Worst NHL 94 Team  

55 members have voted

1. 1. The Worst team

• Anaheim Ducks
    • Florida Panthers
    • Ottawa Senators
    • San Jose Sharks
    • Tampa Bay Lightning

Much like Ice's poll for the best team, but instead, who do you think the worst team is? It essentially bogs down to the 5 expansion franchises...

Anaheim:

What makes them the worst: Shoddy goaltending, Hebert and Tugnutt are slow goalies who can't dish the puck effectively, also Tugnutts slight weight makes him ripe for crash the crease goals. Also, the defense is slow and heavy, Kasatonov, the only decent d-man is bogged down by his massive 11 weight making him a massive liability with the puck. The team possess no speed up front as well, and no player has a shot power or passing rating above a 3.

Saving Grace: Terry Yake and Anatoli Semenov provide some sort of 1-2 punch, as meager as it is with yakes 3/4 shot and semenov's average 3 ability all across the board. Loach is servicable as the 3rd F, and Tim Sweeney gives weight bug options at the cost of any sembelance of skill.

Florida:

What makes them the worst: The worst skating forwards in the game, Andrei Lomakin with his 3 speed is the fastest skater up front with all the others being rated a 2, while Mellanby checks in at 1. Lack of shot accuracy and power (Mellanby and Lomakin only players with a 3 rating), little playmaking, and a big questionmark for the 2nd defenseman, do you take Hynes, a bugger with none skill, or Richer, a fatty with bare minimum skills.

Saving Grace: Beezer is a legit goalie, especially on this expansion squad. Gord Murphy provides a 4/1 shot from the back with some much needed 5/4 skating to push the attack. Lomakin's 4 passing and 3/3 shot make him atleast respectable.

Ottawa Senators

What makes them the worst: The wrost goaltending duo in the game, Berthiaume and Sidorkwicz make the Anaheim duo look like all-league studs. Zero depth on defense means are always stuck with a subpar 3/2 skater on the blueline. The two most skilled players (Turgeon and Kudelski) are fatties, making it nearly impossible to put both on the ice together without being a huge liability. All forward subs having glaring and painful weaknesses.

Saving Grace: Norm Maciver is a godsend on the blueline, his 3/3 skating, 4/4 awareness, and bare minimum puck skills give the Sens a true blueline option. Baker is as versatile as they come being able to skate on the wing or in center effectively. Lazaro, Lamb, Smail, and Boschman give the user 7 players to chose from every game to set up a line depending on the opponent...but like i said, all the subs have major weaknesses somewhere.

San Jose:

What makes them the worst: No legit threat on the forward lines, Falloon and Berezan provide solid 4/4 skating, but are absolutely woeful shooters, nor are they exactly lightweights with a 7 rating. Kisio, the lone supremely skilled player, is bogged down by pitiful 2/2 skating, Garpenlov's uninspiring shot 2/3 and 2 passing make him a liability offensively on the wing and in center. No lightweight d, All 7 and up unless you go to Pedersen and his 1/2 skating.

Saving Grace: Wilson can bomb shots all day from the point with the 6/1 shot. Wilkinson and Ozolinsh are decent number 2 options as both are decent weight at 7 and have some puck skills. Arturs Irbe is the 2nd best goalie among these teams. And Rob Gaudreau is the sole forward with no glaring weakness, but provides no spectacular skills (3's accross the board aside from a 2 stick handle).

Tampa Bay

What makes them the worst: Slow, plodding defenseman, there are no options on this blueline, Beers has 3/3 skating, but his 9 weight slows him down and his passing is suspect. All other defenders (Hamrlik, Chambers, Bergevin, Reekie) are slow, ineffective puck movers and dumb. Wendell Young, although the 3rd best goalie, is behind the worst defense corps in the league, making his weaknesses that much more glaring.

Saving Grace: Bradley is a gamebreaker, despite his 4/3 skating, Kontos is antoher solid option with his 3/5 shot, but matchups can be had with this deep forward group. Dimaio, Kasper, and Andersson provide big checking with their 6 and under weight, Andersson provides speed, Kasper can move the puck around a bit and play solid d, and Dimaio is just a natural killer on defense.

So whos your vote go to? Mine goes to Anaheim, the lack of skating, porous defense and beyond suspect goaltending make it nearly impossible to matchup with the strengths of other teams.

Floride would win hands down if not of Beezer, but i will go with Ottawa

Agreed. Mellanby has to be the shittiest starter in the game. Worst part about him is that he's on two teams. What a duster.

Anyway, before I joined this place the only way I could entertain myself playing '94 was picking random teams and seeing how high I could run up the score without using dekes (and a punch of other stupid restrictions I won't go into.) Seeing as Anaheim holds the dishonour of having surrendered the most goals in a game (thanks player cards!), they have to be the saddest group of plugs in the game.

Although the lifetime achievement award for suckage goes to the Senators, who are brutal in all the classic games...and because they are the Senators.

Funny how things change in time.

The Sharks have gotten very competitive, Florida played their hearts out but missed the playoffs. And the Ducks and the Lightning each won a Stanley Cup! The Senators were consistent in the 2000's, but missed the playoffs. Am I the only guy who's seeing a patern here? The time will come when the Senators will say enough is enough and just plain outplay everybody.

For the classic games, the Sens get my vote. The Ducks were terrible, but at least they had the excuse of being an expansion team.

Most will think I'm nuts for saying this, but Pittsburgh is my pick for worst team to play with (Genesis version). Not sure why this team is rated so high. I'd pick any of the low teams before them.

-Evan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually okay with Ottawa, so I won't say them. In fact, I would have to say Los Angeles...just pound Hrudey with shots. Same with the Islanders, except that the Islanders don't have Gretzky or Rob Blake.

Most will think I'm nuts for saying this, but Pittsburgh is my pick for worst team to play with (Genesis version). Not sure why this team is rated so high. I'd pick any of the low teams before them.

-Evan

Things sure change with with the weight bug fix :D They become unstoppable!

I gotta go wioth Anaheim too. They don't have one marginal starter at any position. Yake is as good as it gets and that's not saying much (sorry AJ).

Florida has a decent puck moving Dman with wheels in Murphy and Beezer is an average goalie.

Ottawa has Maciver who's light and very serviciable on the blueline. Some mobility up front and a decent shooter in Jamie Baker.

SJ has a solid Blueline tandom in Wilson and Wilkinson/Ozolinsch, and Falloon has some decent wheels and isn't a heavy lunch.

TB is probably the best of the bunch with a bonafide scorer up front in Bradley, and as light as they come too. Young is serviceable in nets. But beyond those two, it's pretty thin.

After playing a season with Pitt, I'd like to also throw them into this discussion as an honorable. If you're not a one timing stud, and a passing machine, they're pretty pathetic.

For me, the Isles are so bad it's pathetic. There's something so shitty about them they are virtually unplayable. I'd take OTT,ANH, or FLA over them anyday

Thats just the Devil fan sneaking out there rodder :D

• 2 months later...

Snes: Anaheim.. I recall Ottawa not being that bad. I can for some reason really like Florida, other than being INCREDIBLY SLOW they get some awesome setups going (for one-timers generally). Nothing wrong with Sharks, and I think Lightning is pretty decent as well. But Anaheim is just plain poor n boring.

• 3 months later...

Worst team in the league is easily Philadelphia. They are just useless. Can't get two passes to their own players. Someone was dissing Mellanby there, and I have o disagree with that. Yeah, the guy has basicly no hands and is half the time on his ass, but he's lethal around the net. He finds the right place and has a good onetimer. And what comes to Florida as a team, they have a tandem on the second line that can win games. Jesse Belanger and Bill Lindsay. Especially in ot. Lindsay is lethal. Godynyuk and Tichy are both good with the puck and can take out guys with huge hits. Florida is no way amongst the worst five teams.

Tampa Bay is another team that is in totally wrong company when amongst the worst teams. Bradley can win games by himself. Then you have the second line with Andersson and Kontos, both skilled and tough and can pass the puck. Checking line duo of Dimaio and Bureau is at least decent also. When talking about defensemen, Lipuma is a gamedecider. A real quarterback who can find guys behind opposition d-men. Just a great passser of the puck. Hamrlik is a stud. Reekie, Ladoceur and Chambers(who is also good in the attack) can hold their own. Young is a good goalie, he's fast and easy to handle, passes the puck well. Tampa has good speed and skills so they can control the puck, with enough scoring abilities to be a threat to any team.

Worst team in the league is easily Philadelphia. They are just useless. Can't get two passes to their own players. Someone was dissing Mellanby there, and I have o disagree with that. Yeah, the guy has basicly no hands and is half the time on his ass, but he's lethal around the net. He finds the right place and has a good onetimer. And what comes to Florida as a team, they have a tandem on the second line that can win games. Jesse Belanger and Bill Lindsay. Especially in ot. Lindsay is lethal. Godynyuk and Tichy are both good with the puck and can take out guys with huge hits. Florida is no way amongst the worst five teams.

Tampa Bay is another team that is in totally wrong company when amongst the worst teams. Bradley can win games by himself. Then you have the second line with Andersson and Kontos, both skilled and tough and can pass the puck. Checking line duo of Dimaio and Bureau is at least decent also. When talking about defensemen, Lipuma is a gamedecider. A real quarterback who can find guys behind opposition d-men. Just a great passser of the puck. Hamrlik is a stud. Reekie, Ladoceur and Chambers(who is also good in the attack) can hold their own. Young is a good goalie, he's fast and easy to handle, passes the puck well. Tampa has good speed and skills so they can control the puck, with enough scoring abilities to be a threat to any team.

And that's why Eklund, Recchi and Soderstrom are always drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Cause they suck.

For me, the Isles are so bad it's pathetic. There's something so shitty about them they are virtually unplayable. I'd take OTT,ANH, or FLA over them anyday

They have the same away disadvantage as SJ. Those two teams are literally unusable on the road.. every pass that somehow finds their out of position stick flubs off and they cant go through traffic for sh*t

• 6 years later...

TB should not be on this list. Islanders, Pens, Devils, and Caps are worse

what. all of those teams are better than tb, especially pittsburgh.

Dont get me wrong, I love me some Bradley, but I still think TB is worse than all those teams.

I agree with ya tho that Tampa doesnt really belong in this conversation in todays meta.

Dont get me wrong, I love me some Bradley, but I still think TB is worse than all those teams.

I agree with ya tho that Tampa doesnt really belong in this conversation in todays meta.

Yes, any of those teams mentioned should flat out destroy the bottom 3 -- Anaheim, Florida, Ottawa.

And looking at this, my least favorite would be Ottawa. I can have a pretty solid D-man with Kasatonov in Anaheim, and Gord Hynes is also a legit D-man in Florida. Ottawa is trash.

Heh TB still got decent players. ****'Os isn't that bad, and bradleys a player. Just something about NJ being s**t

Heh TB still got decent players. ****'Os isn't that bad, and bradleys a player. Just something about NJ being s**t

I think NJ is better than they get credit. Stevens is a BEAST checker. Richer provides decent C option with a rocket, Semak 6-4-3 weight agility speed is s solid winger, I've come to appreciate players like that having Joey Mullen.

Third winger zelepukin is average. Tererri is a top manual GC G