• Detroit
    • Dallas
    • Vancouver
    • Los Angeles
    • Buffalo
    • Montreal
    • Calgary
    • Quebec

OK so I got to thinking, which team is the best in NHL94. I initially thought it was a choice between Chicago and Detroit, but then I thought about 4 other powerhouses that should be included in the discussion: Dallas, Vancouver, Los Angeles and Buffalo.

Buffalo:

Pro's: Mogilny: a speedy sharpshooter, arguably top 3 F in game. Lafontaine: Deft passer, light weight and very agile and decent speed. Hawerchuck: underrated set up man, with top shelf agility and pasing skills. Shot accuracy very poor. Top 5 dman in Petr Svoboda who's very light and agile. Top 3 goalie in Grant Fuhr, shade below Belfour and Roy.

Cons: 2nd dman a question mark. Bodger/Smehlik/Ledyard all fat slow dmen with little redeeming qualities

Dallas:

Pro's: Two top 20 F's in Mike Modano and Russ Courtnall. Modano posseses the speed and agility everyone desires. Fantasic shot power with little accuracy. Courtnall is a blur, sometimes runs around with his head cut off but when he's on, he's a force. Neal Broten solid light 3rd F. Willing to do the dirty work the pretty boys shy away from. Can backcheck with the best of them, and dish in a few timely goals when needed.

Cons: Average goaltending in Jon Casey. Dmen Sjodin and Johnson anchor a very average blueline. Johnson provides a steadying influence on the blueline. A real gem usually left on he bench come opening faceoff. Sjodin is light and very agile but tends to get out of position occasionally and is penalty prone. Fat Boy Tinordi offers some decent shot power and accuracy for a dman, but little else.

Vanvouver:

Pro's: Quickest team up front in the game. Bure is a beast, arguably the top F in the game. Ronning provides blurring speed and agility. In the right hands he can be dominating. Geoff Courtnall is a poor mans Mike Modano/Petr Klima sans the shot. McLean provides above average goaltending.

Con's: Similar to Dallas this team is very weak on the blueline. After an average Jyrkki Lumme there's nothing else. Just barely serviceable overweight dmen. Doug Lidster got the shaft in this game. He was much better in real life then the programmers gave him credit for.

Los Angeles:

Pro's: This team is 6 F's deep. Top 3: Gretzky,Sandstrom, Robitaille provide a rare blend of offensive genius along with uncanny shot accuracy and power. While on the heavy side Sandstrom is just money from anywhere on the ice. Robitaille posses 4/6 shot and accuracy that makes him a superb compliment. And Gretz, well he is the best set up guy in the game. His amazing agility and lightness make him unhittable. Alexi Zhitnik provides an agile tank on the blueline that everyone covets come draft time. He does take boneheaded pims form time to time but overall it's tolerable.

Cons: Similar to Buffalo, LA lacks a solid 2nd dman. Blake is a fathead who obviously was short changed during development. Well, Hrudey despite my love affair with the little guy, he is considered by many to be one of the weakest goalies in the game. Men have drafted the likes of Ken Wregget and Stephane Fiset before Kelly.

Detroit:

Pro's: 2 top 10 F's in Yzerman and Ciccarelli. Both players have amazing agility and scoring prowess. Having both of them on a frontline is mandatory suicide for their opponents. As if those 2 were not enough, Sergei Fedorov rounds out the trio with his fine agility and passing. Defense is as talented and deep as they come. Starters Lidstrom and Coffey are enough to give anyone fits, both from a defensive standpoint as well as offensive. They clear the zone as well as anyone. And Lids provides the defensive security that coffey relies on after his up ice gallops. Chevy is as solid as they come in the 2nd tier goalie platform. (Habs please do not argue this point :P Depth is unbelievable up front and on the blueline. One could field 2 separate starting top 5's and both be very good. Other decent F's include Ysebaert, Drake and Kozlov.

Con's: None. Well is I had to make one up, it's having to decide whether to remove Coffey for Racine/Howe/Konstantinov or even the underrated Chiasson

Chicago:

Pro's: The best F in the game. JR is truly a game changer and dominator. Exceptional blend of lightness, speed and agility combined with uncanny ability to score from anywhere and at any time. No one in the game can challenge him mono et mono at both ends of the ice. Has made mortals immortal. Steve Larmer is a solid winger with an above average shot and accuracy and tends to his defensive responsibilities as well as anyone. The 3rd F Joe Murphy is a poor mans version of Larmer. A little redundant with Larmer aboard. Chelios and Russell provide a top two pairing rivaled by few in the league. Chelios provides an aggressive mean streak on the blueline while Russell provides the stay at home toughness needed to defend. Ed Belfour IS the top Goalie in the game. When the rare opportunity arises for the oppsing teams offense, the Eagle shuts them down.

Con's If any, little depth up front and on the blueline beyond the starters. But how often do you need them with the best F and G in the game.

Calgary

Pro's: Offense galore. It all starts with the little ball of anger in Theo Fleury. Theo is the lightest player in the game and posesses lightning like speed. One of his underrated attributes is his above average shot. If you need to backcheck Theo is as good as it gets. Wrecking anyone and everyone with a simple click of the C button. After Theo, there's a glut of talent up front to choose from. Sergei Makarov is a skilled, agile and creative playmaker that can squeeze passes thru a pin hole. Joe Nieuwendyk provides the cannon up front. A little heavy in the classic rom prevents Joe from being a top 30 F in the game. Gary Roberts is anotehr sniper that can be used up front. A better option at times over Joe due to his weight. Robert Reichel is the 5th of this very talented group of Forwards. At 188lbs and 4/4/4/4 speed/agility/shot/accuracy he is arguably the most balanced of this quintet. On the blueline, MacInnis and Suter team up to make the top 5 defensive tandems in the game today (or 15 years ago). Both have exceptional shots yet wildly inaccurate that leave goalies, dmen and even fans in the front 30 rows ducking for cover when they wind up. In nets Mike Vernon provides a steadying influence with the ability to flash the leather at any required time.

Con's: Like many teams the lack of a quality 3rd dman is a 'weakness' on this team. If I had to dig even deeper, maybe the lack of a top 10 Forward is another weakness.

My choice: Detroit. The team is just far too talented from top to bottom. You never worry about an injury or multiple pims. This team comes in waves and has a very competent backstop when the call of duty arises. Chicago is 2nd by a hair.

being 15-7 in my classic season with detroit thus far means that the wings are the best team of nhl 94 :P

I voted detroit but feel that Boston and pittsburgh should be in the discussion as well.. and one of my personal faves, calgary.

Yeah in snes boston and pits are up there, but in gens because of the weight bug they arent so hot

Since I played mostly no line changes, I'd go with vancouver for SNES....SNES is a game for speedy players and van has the fastest line(bure, ronning, courtnall) in the game.

This is a solid list, but i think its missing a few teams...

Montreal:

Pros: The 2nd best rated goalie and arguably the best goalie due to his perfect glove side ratings. The defense runs 3-4 deep with Brisebois and Daigneault being lightweights with various offensive skills. Schneider provides all around ability while still being defensively competent. The forwards run 6 deep, any combination of Bellows, Muller, Damphousse, Lebeau, Leeman, and Savard will give a diversified line with strengths all along the board.

Cons: No gamebreaker to speak of aside from Roy, more team concept as opposed to one man army.

Calgary

Pros: Have a top tier sniper in Roberts, solid passers in Reichel and Makarov, and Fleury rounds out the line with his speed and dominant checking ability. Macinnis owns a booming shot and Suter is a solid option on the back line who can distribute the puck with the best of them. A total powerhouse of an offensive machine.

Cons: Team Defensive awareness always seems to be an issue which leaves a lot of odd man chances for Vernon to face, and hes not good enough to sustain many of them and keep a team in the game for long. Also lack a bone crushing d-man.

Quebec

Pros: Blessed with immense offensive talent, Sakics all around excellence, Sundings sniping, Kamenskys booming shot, Kovalenko is a beast, Nolan is as steady as they come, Ricci can snipe almost as well as Sundin and theres even more options after that still. Duchesne can help kick start the offense, Gusarov is a steady calming presence and Leschyshyn can provide solid blue line skating.

Cons: A lack of team speed, average goaltending, and the lack of a true shutdown defender just barely keep the Nords out of the top tier, because after all, you can only ice 3 of those amazing forwards at once.

My vote goes to Detroit, but give me Quebec, Montreal, and Calgary any day over Chicago, Dallas, Buffalo, Vancouver and LA.

Hey i voted Chicago cause well they have been the team i played as since i was 4 and i just always loved JR...although Detroit its pretty nasty..I think having JR up front Chelios on D and Eddie Eagle in between the pipes is enough to make them the best.

Idk, Detroit<s overall agility to constantly keep the puck is just uncanny. But yeah Chicago isn't bad too, wouldn't really consider Vancouver, got them and man that club got no hands (outside of bure). Anyway don't forget Jim Jonhson as a good backup on Dallas' D.

Best team hands down for me is CHI. Roenick and eddie are way too much to deal with. After that I'd go with DET then Buffalo. DET has the best offense in the game, and they always drive me crazy. Buffalo is solid as well great goaltending and solid offense. Honourable mention to MTL, with crazy depth and patty between the pipes.

1. CHI

2. DET

3. BUF

4. MTL

Thats my order.

• 4 weeks later...
This is a solid list, but i think its missing a few teams...

Montreal:

Pros: The 2nd best rated goalie and arguably the best goalie due to his perfect glove side ratings. The defense runs 3-4 deep with Brisebois and Daigneault being lightweights with various offensive skills. Schneider provides all around ability while still being defensively competent. The forwards run 6 deep, any combination of Bellows, Muller, Damphousse, Lebeau, Leeman, and Savard will give a diversified line with strengths all along the board.

Cons: No gamebreaker to speak of aside from Roy, more team concept as opposed to one man army.

Calgary

Pros: Have a top tier sniper in Roberts, solid passers in Reichel and Makarov, and Fleury rounds out the line with his speed and dominant checking ability. Macinnis owns a booming shot and Suter is a solid option on the back line who can distribute the puck with the best of them. A total powerhouse of an offensive machine.

Cons: Team Defensive awareness always seems to be an issue which leaves a lot of odd man chances for Vernon to face, and hes not good enough to sustain many of them and keep a team in the game for long. Also lack a bone crushing d-man.

Quebec

Pros: Blessed with immense offensive talent, Sakics all around excellence, Sundings sniping, Kamenskys booming shot, Kovalenko is a beast, Nolan is as steady as they come, Ricci can snipe almost as well as Sundin and theres even more options after that still. Duchesne can help kick start the offense, Gusarov is a steady calming presence and Leschyshyn can provide solid blue line skating.

Cons: A lack of team speed, average goaltending, and the lack of a true shutdown defender just barely keep the Nords out of the top tier, because after all, you can only ice 3 of those amazing forwards at once.

My vote goes to Detroit, but give me Quebec, Montreal, and Calgary any day over Chicago, Dallas, Buffalo, Vancouver and LA.

I could probably do a new poll that includes your team, Jay. In fact, I'm thinking of doing it right now. :D

And another thing: No love for the Rangers?

Edited by RedWingDevil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My top 5:

1. detroit

2. chicago

3. winnipeg

4. buffalo

5. vancouver

Surprised to see no love for Winnipeg! Buffalo and Winnipeg are almost interchangeable for me in the 3 spot. Mogilny is one of the best players in this game, but the majority of the scoring has to come from him it seems for Buffalo to be successful. Lafontaine and Hawerchuck are weak shooters with great skating and elite passing--they do more dancing than scoring it seems--they should audition for Dancing with the stars. Plus who does Buf have on D outside of Svoboda?

Winnipeg seems to have the complete team. A top 5 forward, a top 5 goalie, and a top 5 defenseman(or top 10). Excellent shooters in Selanne and Davydov. Bautin and Numminen are solid defenders I think. Davdydov is a tough cover off the left wing for any defense. Zhamnov is a great passer and has good stick handling

Montreal=Toronto on steroids!

lol at Los Angeles

I voted for Los Angeles. The Kings need some love and they can be a tough team when used nicely.

gotta go with detroit. the offensive power makes them unstoppable in the hands of a competent player. chicago's offense can be shut down (they don't have great chemistry), and belfour can only do so much.

Edited by smozoma

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it's gonna probably be

mtl vs van in gens A finals

and buf vs det in gens b finals

Based on results, these are the best teams in the gm!

or just best coaches maybe?

Looks like it's gonna probably be

mtl vs van in gens A finals

and buf vs det in gens b finals

Based on results, these are the best teams in the gm!

Historically, I think Chicago has been in just about every "A" league final... until me!