Hey you. Yeah the one who quit a few years ago and wrote off the league for a variety of reasons previously discussed and that don't really need to be re-hashed. Okay, I'll re-hash a few:
1) gens is confusing and annoying - We are all on Retroarch now. it's not perfect, but it's easier and better and we have dedicated people who can try a bunch of stuff to fix it.
2) people are tryhards/ assholes/ douchebags - okay lay off @Uncle Seth, but pretty much everyone else is nice and fun to play against. This season, we had enough players to have a C division, and next year if most stay, we'll be able to balance competition even more!
3) AOL IM sucks - LOL we use discord. I'm so glad I wasn't here in the days of AOL IM or I would have laughed this group into obscurity.
4) people don't play their games - @kingraph or @halifax can correct me, but I think we had like 95% league games and 100% playoff games played this last Classic.
5) soandso's not here anymore, so I quit - be your own man. There's lots more good people here to play with. even Halifax plays online now.
6) laaaaaaaaaaaaaaagolas - generally speaking, this keeps getting better not only because of general internet quality (like fiberoptics, and higher speeds, lower latency), but also because of chaos and other tech guys who can help with retroarch settings and computer settings to enable/disable/change things to tweak.
Need more reasons?
1) lately we stream an average of 10 hours of high quality NHL94 action per week to various twitch channels. Okay, some is high quality, some is low, and some f**king weird dude has plastic stairs, but it's great fun to hang, drink, and chat with the other viewers.
2) There's some thing in Korea called "NHL 94 Rewind". We have no idea what it is or what system it's for, but this could be optimized for internet gameplay (unlike our original version), and could make finding and playing games all over the world easier. Or it could be a massive f**king flop. But either way, come join the party!
3) Just recently, a player named @Tickenest created an online ELO based player ranking/rating type of system. Since there may not be (m)any live tourneys for NHL94 that would qualify as official events and change rankings, an online system is a good way to find out where you rank against all the other players around North America and try to climb the ladder.
4) there's more exis available than ever, at all hours of the day. "Primetime" is still 7-11EST, but we have players who post for games as late as 5am EST, and as early as 7am EST haha. And imagine if YOU and ten others come back and post when you want exis? No more waiting for games.
5) who the f**k is danTML anyway? Never heard of him - I'm just a guy who accidentally skipped over nhl94 in the franchise due to being poor as a kid. Owned 93, 95, 97, and then stuck with 97 for 22 years. I'm very saddened and embarrassed, but I've been in this community now for a while and I realize 97 is trash and I've played thousands of games of 94 since and I'm always learning and improving. I started a YouTube and Twitch channel to help spread the joy to others. I exi anyone and everyone and also help chaos with tech support.
6) I'm considering helping to fire up Plablegs old league as it seems like it was thoroughly enjoyed and missed.
The list could go on, but those are the main ones I can think of. I'm going to tag some names that I've seen around lately in tickenest's data that he's shared. Feel free to ignore, or wake up from your long retirement/hiatus/slumber, find us on discord and I'll help you get set up!
@Zalex @Freydey @Depch @NorthwayNative @Carse @Bigfoot @minpind @dangleisious @Fitzo @donnybrook @Sicarius @Buc @flasox24 @Wittgenstein @nahkahomo @eggink444 @orangeblack92 @da94wookiee @skoolyardpuck @Sebe_The_Legend @Snyder @ba55i5t @Bo Knows NHL94 @Skeletor @jackandjose @redbonzai @JackVandal @xdeathsbloodx @Pearate @Burntman @The Dopefish @kylewat @VintageKing @jbalicki10 @Samuel Quirion
There is 100% I tagged someone that I probably shouldn't have, like someone who was banned or someone who died, or whatever, but I don't care. I hope you're all okay in COVID times and you'll join us all with some NHL94 self-isolation (immolation???) To anyone else reading, feel free to tag a bug or two. To you @Brutus, how much can we as the NHL94 community pay you to spam text all those cell numbers you have in your phone and get them to come back for a tourney or some exis to see if they still got it? LOL. Thanks all.