NHL'94 Forums

Next Generation NHL94 Recruiting

HABS

I think we need aggressive recruiting for some new 94 talent. Community seems to be sagging for the past year and we need some new blood.

Maybe make a few threads on some other high traffic hockey forums and some old 94 players will join in here...

neeed new influx, seems like the noobs arent getting significantly better and most players are staying at the same stagnant levels.

We got a bunch of good leagues going on but the community def has been going downhill ever since guys like EA76 and backhandfloater left, even kg seems to be mia.

When the most active player is an angry (but hilarious) friday night drunk whos been banned from the forums, you know we're in trouble.

Guest Wags13

I totally disagree and again not surprisingly, this thread was started by someone from the "old guard" and sounds very "hey you kids stay off my lawn!" in theme.

This community has a steady amount of newcomers, and they'll increase their level of play.

When the most active player is an angry (but hilarious) friday night drunk whos been banned from the forums, you know we're in trouble.

I thought you were talking about me there for a second...

But wags is right, we got a lot of new blood, i think its safe to say ive never played half the guys around here now, its just a matter of us adjusting to who is new. Plus becoming a top tier player isnt an overnight process, just give them time.

I'll start leaving flyers under windshield wipers again, but someone needs to auction their forehead on ebay for NHL'94 advertisements.

And a lot of the new guys are flashes in the pan.. I can't remember how many green horns I played the first test game with and helped introduce to netplay (upwards of 30) that are now inactive.

I think many guys have grand visions of ruling netplay with an iron fist and get discouraged too quickly if they get battered for the first couple games, or in the standings of the first league and become disinterested.. Like AJ said you gotta catch the chicken and pay your dues in the L column before finding nirvana.

I think many guys have grand visions of ruling netplay with an iron fist and get discouraged too quickly if they get battered for the first couple games, or in the standings of the first league and become disinterested.. Like AJ said you gotta catch the chicken and pay your dues in the L column before finding nirvana.

Agreed.

Not everyone can step in and be a Jrod/Ice/Sebe :dal_skater_hand_grab:

I think having the leagues run right from nhl94online.com might help a little bit. I came to this site last year and saw the online league page, but I saw that it hadn't been touched since 2007. I immediately assumed that it was dead and I never thought to look at the forums, so I never joined. The only reason I joined up a couple months ago, I believe, was because the post "Classic League - Spring 2009 Sign-Ups" was at the top of the "Latest Forum Posts" section on nhl94.com's homepage (after I randomly came via wikipedia.)

I know that would take a lot of effort, but I'm just giving you my experience. Even some sort of homepage News updates that mention new leagues and whatnot would help someone coming to the site for the first time.

As for the discouraging factor, I think the O'Connor cup is a great idea. My first games were against other rookies, so I wasn't scared away. I think my fourth opponent was Sebe who eliminated any confidence I had developed from the previous three. But by then I had learned he had just won the A league, and I could hold my own against rookies. So my suggestion here would be to not run up the score against rookies in test games and maybe give them some basic pointers, especially if it's obvious they've been playing the CPU all their life.

And out of curiosity, did the best players around actually pay their dues in the L column?

I totally disagree and again not surprisingly, this thread was started by someone from the "old guard" and sounds very "hey you kids stay off my lawn!" in theme.

This community has a steady amount of newcomers, and they'll increase their level of play.

I would consider myself "old guard", and I agree with you on all accounts, Wags. We've had plenty of new comers, and a lot have been sticking around.

HABS - how many top notch players can you name that are no longer around? Is it a significant number considering the number of active players we have in leagues right now?

Although a lot of people will agree the level of talent in the past might have seemed higher, I think that this perspective is jaded. All of us have improved since then.... so in relation, a top-notch player then might only seem like a "really good" player now.

Don't let this stop you from bringing in new players though...

So my suggestion here would be to not run up the score against rookies in test games and maybe give them some basic pointers, especially if it's obvious they've been playing the CPU all their life.

And out of curiosity, did the best players around actually pay their dues in the L column?

1. It has been a hot issue in the past about running up scores. General consensus - in leagues where stats are tracked, play to the best of your ability. Some guys are nice and won't run up the score though.

2. It seems good players might've had their share of losses, but not for an extended period of time. They learned quickly. One season in a league of a lot of losses is understandable for a rookie... but if it drags on into 2, or even 3 series.... it is not looking good (example given: ScottStevensIsGod)

3. Great Idea by DGB for Evan - why not just post links to all active leagues on the nhl94.com website? Have nice little banners that users can navigate with.

Guest Wags13

Thanks- good to see guys in the old guard who get it.

Regarding running up the score..if you beat a guy 9-0 and he never comes back, we probably don't want him as a regular player anyway.. he's the kind that will likely quit leagues, etc and be harmful than good for our community. Getting beat 9-0 builds character and god knows two years ago when I joined I built a lot of it.

Plus becoming a top tier player isnt an overnight process, just give them time.

Yeah just look at me. I've been here since 2005 and I still haven't made the jump.

Agreed.

Not everyone can step in and be a Jrod/Ice/Sebe

HAHA, this is very true. However i can understand how HABS feels. Alot of the newer players dont seem to have the basic knowledge/understanding of the game, nor alot of experience playing the game on the console, recently that is. When i stepped on the scene i was playing console quite frequently, so the time it took me to evolve to the player i am now didnt take as long as it does for most of the new guys now. That being said, i do feel that there is alot of potential in some of the new guys. I have seen great improvement in some noobs. The only way that this new blood is going to learn to play the game well and compete and an A level, is to play A caliber players, not just once or twice, but dozens of times. Thats the road i took, i used to take beatings from EA, KG, HABS. Its a learning process. Not sure how much i learned tho.... id still take a beating from those guys... LOL

Another option is for vets to mentor a noob, one on one, teach him the ropes, help with strategy. I know that i did this for nikpetro when he was around, and he improved alot in a short time.

Id love to see more guys join, and i will do my best to spread the word and find some quality new players.

I think having the leagues run right from nhl94online.com might help a little bit. I came to this site last year and saw the online league page, but I saw that it hadn't been touched since 2007. I immediately assumed that it was dead and I never thought to look at the forums, so I never joined. The only reason I joined up a couple months ago, I believe, was because the post "Classic League - Spring 2009 Sign-Ups" was at the top of the "Latest Forum Posts" section on nhl94.com's homepage (after I randomly came via wikipedia.)

I know that would take a lot of effort, but I'm just giving you my experience. Even some sort of homepage News updates that mention new leagues and whatnot would help someone coming to the site for the first time.

As for the discouraging factor, I think the O'Connor cup is a great idea. My first games were against other rookies, so I wasn't scared away. I think my fourth opponent was Sebe who eliminated any confidence I had developed from the previous three. But by then I had learned he had just won the A league, and I could hold my own against rookies. So my suggestion here would be to not run up the score against rookies in test games and maybe give them some basic pointers, especially if it's obvious they've been playing the CPU all their life.

I think you're right about nhl94online.com. I got into this community because of seeing the league on the NHL94online.com site. i dug around the forums for info and ended up in dmitry's first stats league.

i always meant to have a "farm league" in blitz, where newbies could get some experience against other newbs and fight it out to get into the "B" league...

As for why the newer guys don't stack up against the old guard, it really just has to do with experience, I think. I bet the new guys would be about as good as us old guys were at particular levels of experience (in terms of years). You learn a lot of tricks over 3 years.

Ive been here a year and things seemed to have declined from when I first started.

I agree we need more recruitment, more dedicated coaches. More competition. Its hard to get into A leagues when you barely get competition to step you up.

Ive been here a year and things seemed to have declined from when I first started.

There are a number of posts above that go into detail and support their claims with reasoning.

What do you mean by "decline"? Do you find yourself typically defeating your opponents by 10 goals?

Uh thats not what I meant.

I meant the number of active members. When I started here there would be like 5+ leagues in full swing, with SNES having like 3. (classic, juiced, and capitalism) and gens having a bunch. So actually more like 6-7+

Now we have 2-3 at most.

We need more people for 94.

What were the 5+ leagues? Of those leagues - how many were successful?

It is my perception that these leagues fizzled due to the number of flakey players that never played their games. That isn't an example of "the glory days".

My guess is your frustration is because you perceive you aren't playing as many games as you used to be. There are a few reasons for the dropoff:

1. The absense of Dmitry for the GENS Draft League prevented the start of that league

2. The summer season begins a time of a lot of people taking a break from games (this has been known for a year or 2 now)

Saying there are 3 leagues "at most" also seems to be a bit of a mischaracterization. FDL, Blitz, NHL91, Classic, Summit Series, O'Conner Cup -- these are all leagues that seem to have been playing as of recent.

If you feel more players are needed - then spearhead the recruiting. I think that would be awesome. But I also think that your perception that this community is in a nosedive is not very well thought out.

Uh thats not what I meant.

I meant the number of active members. When I started here there would be like 5+ leagues in full swing, with SNES having like 3. (classic, juiced, and capitalism) and gens having a bunch. So actually more like 6-7+

Now we have 2-3 at most.

We need more people for 94.

Juiced, Snes/Gens Classic Gens/Snes Capitalism (I,II), Gdl, FVHL,Dynasty, 2on2

Were all having their success at one point.

Out of all of those pretty much all SNES interest has died.

FVHL wtf happened? dynasty?

2on2?

FDL is dead?

Summit and O'connor. Granted I forgot about those, but they are tournies not leagues. Summit is once a year, and this is the first O'connor tourney ( I think?)

Oh, and 91. Yeah I forgot about that too.

Even still, I used to have several games a day to play to keep up the pace, and its not the case anymore.

Slow decline in interest.

I wouldn't mind "spear heading" recruitment.

I've always tried to get people interested

Juiced, Snes/Gens Classic Gens/Snes Capitalism (I,II), Gdl, FVHL,Dynasty, 2on2

Were all having their success at one point.

Out of all of those pretty much all SNES interest has died.

FVHL wtf happened? dynasty?

2on2?

FDL is dead?

Summit and O'connor. Granted I forgot about those, but they are tournies not leagues. Summit is once a year, and this is the first O'connor tourney ( I think?)

Oh, and 91. Yeah I forgot about that too.

Even still, I used to have several games a day to play to keep up the pace, and its not the case anymore.

Slow decline in interest.

I wouldn't mind "spear heading" recruitment.

I've always tried to get people interested

the 2on2 league that you talk about didnt had success at all since most of the players in we're not playing their damn games, just take a look at 2on2.org, 2000 replacements in 1 season ... and im not sure if FVHL ever finished 1 season. I think you can easily compare those tourneys your talking about with the capitalism league since more than half of gms we're not even played in that league (well personnaly)

Blitz took the place of FVHL league and dynasty died cause Sungaa couldnt find the time to run the league, which is pretty sad since this league was just awesome. That's not because they couldn't find players that wanted to play in. Like you said, maybe it's just the snes interest that is gone...cause gens seems pretty healthy

Not everyone can step in and be a Jrod/Ice/Sebe

Watch yar back :lol:

Edited by Freydey