NHL'94 Forums

noticed something bizarre about fighting

bradu

I've been doing some fairly extensive testing as I'm trying to create this 1960 rom. All of my tests are done in demo mode. I've run into frustration in the past because in demo mode, I've found that it's nearly impossible for a first period fight (10 minute periods), and if a fight DOES happen, it will be late in the period.

The other thing is that, once a fight happens, that 'timer', resets...ie, the next fight won't happen until at least 5 minutes on the game clock has passed. (might be slightly lower, but I do not recall ever seeing two fights in the same 5 minute chunk on demo mode.)

Then, by accident, I found something very bizarre...If you turn line changes OFF, these limits do NOT seem to be in effect. Well, it still takes at least 3 and a half minutes for the FIRST fight, but after that, all bets are off, fights can happen at will.

I did this test with an 'enforcer's edition' that someone here made (77?) I pitted the two fighting teams against each other, and in 10 minute periods with line changes ON, I had 5 fights in the first game. Then I tried line changes OFF, and the game had 13 fights! After more tests, I've found a second fight happen as soon as FOUR SECONDS later when line changes are off, compared to roughly 5 minutes with line changes on. Keep in mind that using these 2 teams, virtually everyone on all lines has a 100 fight rating (a few 85s).

Can anyone explain this? Do the players each have some sort of 'intensity meter' that resets every time they get to the bench? That would make sense however I have seen a fight happen in the first few seconds of a period, as long as there was not a fight towards the end of the previous period.

I'm stumped.

• 3 weeks later...

dont forget...

if you used my rom, check the crowd meter at the begining of the game

i raised it to 255, just to see if anything was different

i dont believe so, but maybe it does... doubt it, but who knows

TIMEISHERE.bin

Edited by 77

• 2 months later...

I played a 10-minute game WITH line changes and the NHL tough-guys ROM.

The game had several fights, but in the second period there were two fights within 3 seconds of each other, and in the third period there were two fights within 4 seconds of each other. This was with line changes turned on.

• 2 years later...

I've been doing some fairly extensive testing as I'm trying to create this 1960 rom. All of my tests are done in demo mode. I've run into frustration in the past because in demo mode, I've found that it's nearly impossible for a first period fight (10 minute periods), and if a fight DOES happen, it will be late in the period.

The other thing is that, once a fight happens, that 'timer', resets...ie, the next fight won't happen until at least 5 minutes on the game clock has passed. (might be slightly lower, but I do not recall ever seeing two fights in the same 5 minute chunk on demo mode.)

Then, by accident, I found something very bizarre...If you turn line changes OFF, these limits do NOT seem to be in effect. Well, it still takes at least 3 and a half minutes for the FIRST fight, but after that, all bets are off, fights can happen at will.

I did this test with an 'enforcer's edition' that someone here made (77?) I pitted the two fighting teams against each other, and in 10 minute periods with line changes ON, I had 5 fights in the first game. Then I tried line changes OFF, and the game had 13 fights! After more tests, I've found a second fight happen as soon as FOUR SECONDS later when line changes are off, compared to roughly 5 minutes with line changes on. Keep in mind that using these 2 teams, virtually everyone on all lines has a 100 fight rating (a few 85s).

Can anyone explain this? Do the players each have some sort of 'intensity meter' that resets every time they get to the bench? That would make sense however I have seen a fight happen in the first few seconds of a period, as long as there was not a fight towards the end of the previous period.

I'm stumped.

could you tell me where you found the enforcers edition rom? i would love to know.