NHL'94 Forums

Mutant League Hockey VS NHL94

kgman

I don't believe a video makes justice of Mutant Hockey League.. Though I haven't played it much, I recall it being quite fun and bet it's a lot of fun against a friend. :P If you haven't played it, try it out!

• 3 weeks later...

I loved playing Mutant League Hockey! I still have it on my Sega Genesis, as well as the rom itself for my emulator.

Other than NHLPA '93 and NHL '94, Mutant League Hockey was the other game my friends and I played the most. My favorite plays in that game were "waste the goalie" and the "exploding puck". I would always make sure to shoot it at the goaltender, thus eliminating their #1 goalie.

I would waste the goalie first, THEN do the "jail break" play to get my goalie-killer out of the penalty box. Ah, good times!

• 6 years later...

Last weekend, I just found a like new condition copy of Mutant League Hockey & a good condition Mutant League Football in my garage.

I was surprised to see there wasn't more coverage on MLH here considering it's close ties to NHL94.

Are there any big MLH fans on this site who still play this game?

..but Zombies! So hot right now.

Agreed... unfortunately, due to the rise in zombie popularity, it's causing the prices to run up on these games as well.

While it would be fun to run out to pick up a game like MLH for 10-15 bucks to play here and there, you can't even do that... this game is trending at about $100 right now. I can't think it's anything besides the current zombie rage since honestly (even though it's a fun pick up), like smoz said, the game hasn't aged tremendously well.

Prices on Gamestop "Retro Classics":

Mutant League Hockey: $59.99

Ghostbusters: $34.99

Zombies Ate My Neighbors: $29.99

Mutant League Football: $19.99

Can't find it now (sold out?) but I'm sure I saw NHL'94 for $4.99

• Haha 1

Ohhh Jer, never use Gamestop as a pricing reference... and especially don't buy retro games from them. They've been notoriously bad in this space whether it's delivery of working product or even delivering the game you ordered. Their return process on retro games I've heard is a little sketchy as well.

If MLH is priced at $60, it's a loose cart and that's still about $10 over the market price these days.

I always loved mutant league hockey it was the manual goalie control that needed revamping and maybe 1 timers ....but trying to win the cup canbe very hard cause u lose players during playoff run makes it feel like real NHL playoffs war of ....able bodies but wow wish I invested in some games back 60$

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

For some reason this was always rented out at the local Blockbuster growing up while they almost always had a copy of Mutant League Football on the shelf. I remember playing this years ago as a kid and loving it. I played it again about 10-15 years ago using an emulator and it wasn't as good as I remembered it. However I would probably still buy both cartridges today for a reasonable price.

If anyone starts a MLH league I would totally be down even though I haven't played in years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

. I remember playing this years ago as a kid and loving it. I played it again about 10-15 years ago using an emulator and it wasn't as good as I remembered it.

I had the same experience. Coming back to it, it felt really boring, and the atmosphere was odd (like the game doesn't have enough sounds, or the sounds are dull?)

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

I can't handle the frame rate in this game.

THIS is the biggest problem with the game.  Just feels like everything is out of control.

1 hour ago, kidswasted said:

If anyone starts a MLH league I would totally be down even though I haven't played in years.

I like this idea.  Despite the weird gameplay, there's nothing like an exploding puck.  I'd play too -- maybe even organize after leagues die down post-sochel.

• Like 2

I second the issue with the FPS.

Also, it feels like the sprites don't have enough animations to make the gameplay fluid, which just exacerbates how bad the framerate is even further.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/2/2015 at 11:14 AM, jer_33 said:

You get a like just for mentioning Zombies ate my neighbors. Great game.