NHL'94 Forums

Differences between Snes and Genesis versions?

Just wondering what the main differences are? I've viewed some videos on YouTube and I think I may prefer the way the Genesis version looks. I love the Snes controller though, so I'd rather have that over slightly improved graphics. Do the games pretty much play identically?

You'd be amazed at the gameplay differences that exist between them. Shaftman, houlanov and Prodigyof94 could tell you all about them.

You'd be amazed at the gameplay differences that exist between them. Shaftman, houlanov and Prodigyof94 could tell you all about them.

Cool, I hope they chime in here with their opinions. Which game is widely viewed as the superior version?

Sorry. But jesus's experiment is 75% biased, and has some 100% false information on the snes version.

Yeah i think SNES is better, and not because i grew up on it.

Ive given gens a chance. I've played it for many many months now, and compete in a couple of leagues. and sure its fun, but the game play does not compare to the snes version.

I don't want to go off on a uber rant here (im saving it for when i snap one day)

But a couple of main things off the top of my head are:

1. Defense control

2. Goalie controls

SNES has 100% superiority in these fields. why?

1. Gens has NO defence control option. LAME!

2. Gens, you have to hold a button and wait 2 seconds before selecting the goalie...

I dont want to hear any of the "its better to wait 2 seconds because you need to have good anticipation"

Last i checked goalies don't wait before they make the save, they have split second reactions. Which can make or break a game (in both video games and real life!)

so, yeah. having a button to press which selects the goalie instantly is 10000x better then waiting any amount of time.

So...yeah..thats my mini rant.

Sorry. But jesus's experiment is 75% biased, and has some 100% false information on the snes version.

Yeah i think SNES is better, and not because i grew up on it.

Ive given gens a chance. I've played it for many many months now, and compete in a couple of leagues. and sure its fun, but the game play does not compare to the snes version.

I don't want to go off on a uber rant here (im saving it for when i snap one day)

But a couple of main things off the top of my head are:

1. Defense control

2. Goalie controls

SNES has 100% superiority in these fields. why?

1. Gens has NO defence control option. LAME!

2. Gens, you have to hold a button and wait 2 seconds before selecting the goalie...

I dont want to hear any of the "its better to wait 2 seconds because you need to have good anticipation"

Last i checked goalies don't wait before they make the save, they have split second reactions. Which can make or break a game (in both video games and real life!)

so, yeah. having a button to press which selects the goalie instantly is 10000x better then waiting any amount of time.

So...yeah..thats my mini rant.

Epic

After going back and reading clocks mind fart of an experiment, i find myself rather angry.

Clockwise, i respect you for many many things. To sum you up in one word: Genius.

However.

That "Experiment" is so diluted with bullshit, your credibility is greatly compromised.

Seriously, did you take any time whatsoever in doing any research into both games before writing that up?

..or just drugged up and bored?

I realize this is a polarizing issue and divisive for some members that covet their version. It's crystallized by how ardently you, Jeff, Case and other members defend their game. The fact that it's somewhat of a hornets nest is why the thread has been dormant for so long. So don't expect me to dig in my heels and launch into a rhapsody about why my version is holier than thou.

It was written extemporaneously with levity and wasn't intended to rub anyone raw. And it wasn't demagoguery intended to defile your game and discredit anyone who plays it.

There was no double blind trial, or brass band, petri dishes, centrifuges, monocles, and I didn't lift a lab coat from my pharmacy. I was being facetious.

I see how segathon (keeper of the NHL'95 flame) could also get upset by the NHL'94 wars gif I made where Ron Barr blows up the NHL'95 Death Star - but I don't think people that enjoy NHL'95 should be blown up.

There's no reason to get angry about a topic that's over three years old, and as I said to Jeff: "It was meant to be in good fun man, don't get all mad"

It's unfortunate that my credibility is greatly compromised, as if the talisman has been snatched from my neck and I'm defrocked - considering the scores of people I've helped learn how to edit the game, or all the free time I spend working on projects trying to make this place better for those who love the game as much as I do.

And the notion that I was somehow drugged up when I wrote it, well, that's just not fair to drug users.

First, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest people know the source providing the information before they assume the tone and meaning behind the message.

Secondly, people please try to understand that no matter which system you prefer, at the end of the day, coming up with reasons why one system is better than the other is an argument you will not win. There isn't some hockey video game checklist you can compare the systems to, that would leave everyone nodding their heead in agreement at the outcome. It's all opinion, which we're all blessed to have a forum that allows us to express it. The minute people get 'offended' and 'angry' at someones tongue in cheek comparison of two systems, is a moment that suggests you check yourself and realize what you're getting angry at.

I think one can be completely objective in saying that the SNES version attracts a more ragey type of gamer...

With a tongue in cheek, Jesus wrote a clever posting on his perception of the two games' differences. I think it says something about the person who needs to reply with insults because they cannot tolerate others opinions.

Guest Wags13
After going back and reading clocks mind fart of an experiment, i find myself rather angry.

Clockwise, i respect you for many many things. To sum you up in one word: Genius.

However.

That "Experiment" is so diluted with bullshit, your credibility is greatly compromised.

Seriously, did you take any time whatsoever in doing any research into both games before writing that up?

..or just drugged up and bored?

Shaft I suppose you'd find nothing wrong with his experiment if you're crappy SNES version came out on top.. admit it: in regular player interest, in league interest, in gameplay, and in features... SNES is the inferior product.

Back to the OP: the clear favorite is GENS, for it's flow of play and general mechanics. However, SNES has a few things going for it (shaft explained them above).

If GENS had a goalie button and defensive control (in short, used the six-button pad or SNES pad), this would be no contest, hands-down Genesis, we wouldn't even be talking about the SNES version. SNES doesn't have the flow or the graphical fluidity of the GENS version, and "the move" works at a higher rate than in the GENS version.

They ARE different games though - you just need to try them both out to see which one you prefer.

One of the major things Snes procure is, no stupid f**k ref of my ass. They call very less penalties, and unlike the genesis it's not from a random reason far far away from the puck

lol. gens penalties. 2 minutes for "injuring".

Great penalty

One of the major things Snes procure is, no stupid f**k ref of my ass. They call very less penalties, and unlike the genesis it's not from a random reason far far away from the puck

I dunno, dude. They do call a lot of penalty shots when you smash someone on a breakaway.

Lol, 2 minutes for injuring? What did you expect, a 2009 edition ROM? (Speaking of that, no one ever done one for the SNES?)

While both versions have their own charm, the adjustment from one to the other is pretty hard. You'd have to work out the kinks if you want to be successful on both versions.

Well i was just laughing at the fact they call it "injuring" sinceno penalty exists in the nhl. In snes you injure a guy you get a roughing penalty

in gens to, the inuring penalties comes from the edited 94 versions

Funny you've said that. They give you a High Sticking penalty whenever you injure someone with the NHL 2009 mod ROM.

Don't let people tell you that the genesis version is better in certain aspects, as if it were a known fact. In my opinion, the gameplay, look and feel of the SNES version are far superior to the Genesis version. Framerate don't mean s**t.

So basically...what your saying...is..ive yet to play the original classic gens rom?

and secondly...why would people edit that

It's been changed to "injuring" because there is a normal Roughing penalty, and also a Roughing penalty when you injure a guy. So it was changed to differentiate between the two. At one point it was called Boarding, but since it rarely happens by the boards (and boarding is a 5-minute penalty anyway), it was changed to Injuring.

There was a vote for GDL 3, I think. Injuring won. (Actually, "pwning" won, but it was silly... so 2nd place won).

Don't let people tell you that the genesis version is better in certain aspects, as if it were a known fact. In my opinion, the gameplay, look and feel of the SNES version are far superior to the Genesis version. Framerate don't mean s**t.

Agreed, except I prefer the Genesis version in most respects :)

I think it's more a mindset thing. The Sega version is slower and more unpredictable (most people average about 50% on their passing).