NHL'94 Forums

VIHL - An NHL '94 Sim League

tantrix

Hey Guys,

I wasn't sure where to post something like this, so if it is in the wrong place, or not allowed, please feel free to remove this.

I wanted to extend an invitation to anyone interested in a NHL '94 sim league to join us in the VIHL. The VIHL is the Vintage Ice Hockey League, a league running off of a modded NHL 94. Most of the mods and the ROM itself are courtesy of members here at nhl94.com, and it has been a wonderful experience putting everything together.

We are currently entering our first season, having just recently completed our first annual preseason tournament. The league is hosted on the forums at thebreakaway.net. The league consists of 5 teams, mostly made up of members from the boards. Teams play 24 game seasons, with 6 matches against each of the other four teams (3 home/3 away).

Each team has their own team threads, with custom team sigs and banners being created by team members. The league is really about having some fun with a classic game that most people enjoyed. Not much is required from each player, just being active around the league/team forums is enough, as activity is one of our main focuses as we move forward.

The league will not be adding new players until the season 2 draft, but we are actively hoping to be able to expand and allow new members/players to put in bids for an expansion franchise (barring we have enough sign-ups to run an expansion draft after season 1).

I hope this doesn't come off as spam, but I just figured since I learned everything regarding ROM hacking here, I should extend an invitation to anyone interested.

The link to the league forum is HERE

The sign-up thread for season 2 can be found HERE.

Thanks for taking the time for reading this. Take a look around the forum and see if you like it. Don't join if you don't want to, I just wanted to spread the word, since the league is just taking it's first steps towards legitimacy at TBN.

NOTE: I do not claim to have created any of the ROM's or hacks, so all credit goes to wboy, nigel clark, and everyone else involved with things like the 30-team rom, weight bug fix, and tracking individual checks mod.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Eric (VIHL Commissioner)

Edited by tantrix

• 3 months later...

Giving this a bump, in order to update our status.

We have been moving along nicely since my last post, as we have gotten through 27 regular season games, as well as a 10 game pre-season tournament. That puts us just short of the halfway mark of games for season 1 (27/60)

We have just started testing out the idea of uploading full games for players to watch, along with a highlights package that allows people who don't want to sit through the entire game to just catch the goals/penalties/key moments.

We are continuing to search for more sign-ups for season 2, as we look to expand to at least a 6th team.

The links to the league are in the above post, so check it out if you have some time!

Thanks again, if it wasn't for all of you guys - this league would never exist!

Edited by tantrix

Do you plan of making a league here? Well, I could give it a try.

Guys, check this out and give it a chance!

• 5 months later...

Big bump here!

I just wanted to update everyone on the league. We have just completed our first season + playoffs, crowing our champ just yesterday in a 4-0 sweep in the finals. We did end up switching to game videos, so all of our league and playoff games are captured and uploaded in full for each recap :lol:

For season two, our league is expanding from 5 to 7 teams, and we are more than doubling our player numbers for next season with a draft class pushing 80 people.

If you guys are even mildly interested, you should go check it out!

The forums the league run on require you to sign up to see our game results forum, but it's worth it to see the amount of effort that is put into each gameday!

You can register RIGHT HERE

Once you have registered and signed in, our league forum link is HERE

You can check out every part of the league as a registered member, I just didn't realize that guests couldn't see the VIHL Game Results forum.

Anyways, check it out if you have some time to kill, our season 2 sign-ups are going to close soon and we are looking for a few more defenders if you are interested. It's a lot of fun, so give it a shot if you are looking for a fun new idea for a sim league!

Thanks!

Eric

VIHL Commissioner

Edited by tantrix

• 10 months later...

Another large bump for a very old thread.

I have been so busy the last calendar year (finishing teachers college and working on the side have kept me away from here, sadly), but I am now only 5 days away from finishing my program and I am getting back into the thick of the VIHL over at thebreakaway.

We are approaching the end of our second season (yes, it took us nearly a year to get a season done, but with only a few people working as staff to sim games, it takes time) and the playoffs are just around the corner.

We would absolutely love to have some fresh blood for season 3, and our sign-ups are still open. The links above still work for registering and viewing the league forum. I believe you have to sign up and log in at the site to see the games sub-forum (which is where all of our game highlights/stats/game day threads are kept), so check it out if you have a few minutes to spare.

Even if you aren't interested, thebreakaway has 2 other, much larger sim leagues that may interest you, so there is a lot to offer. With our league being the smallest, I tend to have to reach out and kind of plug the league to find sign-ups. We have 7 teams, and are hoping to make it to 8 for a proper 2-division format in the future, but right now I just want to extend the invitation to come and check us out, and perhaps sign-up for a classic league run using a lot of the great mods/hacks developed here at NHL94.com

Thanks guys, and sorry for the massively old thread bump

Regards,

Eric

If it's possible for you, Tantrix, you could also bring in some of the guys here from TBN and play in some leagues. We'd like some new blood here! :)

If it's possible for you, Tantrix, you could also bring in some of the guys here from TBN and play in some leagues. We'd like some new blood here! :)

I will certainly create a thread to re-direct them here! I don't know how many classic gamers there are kicking around at TBN, but I'll spread the word asap! It's the least I can do after everything this site has provided for the VIHL.

Edited by tantrix