wboy

REFERENCE: NHL94 Rink Tile Layout

12 posts in this topic

The link below includes a graphic I put together to help me easily edit/rotate the rink tiles layout for my NHL06/30 Team rom template (e.g. when modifying the crease etc) many yonders ago.

NHL94_Rink_Grid.png (right click > Save As)

MS Paint Print setup for best printing results:

Microsoft_Paint_Page_Setup.png (right click > Save As)

Shouldn't be too hard to work out for those who have dabbled in a bit of hex editing. I've emailed it to a few in the past who have asked my assistance in edit tiles layouts and I think in general it has helped and made the process less frustrating.

The rink layout is quite generic between 91 thru 94 (and possibly 95). Note though the different years will have a different tile source image to that shown here (94).

Thanks wboy ;)

I might make an updated ROM for NHLPA '93 and knowing this info is available makes it seem an easier project to do :D

Cheers,

RayGun

[PM post I am posting here as it will be usual to others]

hell yes they are reused many times over! :P

games of that era had limited graphics memory, thus a small tiles set with layout bytes optimised the recreation of the rink.

that graphic I posted helps concept wise, but unless you can apply it to 94, don't try 93 or you won't learn or know what you are really doing (you'll fail, trust me).

use my post and hack 94 first... when you got that under raps, you'll have the basics of approaching 93.. though you may have a hurdle or two.. at which come back and ask me.

the offsets in that image (for 94) refer to the tile layout bytes.... the bytes are structured as follows...

- the first digit of 4 (stored in two bytes) implies which color palette and orientation (use's GEN's debug GPU (VPU?) to see the palettes and grasp the concept better):

0 - Palette 1

1 - Palette 1 - Vertical Flip

2 - Palette 2

3 - Palette 2 - Vertical Flip

4 - Palette 3

5 - Palette 3 - Vertical Flip

6 - Palette 4

7 - Palette 4 - Vertical Flip

Somewhat irrelevant for rinks...

8 - Overlay Sprites - Palette 1

9 - Overlay Sprites - Palette 1 - Vertical Flip

A - Overlay Sprites - Palette 2

B - Overlay Sprites - Palette 2 - Vertical Flip

C - Overlay Sprites - Palette 3

D - Overlay Sprites - Palette 3 - Vertical Flip

E - Overlay Sprites - Palette 4

F - Overlay Sprites - Palette 4 - Vertical Flip

- The remaining 3 digits tell the rom which tile to use (reference the top left corner tiles).

NOTE THIS IS STILL NOT EASY!!! Have an open mind.. don't get frustrated... you'll get there... but it will take time. A lot of people give up trying this!

My spare time is extremely limited, so I'll leave you there for now!

Hi wboy :D

I am hoping you can help me..! I am trying to edit the crease in NHLPA'93 but unfortunately some of the tiles seem to used more than once and it comes out looking like this...

editedcreasefg0.th.jpg

Can you help me wboy -_-

Both links above don't work

They work for me, actually.

Not sure it's possible to send files by PM... Here they are, hosted on the actual forum.

post-253-1247666475_thumb.png

post-253-1247666496_thumb.png

(note: i had to shrink the rink grid pic -- it was too big for the forum to handle)

Not sure it's possible to send files by PM... Here they are, hosted on the actual forum.

post-253-1247666475_thumb.png

post-253-1247666496_thumb.png

(note: i had to shrink the rink grid pic -- it was too big for the forum to handle)

For the rink grid, you can upload a bigger pic on Image hosting sites like Imageshack or PicOodle

For the rink grid, you can upload a bigger pic on Image hosting sites like Imageshack or PicOodle

the shrunk one is still useful. the original was enlarged 3 times, so i made it only enlarged 2 times.

the shrunk one is still useful. the original was enlarged 3 times, so i made it only enlarged 2 times.

I actually need the original one and not the one shrinked.

if you open it in MSPaint an image editor and enlarge 150% in "nearest neighbor" mode, the tiles will be exactly the same as in the original, although the text will be a bit blurry...

(i'm at work, can't do much with these things from here)

Edited by smozoma

if you open it in MSPaint an image editor and enlarge 150% in "nearest neighbor" mode, the tiles will be exactly the same as in the original, although the text will be a bit blurry...

(i'm at work, can't do much with these things from here)

Nevermind, the links now fully work and I can get the original file