NHL'94 Forums

Could use a hand

Kebert_Xela

uh... yeah I am kind of stuck. I can't figure out how to get things to work. Does this software allow me to play against a computer or just online against other

players? I would kind of like to practice first so I do not get completely annihilated. But i think that is the least of my problems at the moment. I am trying to get

the SNES version to work, and I downloaded the rom file for it (the "nhl94_snes_smc.rar" thing) and then I downloaded the emulator things ("Z Battle v. 1.09" "Snes9X Emulator v. 1.43" and "ZSNES Emulator v. 1.42") but i am not sure which one(s) to use or how to use them. I just wanna play...

hello good sir, my name is TubaHero and i shall be your guide today. for today's activity you're going to need:

a keyboard

a mouse (preferably with both right and left click functions)

a monitor

all that s**t you downloaded

first off, extract the f out of everything. and by everything, i mean the rom, zbattle, emulators, your mom, etc. anything you downloaded that's a .zip or .rar file, extract 'er (this is where the right click comes in handy). i'm not sure which emulator is better to use (personally, i use 9x, but on the other hand, i've never played online before with snes), so just extract 'em both until a real authority can give you some answers. and remember when extracting .rar files to scream "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!" it speeds things up.

next opwn up the folder you extracted the emulator into and open it (once again, i don't give a schnitzel which emu you use.) configure your keyboard/controller (whatever you wanna use to play ze games) by going to input-joystick. then, go file-load game, then find the file of the rom that you extracted. the rom will open, and, voila! you can now kick the living daylights out of the cpu! (unless you're like me...)

however, none of these instructions will work unless you follow this crucial last step: go to http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=10085 and sign up for the O'Connor Cup. if you don't, i can't promise that Leigh Salters won't come to your house and f up your computer so that the only rom you can play is SabreFan1's NHL 94/09, available at http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9937.

also, get an aim, and talk to someone who actually knows snes.

tips go in the tip jar. cheers!

Edited by TubaHero

thanks tubahero, you are my hero. It was that rar file i couldn't extract so i had to get some thing to extract it and then everything went smoothly. Now i just have to find a game pad. I know there is one in my attic... somewhere...

im having trouble getting poke checks to work. I thought they were in '94, but i cant figure out what button it is (i know there is only four but none of them are doing it for me). do they exist in this game?

What about dekes and fake shots? i think x might be doing something but i am not entirely sure? i have no clue about the fake shots though and i think i have seen the computer do it.

Found a thread for SNES controls:

Controlling Player (without puck):

A = speed boost/check

B = change player/poke check/win faceoff

X = change to goalie

Y = hook

L = change to left defenceman (defence control has to be enabled)

R = change to right defenceman (defence control has to be enabled)

Controlling Player (with puck):

A = shoot

B = pass

X = nothing

Y = flip puck

L = nothing

R = nothing

Controlling Goalie (without puck):

A = save

B = change to player

X = poke check

Y = dive

L = nothing

R = nothing

Controlling Goalie (with puck):

A = nothing

B = pass

X = nothing

Y = flip puck

L = nothing

R = nothing

There are no fake shots in 94(not that i know of), and for deking just move the d-pad left or right while skating towards the goalie. or something like that.

Hope this helps!

There are no intentional fakeshots but I'm pretty sure that sometimes there are unintentional ones. Like where the player follows through on a shot without actually shooting the puck. I think it happens (but very rarely) if the player temporarily loses the puck after he has started the shooting windup, or if a one-timer misses the shooter but the puck somehow finds its way to him anyways, so he ends up doing the shooting motion without shooting the puck.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm pretty sure that can happen, but I haven't seen it lately.