NHL'94 Forums

phoenix coyotes to southern ontario?

halifax

Here is my two cents guys:

Back in 1995 or 1996, when they left Winnipeg, for Glendale, bout the same time, ironically that Quebec left for Denver and Hartford left for Raleigh, i simply asked myself one question:

Hockey in Phoenix? what the heck? That's like putting football in Canada!

And low and behold, we had the short lived CFL, but that's another story. I thought Winnipeg moving was stupid, especailly to Arizona? Now Canadian fans back me up on this, but um, aren't there more fans in Winnipeg than there are in Phoenix? I know that for a fact. But you see, back in 1993 whrn Minnesota moved to Dallas, there were definently more fans in Minneapolis-St. Paul and they are about the same, thank you goes to the Cowboys and Mavericks, as well as the Rangers (the baseball team), although the Rangers have seen a surge in fan base over the past few seasons, especially this one. But again, that's another story for another time. I do however think that Hartford can support a team in this day and age. They got the Wolfpack, and they've lasted a long while, thus my point being proven that a new Whales team could last in HFD.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Deep sigh...*

May want to do a fact run-through next time, sir. The CFL is, in fact, very much alive.

I think what he was referring to was that the CFL was shortlived in the US when they had franchises in a few cities in the 90's.

I think what he meant was...the CFL was shortlived in the US when they had franchises in a few cities in the 90's.

Ah, that would make sense...I just assumed by the "football in Canada" that he meant the league in general.

I think what he was referring to was that the CFL was shortlived in the US when they had franchises in a few cities in the 90's.

I hate that f**king league.

Such a demonstration of BS.

3 potable quarterbacks in the league.

Defenses have the awareness of a Hot Dog.

3 Downs.

Its like the ECHL.

To further expand on my point, a Hartford Whalers comeback isn't uinfeasable at this point. In fact, about a year or two back, I heard rumors that Pittsburgh MIGHT lose it's team to Hartford. I was wondering if maybe that's not gonna happen after they won the cup this year. Anyone know what the status of the Pens is right now?

I hate that f**king league.

Such a demonstration of BS.

3 potable quarterbacks in the league.

Defenses have the awareness of a Hot Dog.

3 Downs.

Its like the ECHL.

I don't know about that FPB

If I were in the CFL I would be proud... that's the 2nd best league in the world!

Also lots of the young guys in the ECHL have been drafted too the NHL and have gone there to work on the game

So that's not a bad league either

To further expand on my point, a Hartford Whalers comeback isn't uinfeasable at this point. In fact, about a year or two back, I heard rumors that Pittsburgh MIGHT lose it's team to Hartford. I was wondering if maybe that's not gonna happen after they won the cup this year. Anyone know what the status of the Pens is right now?

well pretty much they just needed a new arena but at the time nobody was willing so they brought in the possibility of moving

Eventually mario lemuix bought the team and a new arena in pkittsburgh which insured the pens stay in Pitt

The new arena just started being played in this year I believe

Rats. Does anyone know the chances of HFD getting the Whales back in some form? Ever since they moved, I've been sorta obsessed with the idea of their possible return one day.

Even though I'm not positive I'm guessing the chances are slim and none

For the cyotes moving there are 3 teams in the mix

Winnipeg Quebec and Hamilton

Therefor I do believe that Hartford is not in the mix for a franchise at this point.

Maybe not for PHX, but what about other small market teams, such as FLA or SJ, or maybe CGY or ANH?

The only one that could possibly even move out of that group is FLA

SJ is too good for the fans to stay away ANH is set cuz they won the cup like three years ago and there is absolutly no way CGY goes anywhere! They sellout like the leafs!

Rats. Does anyone know the chances of HFD getting the Whales back in some form? Ever since they moved, I've been sorta obsessed with the idea of their possible return one day.

I think it will be some time before the NHL considers to expand or to move a team.

As much as I'd like to see an nhl return to canadian cities, it seems that the nhl is adamant of trying to make it work in every market. Phoenix included...regardless of how bleak it is.

It wasn't long ago when the capitals were terrible and there was talk that the capitals should fold or be moved, same with the pens...but no one would suggest that now. A couple superstar players turned that around in a big hurry.

Maybe not for PHX, but what about other small market teams, such as FLA or SJ, or maybe CGY or ANH?

yeah move Calgary to hamilton, wtf?

I'm thinking he meant CAR not CGY

that would make a little more sense but still... CAR made it to the east finals last year!

and the a key on the keyboard is no where near the g key lol

Edited by nationals1

that would make a little more sense but still... CAR made it to the east finals last year!

and the a key on the keyboard is no where near the g key lol

Idk, i like how it's only on the American teams' site that we see ''BUY TICKETS'' stacked on the front page.

No, I meant CGY. Lol, I actually moved Calgary to Quebec City in NHL 08 after going 0-2-0-2. I used NHL View to do it :P. Back on topic though, I still don't get why HFD moved to Carolina. Seemed like that even though they were horrible as the Whales, they filled up arenas on a normal basis.

Edited by dalstarsfan

No, I meant CGY. Lol, I actually moved Calgary to Quebec City in NHL 08 after going 0-2-0-2. I used NHL View to do it :P . Back on topic though, I still don't get why HFD moved to Carolina. Seemed like that even though they were horrible as the Whales, they filled up arenas on a normal basis.

Taken from Wikipedia..

"In March 1997, Whalers owner Peter Karmanos announced that the team would move elsewhere after the 1996–97 season because of the team's inability to negotiate a satisfactory construction and lease package for a new arena in Hartford."