NHL'94 Forums

phoenix coyotes to southern ontario?

halifax

CBC just reported that phoenix filed for bankruptcy...possiblity to be moved to southern ontario

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBC just reported that phoenix filed for bankruptcy...possiblity to be moved to southern ontario

finally.

i was in phoenix* in february on a business trip. didn't see one coyotes logo**. no one i asked had been to a game.

* scottsdale, actually, but it's basically one big city. arena is within 30 miles drive.

** i saw 1 person with a coyotes shirt and 1 car with a coyotes license plate when i was in Flagstaff, a mountain city (25% higher than denver) 2 hours North, pop. 127,450.

certainly nothing is set in stone..and bettman seems to have a hard on for keeping them in phoenix (since it would make him look bad if they moved)...but hopefully common sense will prevail.

Yay, no more hockey in hell!

YIPEEE ANOTHER CANADIAN TEAM!

That's certainly good news for any Canadian.

Too bad it's in Ontario.

certainly nothing is set in stone..and bettman seems to have a hard on for keeping them in phoenix (since it would make him look bad if they moved)...but hopefully common sense will prevail.

The keyword is hopefully.

Need to start thinking about team names and colours!

One thing you have to admit with the Coyotes... they have(had?) a great theme -- there are actually coyotes in Phoenix, and that Aztec-like pattern they had on their sweaters is actually all over the place on bridges and stuff. I hope we don't end up with some teal monstrosity of a team.

Since Vancouver is now blue+green, there are no yellow teams in Canada...

I grew up in Phoenix. I usually go to a Coyotes game a year. I have probably been to more Coyotes games here than anyone else on this board. As a result, I have several things to say.

First, hockey in Phoenix? Was it doomed to fail from the start?

I honestly don't think so. When the team moved from Winnipeg, there was a genuine buzz - but that was 12 years ago. They played in the Suns arena, the upper level seats in the north end zone were obstructed, but for whatever reason, people cared - they made the playoffs 5 times. Never made it past the first round.

Then, a couple things happened.

The downtown arena wasn't really a good situation for the Coyotes - they needed a new arena. Instead of building a centrally located one, or even one at the old demolished mall which was near affluent, more dense Scottsdale and the East Valley, they moved to Glendale. And the fans, which already were spending their money on the expansion Diamondbacks, the Suns who had a great run there, were either hardcore hockey fans at this point - they do exist here - or sort of forgot about them.

They started giving tickets away, and while Phoenix is large enough and the West Valley can sort of support a team, attendance still sucked. Either we got free tickets, or bought really cheap tickets and then went down to the expensive seats - which didn't have anyone sitting in them.

The 'transplanted fan' notion isn't necessarily true either. For instance, I am a Flames fan for no good reason - but I follow them. I am NOT a Coyotes fan, though I obviously want them to do well. There are a lot of Phoenicians in the same situation - I know Red Wings fans, Penguins fans, Stars fans, Ducks fans, but I don't know any Coyotes fans. For a number of reasons, the team failed to make the connection with the transplanted fans in the same way the Diamondbacks have. For instance, the initial success, visibility, and relative affordability of the Diamondbacks has made them an important part of the sporting fabric. But Phoenix has a vast baseball tradition - the Coyotes needed to really grow the sport of hockey among the youth and they have failed in that regard.

So did hockey fail in the desert? In a regard, yes. But there ARE people in Arizona who like hockey, and there ARE enough people here to support a hockey franchise. But the Coyotes will likely be resigned to the land of the Whalers, the Scouts and - sadly - the Jets. Perhaps for better, perhaps for worse - but I really think it could have been done differently - and better. Now, it's just too late - nobody will be able to make money with the Coyotes in their current situation.

Anybody with romantic notions of a return for the Jets, Whalers or Nordiques can forget it, it isn't going to happen. But, what we will see should the franchise move to southern ontario, is a sustainable, successful franchise and thats something you can't get in Pheonix or Atlanta.

The day that the Coyotes move is the day we move a step closer to the NHL of old; a niche market, yes, a minor sport in the US, possibly, but a sport that actually understands where it's heartland lies and where it's restrictions and boundries are. The greatest possible outcome of a Coyotes relocation is a bloody nose for Gary Bettman, and as he had more than a finger in the Pheonix pie, a time of self-examination for the NHL.

Keeping a franchise in Arizona is foolish but I'm certain the Leafs and Sabres will have a few things to say about a team in Southern Ontario.

Edited by Sabre Dance

Anybody with romantic notions of a return for the Jets, Whalers or Nordiques can forget it, it isn't going to happen.

Typical.

We find it strange that hockey cities like Quebec City do not have an NHL team.

now there's an idea! seriously though, ontario already has 2 teams. how about quebec (1) or maybe even saskatchewan, manitoba, or an east coast team? hell, lets face it, put a pro hockey team anywhere in canada and they'll sell out nightly. Yellowknife Yeti, anyone?

hell, lets face it, put a pro hockey team anywhere in canada and they'll sell out nightly.

How about Resolute Bay, Nunavut?

resolute.gif

Or Kandahar, Saskatchewan?

post-1858-1241615631_thumb.jpg

Maybe even Miami, Manitoba.

MB_2004553.gif

Just some ideas.

Yes, Jim Balsillie officialy put an offer of 212 Millions and he loaned 17 Millions the the Coyotes so they can run good until the official transaction. YIPEEE ANOTHER CANADIAN TEAM!

You forget that they were once the Winnipeg Jets, you know. Same with the Carolina Hurracanes once being the Hartford Whalers.

You forget that they were once the Winnipeg Jets, you know. Same with the Carolina Hurracanes once being the Hartford Whalers.

I.. think he knows that..

I.. think he knows that..

Oh, I think I see what your'e saying now. You meant Quebec->Colorado.

I think Southern Ontario could support a team, though. The Leafs sell out pretty much every game, and there is such a large population in the (for Canada, anyway) Greater Toronto Area, a second team could still survive. The Ottawa area has only about 1 million people (300,000 in the actual city).

When you get articles like this one in your local paper, you know there's something wrong.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/ar...leycoyotes.html

Move the damn team already. My friend suggested the "Guelph Jetyotes" as a team name.

Edited by statto

Yes, Jim Balsillie officialy put an offer of 212 Millions and he loaned 17 Millions the the Coyotes so they can run good until the official transaction. YIPEEE ANOTHER CANADIAN TEAM!

It's not as simple as sharing a Root Beer float with Bettman and padding his booster seat with dollar dollar bills y'all.

The league doesn't appear very receptive to being strong armed into the condition that it will award Balsillie a franchise that's contingent on it migrating to Southern Ontario. More offers are likely to surface soon, but I'm not sure what city(s) have "easy bake" venues that could facilitate a new team immediately.

Don't know if Wisconsin has a stadium that's large enough capacity for a NHL team but they love them some hockey, and Packer fans are some of most loyal fans any where.

It's not as simple as sharing a Root Beer float with Bettman and padding his booster seat with dollar dollar bills y'all.

The league doesn't appear very receptive to being strong armed into the condition that it will award Balsillie a franchise that's contingent on it migrating to Southern Ontario. More offers are likely to surface soon, but I'm not sure what city(s) have "easy bake" venues that could facilitate a new team immediately.

Don't know if Wisconsin has a stadium that's large enough capacity for a NHL team but they love them some hockey, and Packer fans are some of most loyal fans any where.

Let's see.

Portland are already facing huge stadium issues with their new MLS team. Seattle lost their NBA team because the arena there sucked. Milwaukee and Houston and Charlotte have arena facilities but I'm not sure how easily they could host a new NHL team and I'm not sure the Milwaukee market is big enough - Aeros fans are crazy but there's not that many of them. Winnipeg has the MTS Centre (sp?) which is a little on the small size. Hamilton has Copps and not sure how big the other OHL facilities are. Kansas City, though, could host a team in their new Sprint Center.

Kansas City, though, could host a team in their new Sprint Center.

That will fail. Trust me.

Cleveland should have an NHL team too. It's a nice chilly place, good people and it's a perfect setting. Why hasn't someone stepped up to make a franchise there?

Cleveland should have an NHL team too. It's a nice chilly place, good people and it's a perfect setting. Why hasn't someone stepped up to make a franchise there?

Cleveland Blue Jackets?

Someone named Mel Swig did in the late 70's and it didn't work out too well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_(NHL)

http://dickensurl.com/a1b2/Hes_tough_maamt...nd_devilish_sly

http://dickensurl.com/a1b4/Its_my_old_girl...t_be_maintained

The Las Vegas Gamblers

gamblers.png

If they moved to Southern Ontario does that mean division restructuring? Toronto moves back to the Norris Central division?

I support a team in Hamilton only if they stop playing "who let the dogs out" after every goal at Copp's.

Kitchener, Waterloo, and Guelph are embarassingly small for a major league sports team, and if they move there they should call them the Ontario _______s. Also judging by my drive down the 401 on Monday, the area smells like manure come playoff time.

Or better yet, just move them back to Winnipeg so this broad can resume singing the anthems: