NHL'94 Forums

Playoffs coming to Ottawa?

angryjay93

With 4 games to go, Ottawa fans actually have something to be excited about, the possibility of playoff hockey in their future. While they arent sitting pretty by any means, the 13-15 record the Sens have compiled so far have put them in a position to control their own destiny. The only thing standing in their way is division rival Quebec with whom the Senators have a 4 game set left to play with.

"If we win 0, we're out, we win 1, we might squeak in, split their series, and we're a lock...its that simple really," mused Captain Norm Maciver.

Sounds simple yes, but it won't be simple in actuality as the undermanned Sens will be forced to try and handle the likes of Joe Sakic, Andrei Kovalenko, and Valeri Kamensky who combine to provide one of the leagues premiere offenses.

"They have all those guys? Geez, I'm in trouble all right, but if the offense can give me more than 8 goals, I'll guarranty I'l make it stand...Huh? You say we haven't scored more than 8 goals in a game all season? Well that really throws a wrench into all this doesnt it?" gasped a bewildered Daniel Berthiaume.

For the Sens to be successful against Quebec, they must stick to the formula they have had all season, score by committee, take away the slot, and prey the other team is way, way, off their game. Veterans such as Doug Smail, Mark Lamb, and even Jeff Lazaro have stepped up off the bench when called upon and they must continue to do so.

"Smail has been a great presence away from the puck just being able to pound people, Lamb Chops has been a great all around player, and what can you say about Jeff "Ball Cap" Lazaro, hes only been in a handful of games all year, but within that limited playing time, he has hat tricks against Ed Belfour and Patrick Roy which were crucial in some big wins," said Jamie Baker.

Up to this point, the Sens have played some pretty solid hockey, with a bit more, who knows what might lay ahead for this team in the playoffs.