NHL'94 Forums

Editing Startup Banners - Best Way?

Hey, I have been working on my mod for NHL 94, and thanks to this site I've gotten around a lot of issues.

However, there are a few things I am still stuck on. I've searched the forums for the answers, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

If my question has in fact been answered, I apologize for this thread.

Anyways, my question is: What is the best way to go about editing the start up banners for each team? I know you can change the colours using a hex editor, but I'm having trouble with actually importing new team banners into the game.

In TLP, I've found the offsets for the team banners that appear when you start a playoffs for example, but I'm still hunting for the banners that show up on the first team select screen. Does anyone know the offsets for those initial banners, and if so, is there a certain approach I should take in order to import my custom banners?

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate any advice I can get.

Oh, and this is for the Genesis version of 94, if that information is helpful.

EDIT: I'm using the tutorial on the site for editing banner colours, so hopefully that gives me some answers - however I am running into problems with the shared tiles. How do you edit banners properly, without effecting the tiles that are shared between two or more teams?

Edited by tantrix

Are you using the 30-team version of the ROM, with decompressed graphics? or are you using the original nhl94.bin ROM?

Hey, I have been working on my mod for NHL 94, and thanks to this site I've gotten around a lot of issues.

However, there are a few things I am still stuck on. I've searched the forums for the answers, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

If my question has in fact been answered, I apologize for this thread.

Anyways, my question is: What is the best way to go about editing the start up banners for each team? I know you can change the colours using a hex editor, but I'm having trouble with actually importing new team banners into the game.

In TLP, I've found the offsets for the team banners that appear when you start a playoffs for example, but I'm still hunting for the banners that show up on the first team select screen. Does anyone know the offsets for those initial banners, and if so, is there a certain approach I should take in order to import my custom banners?

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate any advice I can get.

Oh, and this is for the Genesis version of 94, if that information is helpful.

EDIT: I'm using the tutorial on the site for editing banner colours, so hopefully that gives me some answers - however I am running into problems with the shared tiles. How do you edit banners properly, without effecting the tiles that are shared between two or more teams?

Yep, I am, which has helped me a lot. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best font to use on the banners. The NHL 94 banner font is pretty tough to come by! :)

Are you using the 30-team version of the ROM, with decompressed graphics? or are you using the original nhl94.bin ROM?

Yep, I am, which has helped me a lot. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best font to use on the banners. The NHL 94 banner font is pretty tough to come by! :)

best way to do it, draw out a banner template in paint with the exact amount of pixels as your canvas, then chart out the banner. Leave a 2 Pixel border around a box for your text, then split that box into equal squares, each with a one pixel gap in-between. Then simply draw out the letters within the confines of each box. Better yet, copy and paste each letter from the original TM graphics, and create an alphabet you can copy and paste into each banner as needed. It's a long job, but it will certainly look smart.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the heads up on that process!

I've been working on them today, and I think I've got them under control. I got the NHL 94 fonts out of wboy's great tutorial package, and from there I was able to re-create banners almost identical to the original game.

Now I'm just working on the main menu banners and logos, thanks to you guys.

I appreciate all the support, you guys have been a great help so far :)

best way to do it, draw out a banner template in paint with the exact amount of pixels as your canvas, then chart out the banner. Leave a 2 Pixel border around a box for your text, then split that box into equal squares, each with a one pixel gap in-between. Then simply draw out the letters within the confines of each box. Better yet, copy and paste each letter from the original TM graphics, and create an alphabet you can copy and paste into each banner as needed. It's a long job, but it will certainly look smart.

Have fun!