NHL'94 Forums

Most Underrated

I took a look at the stats in my offline stats-tracking league and found these guys as the top non-default-starter scorers:

18: Stephane Lebeau (MTL) 22gp 31g 11a 42pts (replace Muller)

32: Denis Savard (MTL) 22gp 8g 25a 33pts (replace Bellows or Damphouse. may have actually played ~18 games)

42: Evgeni Davydov (WPG) 22gp 15g 15a 30pts (replace Steen)

46: Glenn Anderson (TOR) 22gp 15g 14a 29pts (replace Andreychuk (fatty))

49: Mark Lamb (OTW) 23gp 16g 13a 29pts (replace Kudelski)

51: Valeri Zelepukin (NJ) 22gp 14g 14a 28pts (replace .. i forget. the C)

54: Joe Mullen (PIT) 23gp 15g 13a 28pts (replace Stephens. may have actually played ~18 games)

55: Terry Yake (HFD) 22gp 17g 10a 27pts (Replace Cassels. may have actually played ~15 games)

62: Perry Berezan (SJ0 22gp 12g 13a 25pts (Replace Garpenlov. may have actually played ~18 games)

67: Kevin Dineen (PHI) 23gp 11g 13a 24pts (replace lindros or brindamour, move to wing)

72: Craig Simpson (EDM) 22gp 11g 10a 21pts (replace weight. may have actually played ~15 games. leads league with 44% shooting %)

87: Nelson Emerson (STL) 23gp 11g 7a 18pts (replace anyone)

94: Christan Ruuttu (CHI) 23gp 5g 12a 17pts (replace goulet! more like 20gp)

Yeah, I just take out Lindros:

C: Recchi

RW/LW: Dineen or Eklund depending on handedness preference

Killer. I don't know what it is about these guys, but they really shift the shots-per-game balance in your favour.

Not to mess with your winning formula here, but since Recchi is a right winger and Eklund is a center, shouldn't they switch positions? I find that Recchi's shot is more powerful and faster than Eklund, while Pelle has the footspeed and passing for a center.

Not to mess with your winning formula here, but since Recchi is a right winger and Eklund is a center, shouldn't they switch positions? I find that Recchi's shot is more powerful and faster than Eklund, while Pelle has the footspeed and passing for a center.

Eklund is a good call. He's super speedy and agile. When I play with Philly, I usually go with Recchi/Eklund/Dineen. Sometimes I'll stick with Brindamour instead of Dineen, but I like Dineen's speed, especially combined with Eklund. Lindros just sucks in nhl '94, I always sub him off. Talk about overrated players!

I use one-timers a lot, so having Recchi's strong shot at C works better for me.

Actually, I had both Recchi and Eklund in the GDL season 2. I usually played Recchi at C, but whenever I was having a tough time against an opponent, I'd put Eklund at C since he was faster and a better checker. Recchi could then be used for slapshots (especially useful against weak goalies).

Eklund is a good call. He's super speedy and agile. When I play with Philly, I usually go with Recchi/Eklund/Dineen. Sometimes I'll stick with Brindamour instead of Dineen, but I like Dineen's speed, especially combined with Eklund. Lindros just sucks in nhl '94, I always sub him off. Talk about overrated players!

Huh, I usually find that Lindros is the best finisher when it comes to one-timers for me. Weird.

smozoma, I definitely agree with using Recchi's slapshot. Many times I've actually had him cut across in between the blueline and the hashmarks on the right side, stop, then blast a rocket shot top shelf, far side. The weird thing is that sometimes the shot animation has no shot sound effect. The weirder thing is that every time there isn't a slapshot sfx, it's a goal, every, single, time.

Huh, I usually find that Lindros is the best finisher when it comes to one-timers for me. Weird.

Lindros is way too fat for me (fat = easy to check). His shot is definitely better than Recchi's, but he needs to be standing up to use it : )

smozoma, I definitely agree with using Recchi's slapshot. Many times I've actually had him cut across in between the blueline and the hashmarks on the right side, stop, then blast a rocket shot top shelf, far side. The weird thing is that sometimes the shot animation has no shot sound effect. The weirder thing is that every time there isn't a slapshot sfx, it's a goal, every, single, time.

Hm, I don't think I ever noticed that. Could just be an emulator-dependent thing..

Lindros is way too fat for me (fat = easy to check). His shot is definitely better than Recchi's, but he needs to be standing up to use it : )

Hm, I don't think I ever noticed that. Could just be an emulator-dependent thing..

Emulator-dependent when I'm using the actual Genesis console?

Yeah, it could be the emulator I'm using, never misses the sound. Who knows. However, it's way more likely that I'm just not noticing the lack of sound, or I'm too busy trash talking to hear it : P

I have a few more players who havent been noted yet.

Terry yake is the exception to my choices, look at my signature, it tells part of the story and the 140+ points he had in draft league is the other part of it.

Petr Svoboda- Good skater, powerful shot (who knows where its going though) and an incredible checker.

Roger Johansson- Not the most reliable defenseman, but he can skate a bit and is solid with the puck.

Mark Howe- Nothing too flashy, just solid defense that can pass the puck and score when given the chance.

Mike Hough- I dont know what it is about this guy, but he is lethal, really pots home the chances created by Andrei Lomakin.

Adam Burt- Another solid skater with a decent shot and checking ability, a far better choice than Eric Weinrich.

Bruce Driver- Built in the Mark Howe mold.

Derek King- A turtle in skates, but if you can get his shot off, its just as good as anyone else's save for roenick, ciccarelli,and sandstrom.

Shawn McEachern- A good skater who has some offensive skills and can withstand a couple checks, sometimes gets playing time in place of jagr or stevens.

Alexei Gusarov- A rock on the backline, checks, pokechecks, passes, shoots, some skating skills, a total package.

Steve Kasper- An incredible defensive forward with a bit of speed and a whole lot of checking, not competely unfamiliar with the idea of scoring a goal either.

Sergei Bautin- Very similar to Mark Howe and Bruce Driver, seems to be a bit more of a goal scorer though.

what team is Kasper on?

• 2 weeks later...
TREVOR LINDEN:

The guy was just breaking into the league at the time, hes got pretty good passing and a great shot.

Whenever im VAN I always sub him for courtinall

^ Exactly what I do.

Jamie 'Home Run' Baker for Ottawa.

Not really, but it's fun to play with him and call him Home Run Baker, and if anybody on that team scores for me, it's him. I know he's a starter so it doesn't count anyway, but maybe some baseball enthusiasts will at least appreciate the reference.

In all seriousness, it seems like most people have caught on to the sleepers. Yake, Savard, Burt, sometimes Ruuttu for CHI always seem to work for me. Kristich (though a starter) is one of my favorites, always kills when he's on a hot streak.

• 3 months later...

For SNES:

Trevor Linden - Solid, good speed, strong, good shot. Replace Courtnall, just like everyone else does.

Joel Otto - One of the best faceoff men.

Jimmy Carson - He's overlooked because of the great Gretzky-Luc-Sandstorm lineup. But I like Carson's shot and toughness and (don't crucify me) I bench The

Great One to put him on. People always give me heck for it when I play them with this line change.

Zhitnik - When he's hot, he's a lot better than McSorley.

John Blue - Slightly better than Moog.

Brent Sutter - I put him in over Ruutu when I need a more responsible player on the ice to protect a lead.

Craig Simpson - As others have mentioned, he replaces Weight and works really well with Klima.

Glenn Anderson - I just occasionally find Borchevsky too flakey on the ice, and Glenn "Moustache" Anderson is a lot more reliable.

For SNES:

Trevor Linden - Solid, good speed, strong, good shot. Replace Courtnall, just like everyone else does.

I must be the only one that leaves courtnall in.

Guest darthmstrbtr
Ok, ok, Everyone knows to start Roenick, Mogilny, et al, but which players are the best for what they are rated. I've read a lot about Lebeau, Savard, etc. I knew Savard was awesome (always in the right place, right time), but never tried Lebeau much.

Here's my candidates:

Bob Bassen - STL

Not the best shooter, but can make some shots that nobody else does (the floater shot over goalies opposite shoulder as he skates by the crease).

Robert Kron - HFD

Just a blast to play with. Total enforcer.

Curt Giles - STL

One of the best bodycheckers in the game.

Andrei Kovalenko - QUE

Plays like he doesn't know much about the game, but can destroy anyone he hits.

Dimitri Kristich - WSH

Has everything you want from a C. Makes the shots, always around the puck.

Peter Bondra - WSH

He's like a poor-man's Mogilny.

I think ROBYN BAWA from the Sharks is underated

he 's got good accuracy and size!

along with Calgary's SERGEI MAKAROV , he's a great center excellent passing and decent speed!

ANDREI LOMAKIN from florida is a great passer and decent shooter, he was a force for Russia back in the 87 cup finals

This game pretty much underates the Russian players, lol or at least i think so !

There's also JOHN MACLEAN from NJ who has great endurace, hard shot, and is very defensively aware

YIPPIE KI YEA MOTHERF*%&ERS lol haha get it????

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with this whole post and I think everybody here should read it all again. if you don't follow these hints, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. I also believe in the power of Darren Turcotte.

For SNES:

Joel Otto - One of the best faceoff men.

Jimmy Carson - He's overlooked because of the great Gretzky-Luc-Sandstorm lineup. But I like Carson's shot and toughness and (don't crucify me) I bench The Great One to put him on. People always give me heck for it when I play them with this line change.

Zhitnik - When he's hot, he's a lot better than McSorley.

John Blue - Slightly better than Moog.

Brent Sutter - I put him in over Ruutu when I need a more responsible player on the ice to protect a lead.

Craig Simpson - As others have mentioned, he replaces Weight and works really well with Klima.

Glenn Anderson - I just occasionally find Borchevsky too flakey on the ice, and Glenn "Moustache" Anderson is a lot more reliable.

Guest darthmstrbtr

UR DUMB U MUST NOT WIN A WHOLE LOTTA GAMES WITH THE FLYERS

ERIC LINDROS IS SICK IN NHL 94, 99 SHOT ACCURACY !!!!!!!!1

ARE U RETARDED????

Guest darthmstrbtr

UNDERATED PLAYERS IN NHL 94 DONT INCLUDE GUYS LIKE TREVOR LINDED..... DUH HE'S GOOD ALREADY ?

UNDERATED PLAYERS ARE ONES WITH A LOW OVERALL RATING BUT HIDDEN TALENTS GET IT?

HERES SOME TRULY UNDERATED PLAYERS

ROBYN BAWA- SJ SHARKS - GREAT SHOT ACCURACY AND PHYSICAL PRESENCE

ANDREI LOMAKIN - PANTHERS - GOOD RUSSIAN PLAYER, GREAT PASSING DECENT CENTER

SERGIE MAKAROV - CGY FLAMES- TYPICAL RUSSIAN CENTER

JOHN MACLEAN- NJ DEVILS - HAS A HARD SHOT, GREAT ENDURANCE & GOOD CHECKING