgot to increment and overwrote the last save.

Edited by AtomicRaven

Since we're dreaming - how about an NHL94.com branded emulator that auto-saved games and named them by team/score/date? ..or auto-loaded box-scores right to a website?

One can dream.

hey smoz,

I think you're working specifically on the rom correct?

I found the Gens sourcecode v2.14 and though I'm not a C++ guy, I believe I've figured out where the change would be in the code for what I propose. Just need to get the right compiler.

Would folks be interested If I move forward with this?

Atomic

Go for it. I've edited gens before actually ("gens-netplaysave.exe" is my creation, I removed the block against saving during netplay), but I don't have that stuff set up on my computer anymore.

There's also gens-rerecording: https://github.com/TASVideos/gens-rerecording

I updated the compiling instructions some years ago... https://github.com/TASVideos/gens-rerecording/blob/master/Compile.txt

awesome!

Go for it. I've edited gens before actually ("gens-netplaysave.exe" is my creation, I removed the block against saving during netplay), but I don't have that stuff set up on my computer anymore.

There's also gens-rerecording: https://github.com/TASVideos/gens-rerecording

I updated the compiling instructions some years ago... https://github.com/TASVideos/gens-rerecording/blob/master/Compile.txt

So is the github build the gens-netplaysave everyone is currently using thats on the download page (http://nhl94online.com/)?

One hack I'd love to see is to Gens Netplay save.

It would be great if the number auto-incremented indefinitely or until reset. Currently the user slots are 0-9 and need to be set by the user for each game (F6 and F7).

There have been many occasions where I forgot to increment and overwrote the last save.

Yeah, the way it saves now is not optimal.

We need one button: save.

Then auto-increment as you suggest, so it would be:

nhl94-1.gs for first save

nhl94-2.gs for next, etc.

OR

have it do a time stamp with date and time, like:

nhl94-2016-10-21-211721.gs for now (Oct 21,2016 at 9h:17m:21s)

What do you think?

Edited by aqualizard

Yeah, the way it saves now is not optimal.

We need one button: save.

Then auto-increment as you suggest, so it would be:

nhl94-1.gs for first save

nhl94-2.gs for next, etc.

OR

have it do a time stamp with date and time, like:

nhl94-2016-10-21-211721.gs for now (Oct 21,2016 at 9h:17m:21s)

What do you think?

That sounds good to me. i'd go with the time stamp because the other way is actually more complicated.

I've added the datestamp to the rom save file.

I'm wondering do you guys think the seconds should be added to the filename as Aqua suggests?

If someone presses F5 multiple times during a game, it will save mutiple files as the seconds are always changing. If I do it by year-date-hour-minute, then it will only save a new one once the minute has changed.

IE with seconds

nhl94-2016-10-25_17-31-16.gs3

ROM_NAME-Year-Month-Day_Hour-Minute-Second.gs3

Without seconds

nhl94-2016-10-25_17-31.gs3

ROM_NAME-Year-Month-Day_Hour-Minute.gs3

Cool, good work.

I'd go with seconds, it's just 3 more digits. Make sure that if the number is under 10, it pads with with a 0. e.g.:

nhl94-2016-01-02_03-04-05.gs3

The reason to pad them is so they sort properly alphabetically (although maybe they do sort properly without the 0s if there are separating dashes?).

If you pad, then you can actually do away with the dashes

nhl94-20160102_030405.gs3

not that it's better with or without dashes.

Ideally, the timestamps would be an optional feature you can enable/disable with a checkbox in the menu, so you can use the original F5/F8 save/load if you still want to.

Personally I'd love the seconds too -- I've always wanted to some interesting videos based on extended replays. Having the ability to get a savestate every 10 seconds or so without having to manually rename everything would be very helpful to me. :)

Ok cool I'll leave the seconds in and ensure they sort properly with the padded '0'.

I'll likely remove the dashes - just a bit easier to read but once sorting works properly that won't really matter. If I was more adept at c++ I'd try and add the teams but the save file isn't parsed anywhere at save time.