NHL'94 Forums

Most Underrated

Ok, ok, Everyone knows to start Roenick, Mogilny, et al, but which players are the best for what they are rated. I've read a lot about Lebeau, Savard, etc. I knew Savard was awesome (always in the right place, right time), but never tried Lebeau much.

Here's my candidates:

Bob Bassen - STL

Not the best shooter, but can make some shots that nobody else does (the floater shot over goalies opposite shoulder as he skates by the crease).

Robert Kron - HFD

Just a blast to play with. Total enforcer.

Curt Giles - STL

One of the best bodycheckers in the game.

Andrei Kovalenko - QUE

Plays like he doesn't know much about the game, but can destroy anyone he hits.

Dimitri Kristich - WSH

Has everything you want from a C. Makes the shots, always around the puck.

Peter Bondra - WSH

He's like a poor-man's Mogilny.

Underrated:

Gord Murphy - plenty of things he can't do, but he can check & shoot, which for me means unassisted transition goals.

Tomas Sandstrom - best pull up slap shooter in the game

Adam Graves - consistant hat trick producer on the 2nd line

Jeff Brown - Great offensive defenseman, defense is good enough

Overrated:

Cam Neely - by far, the most overrated player. No other mid-80s player has a tougher time scoring a hat trick

Brian Leetch - All-Star or not, I can't score with him

Jaromir Jagr - Goes on insufferable scoring droughts. Lower rated Kevin Stevens scores a lot more.

Al Iafrate - Has a killer shot, but can't seem to get in position to use it

red: for overrated you forgot lemuiex oh wait why not make it the whole pittsburgh team????

as for the most underrated player... in my opinion: dominic hasek...underrated as goalie AND you can score with him

and believe it or not i have good luck with whitmore from vancouver...go figure

also: i have used lebeau a couple of times...SOOOOO underrated!!! use him and use him often!!!!!! :angry:

red: for overrated you forgot lemuiex oh wait why not make it the whole pittsburgh team????

as for the most underrated player... in my opinion: dominic hasek...underrated as goalie AND you can score with him

and believe it or not i have good luck with whitmore from vancouver...go figure

also: i have used lebeau a couple of times...SOOOOO underrated!!! use him and use him often!!!!!! :angry:

See, I'm one of the few people who likes Lemieux. I score tons of goals with him.

As far as goalies go, Sean Burke seems to do quite well, moreso when he's playing against me.

Nice avatar by the way

Most Under-rated players for me (this is the Genesis version):

01 - Tom Pederson (SJ)

02 - Ken Sutton (Buf)

03 - Wayne Presley (Buf)

04 - Kevin Todd (Edm)

05 - Robert Kron (Hfd)

06 - Luciano Borsato (Wpg)

07 - Kevin Hawgood (Phi)

08 - Marty McInnis (Isles)

09 - Marc Bureau (TB)

10 - Paul Ranheim (Cal)

Most Undderated---WOW now we are talking!!!! Alex Zhitnik try him on for size! Obviously I can't disagree with Evans' list as we play together a lot and often find these guys together...Terry Yake just look at the stats after a game and you'll see you didn't really notice him but he shows up every game Then my absolute two favorite defensemen-both on Montreal Brisebois and Daignault... if you never used them them try it. Thats all I need to say about them. They have relegated Schneider and Desjardins to the bench. I refuse to take them out! In an average game Daignault gets three pts. Let him carry the puck, he's very deceptive and can rush coast to coast and score. Brisebois is all-around steady and has a good shot on the rush. Also try this lineup on Calgary Roberts Reichel and Ranheim on RW. Ranheim is so underated that Igor Kuperman was fired for missing him.No- not really...But Ranheim is the key to that line you'll see. Go play them -Have Fun Remember that buzhockeyeldredge told you so! Haha Did i mention Robert Petrovicky-oops thats a secret-nevermind.

• 1 month later...

Andreychuk has an incredible shot. In the NHL he was just a down low grinder who scored garbage goals. But in this game he's like Phil Esposito with an Al Macinnis type cannon. slow yes, but it's impossible to knock him off the puck and he has a deadly, accurate slapshot that can score from anywhere. Countless times I've lumbered up the ice with him, step over the blue line, and unleash laser beams past bewildered goalies.

Adam Oates underrated only as a goal scorer, he was never this good in the NHL, but I've had many 4-5 goal games with him. Probably because NHL 94 came out after Oates best goal scoring season.

Kovalev, solid on the puck, great shot.

Mike Richter Whenever I play as the Rangers I start Richter, he's always been solid for me. He might allow some iffy goals early but tightens up late in the game.

Bob Errey Nice checker, forces alot of turnovers, good speed, CLUTCH goal scorer against me. I remember like 11 years ago I was playing a Rangers-Sabres series, it came down to Game 7, whenever I would take a lead Errey would tie it up. Eventually Errey scored late in the 3rd to make it 5-4, Kovalev scored on a miracle one timer to make it 5-5 with 2 seconds left, but Errey won it in OT.

Dave Manson All around solid defensman

Don Sweeney Underrated passer

Andre Lomakin pain in the ass, would be the only guy who can score for Florida.

Terry Yake surprisingly good all around player, can score goals if you give him the chance.

overrated

Brett Hull slow, good shot but never in position. Not the dominant force you'd expect him to be.

Kevin Hatcher for a guy rated in the 70's, he had absolutely no offense to his game. good positionally, bad shot, poor passer

Pierre Turgeon can skate, very agile. But a mediocre shooter and passer. Not terrible, but should be better.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel Berthaiume - Goalie, Ottawa

has stolen plenty a game for me. His greatest moment was when I beat my buddy matt (who is very experienced and good) with DETROIT. Good ol Daniel made 32 saves and only let one by him. Doug Smail is also a very underrated ottawa player, very hard to knock off the puck and a great checker.

Craig Simpson - forward, Edmonton

Amazing shot...plays well off the team's superstar, Klima. Put him at center and it's one-timer city.

Vladamir Tatarinov- defense, Quebec

Cannon shot.

Bernie Nicholls - forward, New Jersey

Impossible to knock off the puck, had some crazy games with Bernie. Usually put him at center along with Stasny and Richer on the wings.

Norm Maciver - defense, Ottawa

Best player on the senators, known for his end to end rushes finished with a backhand deke.

Evgeny Davydov- forward, Winnipeg

Really a nice shot. Finds himself in good position most of the time, and is sooo much better than Steen, the preset starter for the Jets. Selanee-Zhamnov-Davydov-Housley-Numinnen is a killer lineup!!!

Try Neil Broten on dallas the guy is simply unstoppable. Theyre arent many guys on the game that can check him, he hits any1... I like curt Giles who was mentioned earlier. Bob Bassen. Nelson Emerson. Nick Lidstrom is amazing. Those are a few non starters that come to mind for me. I will have to try robert kron. see ya - Sifty

• 1 month later...

he was already mentioned by dipchit, but i want to co-sign on terry yake. get cassels out of the starting lineup, move my boy verbeek over to centre, throw in yake at left wing and you're good to go.

yake may not blow you away at first, but his durability, consistency and wiley scoring touch are remakable. he doesn't have great range on his slap shot, but if you get in the slot, his accuracy is lights out. i've had some incredible games with him (and hartford in general) where he gets in incredible shooting zones and seemingly can't miss.

plus he is one of the players in the genesis version who is on two teams. you gotta love that!

• 6 months later...

My votes are for Yake and MacIver. I taunt my friends while trying to go end-to-end whenever MacIver gets the puck. "Heeere comes MacIver!"

i will put my favs (in no particular order):

1) LeBeau (Montreal)...he's just so good put him on LW though or else you wont get the most effective play out of him

2)Kron(Hartford)- yeah he's streaky but when he's on he's golden

3) Khmylev(Buffalo)-he's another one where the ratings are just not right! he's the best to use...if you ever wanna try something crazy do this RW-mogilny, C-Presley and LW-Khmylev you'll score non-stop unless you're having an off night

4)Davydov(WInnipeg)-put him on the wing

5)Lipuma (Tampa Bay)-He's slow but I can get him to score and once he has the puck he's hard for the other team to knock down though when he doesnt have it he goes down like a sack of potatoes

these guys are always put in when i play...no exceptions except when i play with someone else who doesnt like my stellar choices...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Great thread.

Right now these guys are my favs for most underrated.

1. Todd Elik [EDMONTON] does anyone else find Elik to be greatly underappretiated. I just move him into this spot were Corson usually is.

2. Bill Lindsay [FLORIDA] Gritty, tough and has overall skills

3. Daniel Berthiaume [OTTAWA] I was going to put Tim Cheveldae as my most underrated goalie but look at the team he's backstopping, still he's is not mentioned much around here.

4. Norm Maciver [OTTAWA] Great to hear that other have found this guy awesome.

5. Kevin Dineen [PHILADELPHIA] I swap him for Lindros. great hands.

6. Johan Garpenlov [sAN JOSE] This guy with Falloon seem to be a great force.

7. Rob DiMaio and Bob Beers [TAMPA BAY] Matter of fact the entire TAMPA BAY TEAM is underrated.

8. Sylvain Cote [WASHINGTON] Take out BIG AL and throw this guy in, works for me.

Overrated

to mention a few Shannahan, Hull, Turgeon, Vernon and Gilmour.

Overrated:

Jaromir Jagr - Goes on insufferable scoring droughts. Lower rated Kevin Stevens scores a lot more.

In my offline stats-enabled league (me and a buddy play every few days, using all the original teams), Jagr is an assist machine. He's tied with Gretzky for 2nd, with 24 assists in 23 games. Jagr has one of the best shooting percentages (41.1%), too, but doesn't take many shots.

First in assists is, somewhat surprisingly, Denis Savard (who is also perhaps the worst shooter in our league with a 14.5% shooting %)

ed olczyk was a really good announcer for the penguins....., but at least bob errey didn't sink the penguins like eddie O did last season

Olczyk is underrated, (SNES version).

Jagr always seems to sneak a goal against me, no matter what! And Lemieux is godly in the SNES version. Every breakaway I score.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on a minute. I'll give you Shanny. Slow, slug like, decent shot.

However. I have scored more goals with Brett Hull that no other player on the game can do with the same consistency. And the assigned rating of, correct me if I'm wrong, 81-79 range, is absurdly low for the caliber scorer he was at that time. I've got stats on my side pal.

Sincerely,

The guy who b***h slapped Cote in favor of Iafrate.

p.s. Gilmour is no slouch either.

Great thread.

Overrated

hat_trick.bmp

I'm surprised I haven't heard Trevor Linden mentioned yet. On NHL 94, he seems to be a very consistent player who scores and gets assists pretty much every game. Every time I play I switch him with Courtnall and he cashes in almost as much as Bure does.

The Dominator is also underrated.

Great thread btw.

Greg Smyth.

Overrated

Gilmour overrated??? 'Ole 93 is a one man wrecking machine. The guy will score a hat trick, leave every one of your players on their @ss, impregnate your mom and kick your dog in the hoohaa before you even realized the puck was dropped for the opening faceoff.

Gilmour overrated??? 'Ole 93 is a one man wrecking machine. The guy will score a hat trick, leave every one of your players on their @ss, impregnate your mom and kick your dog in the hoohaa before you even realized the puck was dropped for the opening faceoff.

Agreed. Gilmour is the poor man's Roenick, and you don't even want to know what Roenick does between when the puck is dropped and when it hits the ice

(but in case you did, he leaves your dog on his @ss, impregnates your whole team, and kicks your mom in the hooha).

The real poor man's Roenick is Brian Bradley. Very similiar player, but just slower and has less Shot Power.

I find that he's the best 3 Speed player(for those of you that know NOSE) in the game and is only rated 71 Overall.

For some reason, I've always found success with Pelle Eklund for the Flyers (Genesis). I once had this stretch of games where Lindros was on a cold streak, and for the heck of it, I substituted Eklund for him. Every single game he got a goal and an assist. Every time I'm on the PK, I get great scoring chances from him, and usually finish them. I don't know, maybe it's just me. :blink:

Then again, I can't seem to find any success when using Roenick...

For some reason, I've always found success with Pelle Eklund for the Flyers (Genesis). I once had this stretch of games where Lindros was on a cold streak, and for the heck of it, I substituted Eklund for him. Every single game he got a goal and an assist. Every time I'm on the PK, I get great scoring chances from him, and usually finish them. I don't know, maybe it's just me. :blink:

Then again, I can't seem to find any success when using Roenick...

Yeah, I just take out Lindros:

C: Recchi

RW/LW: Dineen or Eklund depending on handedness preference

Killer. I don't know what it is about these guys, but they really shift the shots-per-game balance in your favour.