NHL'94 Forums

Number of Forwards and Defense Players

wboy

After the testing the delete player function in my upcoming editor, I noticed the game crashed when trying to edit lines within the games. "Great!" I thought, more crap for me to work out. Good news is, I found it.

In 94, the single byte before the two goalie bytes defines the amount of forwards and defense players.

Anaheim for example has Hex 97, so 9 forwards and 7 defense players.

Usual hex rules apply, A = 10, B = 11, .... F = 15.

Playing the rom, it doesn't seem to care what the defense value is. If you change LD or RD it will show all players after the last forward player. As an example, set forward to 0 and when you change a LD or RD, you see all the players on the team roster. Try change a forward position and the game will hang! A value of 1 thru F must be used for the forwards. In the example pics below, I set it to Hex 10 to show the game will see the 1 forward appropriately, but all players after 1 are shown for defense proving the 0 means jack, even though all the defaults set in the original rom do add up to the exact amount of players a team has rostered.

This is also valid for NHL95 and NHL93, but its a few bytes earlier as the 93 rom also carries team summary numbers within the team headers. See the pic for the exact location. Same rules as above apply (I assume, haven't tested).

NHL96-98 do not use the four bytes after the colors and before the two goalie bytes. They are always hex 0000 0000. The play position summary data lives after the team name/initials/rink data. The 14bytes supports 28 players, and taking a guess, 0 is for goalies, 4 for LD, 5 for RD, 3 for LW, 2 for C, 1 for RW. Editing these values has no major affect as any player can be put in any position in-game unlike NHL93, 94 & 95.

If anyone has worked out the other 3 bytes after the colors and before the goalie bytes in 93/94/95, let me know what the deal! :)

post-11-1117376024_thumb.jpg

post-11-1117376035_thumb.jpg

post-11-1117376045_thumb.jpg

post-11-1117376055_thumb.jpg

post-11-1117376069_thumb.jpg

post-11-1117376081_thumb.jpg

• Like 1