NHL'94 Forums

EARE - EA ROM Editor (for NHL94)

smozoma

I have been working with a rom and changed a few things and now when I try to open it up in NOSE it will not work it says does not appear to be a supported rom. Any idea? I know I messed up I just don't know what.

I'm aware that you can Change the number of teams selectable in the main window, but my question is is it possible to lets say move the Kings and Flyers down to the first two spots. So if I selecte 3 teams or so I can have those teams in it as apposed to just the first 3 teams?

I have been working with a rom and changed a few things and now when I try to open it up in NOSE it will not work it says does not appear to be a supported rom. Any idea? I know I messed up I just don't know what.

Hm, I'm not sure...

Does the ROM still play in the emulator?

I'm aware that you can Change the number of teams selectable in the main window, but my question is is it possible to lets say move the Kings and Flyers down to the first two spots. So if I selecte 3 teams or so I can have those teams in it as apposed to just the first 3 teams?

I think you have to manually redo all the graphics if you want to do that.

• 1 month later...

Using a hex editor, open the ROM. Search for something that Ron Barr says in order to find that data. Overwrite what he says with what you want him to say. Make sure you only overwrite stuff. DO NOT DELETE THE TEXT, only overwrite it. If you delete bytes, then the game will be broken.

• 10 months later...

Yeah, I've seen that. I don't understand what or where or how to use this knowledge. I don't have a clue how to do this. I'm beyond a newb at this and rely on smart people to create programs that are easy for people like me.

I don't even know where to start.

Edited by Tex

It's only been 5 years...

You talk like they are on your payroll their bud.

Trying stroking some checks & then can make some demands there. I'm greatful anybody did anything that lets me have some extra fun w/ the game.

Yeah, I've seen that. I don't understand what or where or how to use this knowledge. I don't have a clue how to do this. I'm beyond a newb at this and rely on smart people to create programs that are easy for people like me.

I don't even know where to start.

Download and install HxD from here: http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

Use that program to open the ROM file. It's a "hex editor" that lets you change the contents of the ROM.

From then on it's not too bad to figure out, though it'll take some trial and error.

Numbers in hex go 0123456789ABCDEF (16 numbers instead of 10). You're just looking for numbers and swapping them according to the 8th post in this thread. (my post beginning " Swos gave me this idea and I checked it out:" I give an example of how to swab Boston and Calgary's themes. There is a screenshot of HxD at the bottom of my post there to help explain what you're seeing in HxD).

If you do this with the original ROM and not a custom version, you'll need to open and save the ROM with NOSE in order for it to play in an emulator, because there is some code in there that prevents the game from running if you've edited it, and NOSE removes that code.

No sense of humor. It was obviously a joke.Not everyone understands how do this stuff. It's a great site still the same.

Edited by Tex

Download and install HxD from here: http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

Use that program to open the ROM file. It's a "hex editor" that lets you change the contents of the ROM.

From then on it's not too bad to figure out, though it'll take some trial and error.

Numbers in hex go 0123456789ABCDEF (16 numbers instead of 10). You're just looking for numbers and swapping them according to the 8th post in this thread. (my post beginning " Swos gave me this idea and I checked it out:" I give an example of how to swab Boston and Calgary's themes. There is a screenshot of HxD at the bottom of my post there to help explain what you're seeing in HxD).

Thank you.

I definitely can't do most of it, which is why I'm greatful these nerds have been so generous w/ their spare time.

Didn't catch you were joking. Sorry bout that.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It keeps saying "There was an inconsistency in the number of selectable teams in playoff games. The number has to be set to 1. Please select the number of teams you desire on the "Selectable Teams" window and click "Apply". Then it crashes and says "EARE has stopped working".

What's that about? Any solution? I am using the 30 team NHLPA 93 hack. Thanks!

Ah I see. How do you change the amount of teams in Hex?

One of the links here has it for 94, it could be the same for 93

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/8090-gens-editing-the-game-thread-guide-newbs-start-here/

Thanks, Smoz.

Here it is:

NHLPA Hockey '93 (UE) (REV01) [!].bin

0x00013D2E
change 001A 001A where 1A (both) is the Hex # of teams (default is 26 decimal).

0x00014492
change 0017 where 17 is the Hex # of playoff teams -1 (default is 23 decimal [0 thru 23 (for 24) teams]).

0x00014498
change 7417 where 17 is the Hex # of playoff teams -1 (default is 23 decimal [0 thru 23 (for 24) teams]).

0x00013BAC
change 7818 where 18 is the Hex # of teams (default is 24 decimal).

Note, edit your playoff draws to exclude teams not available/selectable.

• 1 year later...

Some quick questions if I may......

1) In the team ratings what does the team overall rating do?? Does it represent player totals and can I change it?? Is it used when it sims other games??

2) With the various ratings (off and def) what is average?? Seven is highest, zero is lowest, producing a 3.5 average....have to use 3 or 4.

Thanks for sharing this and your hard work....great tool!!

Rickj

Some quick questions if I may......

1) In the team ratings what does the team overall rating do?? Does it represent player totals and can I change it?? Is it used when it sims other games??

2) With the various ratings (off and def) what is average?? Seven is highest, zero is lowest, producing a 3.5 average....have to use 3 or 4.

Thanks for sharing this and your hard work....great tool!!

Rickj

Overall just changes the rating displayed on the team matchups. Doesn't affect anything else in the ROM.

Not sure what your question is regarding the advantages.

7 = Best Offense/Worst Defense

0 = Worst Offense/Best Defense

3/4 is average for both no 3.5 choice available.

Offense/Defense is just sim data.

PP/PK I am not sure.

Home/Away will affect Player vs Player games.

I think that is what you are asking.

I don't think the Offense of Defense rating does anything.

PP, PK, Home, Away, however, do affect player ratings during the game. They affect certain attributes, but I don't remember which.

I think OFF/DEF is when the CPU is simming.

It is in 93 as I have experimented with it.

Set a team to 70 Strong/Strong they will win most sim games and simmed playoff series.

Set them to 07 Weak/Weak and they will lose.

It is why Pitt makes the Finals so much when playing as Campbell team in 1 player playoffs