NHL'94 Forums

HOW TO: Change how long it takes to get goalie control

smozoma

Thanks to Kaneda's great notes about the goalie control button hack, I was able to figure out how to change the timer for goalie control.

When you press "B", the game starts counting down from 17 to 0. If it reaches 0, then you get goalie control.

Kaneda gives

0xFFBF06 is the P1 long press counter

0xFFBF07 is the P2 long press counter

0xFFBF08 is the P3 long press counter

0xFFBF09 is the P4 long press counter

Using the Gens Rerecording (debugger) I was able to trace the code and then find out where it loads that initial value of 17. You can change it to whatever you want to make it take more or less time to get goalie control.

Note: the values below are hex, and in hex "11" hex means 17 decimal. This example will change the time to "0C" hex (12 decimal)

Players 1 and 3:

OFFSET:  AD04
OLD VALUE:  1111
NEW VALUE:  0C0C

OFFSET:  B12F
OLD VALUE:  11
NEW VALUE:  0C

OFFSET:  B36D

OFFSET:  B3C3

Players 2 and 4:

OFFSET:  AD0A
OLD VALUE:  1111
NEW VALUE:  0C0C

OFFSET:  B139

OFFSET:  B377

OFFSET:  B39B

Hopefully I found all the necessary changes...

I didn't see where it reset the player 3 and player 4 counts, so it might not work properly in 2on2. Someone will need to try it (set the p1 and p2 counts really high, and see if p3 and p4 can still take the goalie normally or not)

what does it do if you press it less, switch players? I admit that I can't ever remember the buttons for that version. I'd try six, as the normal Genesis-imposed wait seems at least three times too long to let you do anything about any move that the goalie would have a chance to defend.

Noooooo stop messing with perfection. Its an art to be able to time when to get control of the goalie in gens!

I'll put the preseason ROM out and people can give me some feedback on the length. I'm worried about people getting goalie control by accident too often.

Is this fix any different then what Jesus put in one of his league roms? I agree, if we make a drastic change like this, it should be at least tested first and then migrated into a new league.

I'll put the preseason ROM out and people can give me some feedback on the length. I'm worried about people getting goalie control by accident too often.

;)

It's not that big of a change. Instead of taking .5 seconds to get the goalie, it takes .35 or whatever. If people don't like it, I can change it back for the season. It won't cause problems like the Y-button goalie control because it doesn't change the way the controllers are used.

;)

It's not that big of a change. Instead of taking .5 seconds to get the goalie, it takes .35 or whatever. If people don't like it, I can change it back for the season. It won't cause problems like the Y-button goalie control because it doesn't change the way the controllers are used.

sweet, ya same button quicker response time would be cool. The whole Y button wasnt a fan of.

why didn't folks like the separate button? it fixed one of the worst fails in the Genesis version! do you hate the weight-bug fix, too?!

why didn't folks like the separate button? it fixed one of the worst fails in the Genesis version! do you hate the weight-bug fix, too?!

Probably because it causes problems for some people (like me!) when playing online, the game immediately desynchs. It might have something to do with needing to set up both emulators to have the same 6-button setup, but I couldn't get it to work.

Second, it's not that bad as it is. It's kind of interesting, you have to anticipate and time things better (which is a bit of a pattern in the genesis version.. you can't stop or turn on a dime, so you need to anticipate and time things..).

really?! why not add a delay to the other buttons then? 1.4 seconds to pass, 0.8 seconds to shoot, 0.6 seconds to stand back up, 2.2 seconds to switch to each defenseman, 1.4 seconds to change to the nearest player, 0.6 seconds before the speedburst works....

insanity. you guys just can't admit the gaping flaws in the Genesis version.

I also am a fan of the normal built in delay that gens has.. it adds the element of timing that was discussed here that otherwise will go out the window

ya, cool find. potential issue Smo pointed out is getting goalie inadvertently with less of a delay. Have to play some exis and see how it plays out.

You know... after playing SNES extensively (2 teams, one in A league one in B in classic) after never playing SNES before, I've got to say the worst part about switching between Gens and SNES is the goalie control. And there's really no question SNES does it way better with the designated button. And at the risk of exposing the fact that I don't have trudatman blocked, I've gotta say.. he actually has a few decent points here :o why would you want a delay? If you want to control the goalie you should be able to control the goalie... I get it's sort of an "art" but it's only part of the game because they didn't have a better alternative. I wish we could get the designated button to work for everybody, but if we can't then I think Smoz is right on by turning down the delay because that would be the next best solution.

Also, I thought Voc posted something about needing to make sure both players have their player 1 and player 2 controls set up to 6 buttons and it works if you do that?

Oh, and before trudat can say anything I'm not saying SNES is better or worse, I'm just saying it does goalie control way better lol let's not turn this into the 7000th Gens vs SNES flame war thread.

I wish we could get the designated button to work for everybody, but if we can't then I think Smoz is right on by turning down the delay because that would be the next best solution.

Also, I thought Voc posted something about needing to make sure both players have their player 1 and player 2 controls set up to 6 buttons and it works if you do that?

It's quite strange that Smoz was not able to get the ROM to work, on the other hand, the '11 league ran successfully with something like 16 other players. And I recently played da94wookiee (bradbershad in the forums) in a few'11 exhibs, just had to make sure our controllers were both set to 6 button (even if you use 3) and it worked fine as well.

It may not be worth the hassle now, but I would welcome that Y button hack in the future. Still haven't had a chance to test the latest Blitz ROM with the reduced delay, but I'm guessing less time is better.

word. I may be just a little too committed to the bit, but I make valid points and contribute to this community far more than the entire group of "cool kids" with their fingers in their proverbial ears. I get it, the truth hurts. it's easier to ignore the truth than it is to challenge your preconceptions. I like to question my own beliefs. I like to be challenged. the ones that do not are the same ones that throw tantrums and quit league groups when they lose (or win in dissatisfying ways, as the case may be). I'm a caustic and abrasive dude, but I'm honest and insightful and open to the ideas of others. "you just hate me 'cause you ain't/ate me." the defense of the weight fail and the lack of defense/goalie control in the Genesis version draws quite a parallel with the defense of outdated religious concepts. people quite often refuse to examine their beliefs. in such cases, they are not beliefs, they are parroted doctrine.

so... at what point is the shortened delay so short that it causes frequent accidental selection of the netminder? I'd rather get him too often than two seconds after every shot/goal. that was the worst part (or one of many worst parts) of the Genesis version and I'm happy to see work being done on it. I still wish Smoz was a SNES guy, but if the Genesis version is constantly being brought closer to par, that is a very good thing.

• 3 years later...

I read in some other thread that the rom is not editable anymore in NOSE after applying Y button patch, so be careful and keep a backup of the rom you are working on when applying the patch.

wink.gif

0808/08 (or 0909/09) is ~0.25 and 0A0A/0A is ~0.30, is that right?

0808/08 (or 0909/09) is ~0.25 and 0A0A/0A is ~0.30, is that right?

The default was hex 11 (which is 17 in normal numbers) and I think was 0.5 econds, so using 08 is 8/17*0.5=0.235 seconds, so yep looks like you've got it right.