NHL'94 Forums

NHL95 for PC Roster Update for the 2008-09 Season, Fully Completed

Triumph

Okay, it's taken a lot of insane compulsion on my part, but I think these are DONE. Every player who started the season on their team's roster is in this roster update.

Some things to note:

1. Interesting players from expansion teams and unsigned players are still in Free Agency.

2. I tried to do the lines how the NHL teams are doing them. This is obviously impossible, so if your favorite team is butchered, don't blame me. I also tried to make it so that every team started the lineup they would have started if they had no injuries (some exceptions below).

3. There's lots of players here that I've never seen play before - for the most part, I figured fringe NHL players tend to hover around attributes of 60 (with nothing above 70 to help them stand out), so I assumed these new players' average attributes to be between 60-65 (otherwise they wouldn't've beat out the other guy for the roster spot). I also think using pure attributes makes younger players better in NHL95 than it does in real life; they may have the physical skills to succeed in the NHL but not the hockey sense, toolbox, what have you. I used their statistics to date in other leagues to help me rate them. I think this is better than the NHL94 community does it, fwiw.

4. Salary cap casualties: Peter Schaefer, Kyle McLaren, Bobby Ryan, and others are still in the game, just healthy scratches. There are also players who didn't make their team who are scratches - I felt it stupid to go through and delete them, especially if I just have to re-add them.

5. Very long term injuries: Erik Johnson, Jeff Halpern, and Derian Hatcher are still in the game, but they are scratches.

6. Defensemen who are now playing forward - why the hell is Darryl Sydor playing forward? Christoph Schubert looks to be back at forward too. I left them as defensemen, since they're spare parts as forwards - Schubert is now a scratch, though.

Anyway, enjoy! These were a lot of fun to do, and even if I hadn't found this forum, I would've done them anyway, but I hope you like them, I put a lot of work into it.

If you were looking here for the updated ratings, the new thread and ratings are here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9196

Edited by Triumph

psh, he didn't help your pens last night. man did they look bad.

anyway i would've made him, but i forgot, and to make a player, you have to go into nhl95, make him there, then edit him in the editor since his 'invisible' attributes are all messed up, and then re-copy and re-zip the files, re-do the attachment... not worth it.

how about i update this every month - thoughts? Alberts just got moved, Kyle Quincey was lost to waivers, and naturally, I fixed another guy's shot hand today - I've also been tinkering with some players' attributes where I feel like I was simply unfair (Evgeni Malkin 80 speed what was I thinking?)..

i notice more than just me and threestars nabbing this so i'd be curious to hear any feedback about the ratings.

Only 7 downloads :unsure: ??? I guess people haven't found this thread. Yet. :)

At least I found some time to play a final game of the season with Red Wings. Zetterberg scored a great goal vs. St. Louis.

And I like to look at all the statistics from my season. Some thoughts: Sidney Crosby was only 4rd by points in his own team. I would like him better.

Sidney Crosby 

87 Center 

GP G A Pt PIM +/- PPG SHG Shots Pct 

Season: 84 28 51 79 102 -9 6 0 294 9.5 

Playoff: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 

Ratings: 

Shoots L Passing 100 

Speed 85 Offensive Awareness 100 

Agility 95 Defensive Awareness 75 

Weight 70 Aggressiveness 65 

Shot Power 80 Endurance 80 

Checking 60 Shoot/Pass Bias 55 

StickHandling 75 Faceoffs 70 

Accuracy 80 

Edmonton came up with a great season. And Scott Niedermayer scored 46 goals :blink: !

And finally I found it hard to see the numbers on the redwings jersey on Line Editor. I coundn't see any number at all :angry: . Some thing to cheek up...

I guess we have to wait to after christmas to see Mats Sundin and Peter Forsberg on the ice in NHL. Go and play!

Edited by Johan Emanuelsson

yeah i couldn't really see the lines for the LA kings either. That's ThreeStars' department though.

re: Crosby - if you recall, Wayne Gretzky was not that great in NHL95, and I feel like Crosby is similar. His shot power isn't tremendous - his wrist shot is, but not his slapshot. I don't feel like his top speed is that great either - he relies on tremendous hockey intelligence, awareness, and great passing ability. Also, NHL95 sims by statistics not by attributes. I think, and I could be wrong about this, that if I made a player all 40s and gave his stats 50 goals, he'd score a ton anyway in a simulation. Anyway, his attributes would have been better had he made it through the season healthy, I think.

And Scott Niedermayer scored 43 goals in one of my seasons. Dunno why that is.

Edited by Triumph

This is why I ask for comments in my thread. :)

I don't have access to my files today to edit that, so I'll look at it tomorrow. I haven't yet figured out which pixel of the jersey corresponds to the color of the numbers in the line editor, but I'll look into it.

Mario Lemieux would tend to have terrible numbers when simming with the original rosters, since he played a very injury- and fatigue-prone campaign that year. I also have a slight suspicion that the simulator doesn't like anybody with less than 84 games played, since that was the max games in 93-94. With everyone in the league 82 or less, it seems to add variation to the final numbers.

You could always extrapolate out anybody who's really wrong to 82 (or 84) games.

yeah my suspicion would be that it assumes everyone played 84 games. does anyone remember how it simmed pat lafontaine or cam neely, two plays who missed significant time in 93-94? although niedermayer didn't play many games at all last year and yet he's dominant... weird.

also i've been fixing guys shooting hands - seems i did a poor job with the first few teams i re-rated.

Lots of transactions happened in the last week - I'll wait a month and see if some of these guys get regular play, then post an update. In that update, I fix Niedermayer's stats, a few guys' shooting hands, and have tinkered with some ratings.

I wonder if the game can fit in Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, the LW just called up by New Jersey...

Edited by Triumph

I wonder if the game can fit in Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, the LW just called up by New Jersey...

Max. 15 characters in firstname and 16 characters in lastname if you are using NHLinfo.

this weekend was the first time i got to try out the new ratings with another human player. gameplay was fine, but a little slow. i played as the canes, he played as new jersey.

i am considering bumping (just about) every non-elite player's speed and agility ratings 5 points. after some research, it is clear that i have made a slower game than the original nhl95, whereas players in the nhl are even faster now than they were then. in keeping with the spirit of the game, i'm rating everyone relative to everyone else, rather than everyone relative to everyone else relative to nhl95's original ratings, but i think i was a little too careful.

the other side of the argument is two-fold: first, the NHL from around 1994 to 1997 probably saw the greatest talent influx ever as the Iron Curtain opened, and two, some of the fastest players aren't even included in the game because of expansion.

thoughts?

this weekend was the first time i got to try out the new ratings with another human player. gameplay was fine, but a little slow. i played as the canes, he played as new jersey.

i am considering bumping (just about) every non-elite player's speed and agility ratings 5 points. after some research, it is clear that i have made a slower game than the original nhl95, whereas players in the nhl are even faster now than they were then. in keeping with the spirit of the game, i'm rating everyone relative to everyone else, rather than everyone relative to everyone else relative to nhl95's original ratings, but i think i was a little too careful.

the other side of the argument is two-fold: first, the NHL from around 1994 to 1997 probably saw the greatest talent influx ever as the Iron Curtain opened, and two, some of the fastest players aren't even included in the game because of expansion.

thoughts?

Yes, perhaps the game (or the player raitings) is a little bit to slow for my personally. I like a fast and exciting game with a lot of actions, with 2 teams sharing a lot of chances to score. Not a dead second in the game :blink:

Also the endurance is important. The first and second line (where your best players are) should be able to skate the ice up and down for at least 2 min I think. Now they get tired after 1 min... :( Perheps more differance in skill (skating,endurance,passing) between 1st-2nd line and 3-4rd liners?

It should be fun to play and if the speed is to slow you get frustrated when you play a long game with 20 min periods. Higher raitings give you a more exciting gameplay in my opinion. :D But it's easy to edit it yourself if you have time, NHL-knowledge and a NHL95-editor..

Edited by Johan Emanuelsson

Yes, perhaps the game (or the player raitings) is a little bit to slow for my personally. I like a fast and exciting game with a lot of actions, with 2 teams sharing a lot of chances to score. Not a dead second in the game :)

Also the endurance is important. The first and second line (where your best players are) should be able to skate the ice up and down for at least 2 min I think. Now they get tired after 1 min... :( Perheps more differance in skill (skating,endurance,passing) between 1st-2nd line and 3-4rd liners?

It should be fun to play and if the speed is to slow you get frustrated when you play a long game with 20 min periods. Higher raitings give you a more exciting gameplay in my opinion. :P But it's easy to edit it yourself if you have time, NHL-knowledge and a NHL95-editor..

endurance - it's just not much different than the original. i have 110 guys who have an 80 or higher endurance - the original game had 139. i have 327 guys with an endurance of 70 or higher - the original had 363. that's basically one player per team who is 5 lower in endurance. and looking through the list of guys who have 80 endurance in the original, some of them are healthy scratches or 4th liners.

as for speed/agility, i've decided to bump some players by 5 in both speed and agility, some 5 in either speed or agility, and some are staying the same. i want to most accurately replicate the experience of the original nhl95, not have a bunch of guys who are insanely fast - players over 100 speed can be difficult to control on defense, and players with over 100 shot power's shots will sometimes go backwards.

i also wanted to reflect the fact that the skill gaps between the 1st and 3rd line has closed somewhat since nhl95 was first released.

part of the fun to me is having to play with those 3rd and 4th liners - the fact that nhl94 didn't have a 4th line is one of its weaknesses, even though a 4th line will rarely be used in a 10 minute period game, it's nice having them to put out there.

anyway thanks for the feedback. around game 25 i will release updates.

Edited by Triumph

• 2 weeks later...

32 downloads - and i think those ratings are clearly subpar.

things coming in the new update to be released around december 1:

faster players.

better checking. i shortchanged a lot of defensive D men with 70 checking.

better defensive awareness. likewise, i shortchanged them on defensive awareness. these defensemen are already terrible in nhl95 style games, no need to make them totally useless.

more accurate ratings for new players, and year-to-date stats on players who hadn't played in the NHL before this season, making for a better and more accurate simulation.

32 downloads - and i think those ratings are clearly subpar.

things coming in the new update to be released around december 1:

faster players.

better checking. i shortchanged a lot of defensive D men with 70 checking.

better defensive awareness. likewise, i shortchanged them on defensive awareness. these defensemen are already terrible in nhl95 style games, no need to make them totally useless.

more accurate ratings for new players, and year-to-date stats on players who hadn't played in the NHL before this season, making for a better and more accurate simulation.

I think this sounds pretty good :)

Not sure about the faster players part though. But what comes to defensemen, this is pretty much the direction to go. What I might still add to the defensemen part is that increasing their shot power (especially the goal scorer defensemen) might have a nice add to the game as well increasing a bit the chance that maybe two or three shots per season might go in from the blue line as well ;)

I haven't had a chance to try out these rosters yet, likely will happen sometime after Dec the 1st. Anyway, the most important thing is that here are people willing to create rosters and think about the attributes and how they have effect on the game. Do keep up the good work.

Edited by jaff

I think this sounds pretty good :)

Not sure about the faster players part though. But what comes to defensemen, this is pretty much the direction to go. What I might still add to the defensemen part is that increasing their shot power (especially the goal scorer defensemen) might have a nice add to the game as well increasing a bit the chance that maybe two or three shots per season might go in from the blue line as well ;)

I haven't had a chance to try out these rosters yet, likely will happen sometime after Dec the 1st. Anyway, the most important thing is that here are people willing to create rosters and think about the attributes and how they have effect on the game. Do keep up the good work.

well, that's one of those interesting questions. there's a lot of mediocre scoring defensemen in the NHL who have very high power shots - back when they used to hold team skills competitions, those guys would often win fastest shot - but can never actually get it off in a game since their release is terrible. so they actually do have a tremendous shot - the problem is that in nhl95, shot power is essentially shot release too, as the faster a player's shot power is, the less of a release he needs for it to go in.

so the question is - do i give a guy like hal gill an 80 or 80+ shot power? if i started doing that, i'd have to give them terrible accuracies too. i don't know. i think having these guys have terrible shot powers is an accurate reflection of their scoring abilities - but maybe in the nhl95 universe, that's inaccurate.

Edited by Triumph