NHL'94 Forums

EARE - EA ROM Editor (for NHL94)

smozoma

I got an issue. I took out a few teams, yet when I open in NOSE, the removed teams are still there :blink:
It doesn't take them out of NOSE just out of the rom

Correct(ish). All it is doing is changing the number of teams you can select in the game menu. There's not much point removing their data from the ROM file, as long as you can't select them.

(Possible bug: You might still see "unselectable" teams in the "out of town scores", but I haven't checked for this.)

Edited by smozoma

• 1 month later...

There was a crash in EARE caused by the bug below. It's been fixed. Thanks to swos for reporting this bug.

v0.1.2

Bug Fixes:

- Fixed the bug that caused EARE to crash if a ROM contained any team lines with any number of empty player slots. EARE will show a warning message if it notices this problem. You should fix the problem in NOSE by making sure all lines on all teams have all 7 players specified (G, LD, RD, LW, C, RW, and Extra Attacker).

download the updated version from the first post

Smoz you fixed the assist bug? as in when it fails to give the assist? How did you fix that???!

I fixed the "2nd assist bug", the one where the 3rd guy on a play doesn't get an assist because the first two guys passed back and forth.

it's explained here and there's a program to fix it http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8486

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

v0.1.3 now released!

EARE can now change the Team Ratings.

This is basically v1.0, but I have a couple little issues I want to fix before giving it that stamp.

For those asking about NHL93, I'm sorry, but I won't be making EARE compatible with that game : (

post-253-1264540668_thumb.png

Change Log:

v0.1.3 (Jan 26 2010)

New Features:

- Team Ratings - Now viewable and editable in the Teams window.

- Ability to use EARE to open a ROM using the "Open With" feature of Windows. (EARE now accepts a file path as a command line argument)

- Now remembers the last directory you opened a file from and uses it the next time you use File->Open or File->Save As.

Changes:

- The "Set Player Pictures" window now starts minimized to avoid accidental usage of the feature.

Bug Fixes:

- If you use the File->Close menu option, EARE now clears the file name from the main window title bar.

Development Time:: 4:30:00

download from first post

Edited by smozoma

I'm considering making EARE open source.

Does anyone here know C++ who would be interested in contributing? Or would my EARE-dedicated time be better spent simply adding features, rather than setting up a source code repository/website, etc?

EARE is written in C++ and uses Qt for the GUI. Unfortunately, it's not the easiest language to pick up if you don't have prior programming experience...

Edited by smozoma

Hey Smozoma, this is a great program, thanks a lot!

I just had one quick question. For each team's defence level in your program, 7 is listed as "weak", where as in the previous threads that talk about these ratings in NOSE, list that a 7 rating would make for the best defence. I may just be confused, but I was wondering which value actually represents the best possible defensive AI?

Hey Smozoma, this is a great program, thanks a lot!

I just had one quick question. For each team's defence level in your program, 7 is listed as "weak", where as in the previous threads that talk about these ratings in NOSE, list that a 7 rating would make for the best defence. I may just be confused, but I was wondering which value actually represents the best possible defensive AI?

7 is bad defense.

7 is good offense.

Check this post that shows the relationship between the default values in the original game with the goals for/against for the real teams from 1992-93:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?s=&sh...ost&p=74718

Chicago let in the fewest goals that season (230), and they have a 0 rating.

San Jose were the worst, letting in 414 goals, and they have a 7 rating.

The reason the All Star teams have 7 offense and 7 defense is probably that the score in the All Star game that year was 16-6 -- not a very defensive game.

7 is bad defense.

7 is good offense.

Check this post that shows the relationship between the default values in the original game with the goals for/against for the real teams from 1992-93:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?s=&sh...ost&p=74718

Chicago let in the fewest goals that season (230), and they have a 0 rating.

San Jose were the worst, letting in 414 goals, and they have a 7 rating.

The reason the All Star teams have 7 offense and 7 defense is probably that the score in the All Star game that year was 16-6 -- not a very defensive game.

Ah, I see. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!

I hope you continue to develop this program for NHL 94. It does do some great things that NOSE is unable to achieve.

I'm not sure how many programmers we have on here. I know plenty of guys are getting into hacking. I say for now I'd vote for you to keep adding features but if two or more others think they could pick it up, make it open sourced.

I'm not sure how many programmers we have on here. I know plenty of guys are getting into hacking. I say for now I'd vote for you to keep adding features but if two or more others think they could pick it up, make it open sourced.

The sad thing is if we transferred the knowledge of hacking in this community over to creating an open-source "remake" of the early NHL games, we'd have a pretty good game already.

• 2 months later...
Beyond

- Edit intro credits and Ronn Barr commentary

- Reorder teams in startup menu

- Rearrange sound effects (not modify, just rearrange)

Dude, your like Professor Xavier or something.

patrick-stewart-professor-x.jpg

Composite photo of Smozoma in his '94 laboratory.

• 4 weeks later...

v1.0 Released!

EARE can now change the ROM name that appears in the emulator title bar.

It also removes the checksum, and you get icons on the save and open buttons now.

post-253-1275201770_thumb.png

Change Log:

v1.0 (May 30 2010)

New Features:

- ROM Name now editable. This is the ROM name that appears in the title bar of the emulator.

- Game's checksum routine is removed when you save.

- Icons added for save and open. Icons by Mark James http://www.famfamfam.com

Bug Fixes:

- Doing Save As without first modifying the ROM produced an empty file.

- Recent Files list did not update after reaching a length of 5 files.

- An opened ROM was closed if you cancelled before opening another ROM.

Development Time:

- 15 hours approx.

- Lost time due to some weird debugging problem

Please download it from the first post

Edited by smozoma

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

using DarWine to run this on a Mac 10.4.11, I am having it fail immediately upon opening the file I want. it isn't reporting why in the WineHelp messages. I can only get as far as seeing the symbols for load (a blank folder icon) save (a disk icon) and the other image across the top of the toolbar. when I pick a file to open, it crashes. please help.

using DarWine to run this on a Mac 10.4.11, I am having it fail immediately upon opening the file I want. it isn't reporting why in the WineHelp messages. I can only get as far as seeing the symbols for load (a blank folder icon) save (a disk icon) and the other image across the top of the toolbar. when I pick a file to open, it crashes. please help.

I have no way to test this out to see what's going on.. sorry, out of luck :(

yeah. I figured as much. I am trying to get into Genesis and I have gone through the simpler changes like ice color and weight bug and whatnot, but I'm hoping to use a program that will make player attributes easier to edit as well as do things I can't do with just a hex editor and a tile editor. can't get NOSE nor EARE to work (what's that? sorry, I can't hear nor smell!), so it looks like I won't be implementing the cooler stuff you've been working on. not the biggest deal, as the Genesis version isn't as fun, anyway.

yeah. I figured as much. I am trying to get into Genesis and I have gone through the simpler changes like ice color and weight bug and whatnot, but I'm hoping to use a program that will make player attributes easier to edit as well as do things I can't do with just a hex editor and a tile editor. can't get NOSE nor EARE to work (what's that? sorry, I can't hear nor smell!), so it looks like I won't be implementing the cooler stuff you've been working on. not the biggest deal, as the Genesis version isn't as fun, anyway.

You could maybe pick up a windows laptop for dirt cheap from a used computer store (there's one near me called "the trailing edge".. lots of old stuff), and even new laptops can be pretty cheap. Seems like it would save you a lot of time and headaches.. and what's more valuable than your time and health :D

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this app is still being worked on but is there a way you can adapt it to also edit the Sega CD version?

I found the team/player info to be in the "hockey.bin" file.

- D

Not sure if this app is still being worked on but is there a way you can adapt it to also edit the Sega CD version?

I found the team/player info to be in the "hockey.bin" file.

- D

Sorry, this'll probably always be just a plain sega nhl94 tool.

• 3 months later...

Hey Smoz, been using this for a while now and its a gem!

Just wondering what the compatibility is like the the 30 team rom. I'm nearly finished on my ENL rom now (thanks for all the help by the way) but EARE crashes when I try to open it to change selectable teams (amongst other things). Any ideas?

Hey Smoz, been using this for a while now and its a gem!

Just wondering what the compatibility is like the the 30 team rom. I'm nearly finished on my ENL rom now (thanks for all the help by the way) but EARE crashes when I try to open it to change selectable teams (amongst other things). Any ideas?

There should be no problem with the 30-team ROM. Weird... Is there anything particularly out-of-the-ordinary you're done in your ROM?

Catch me on AIM and send me the ROM and I'll try to figure out what's going wrong.

Nothing out of the ordinary that I can think of...

I'm not on AIM, so is it best to Media Fire it and send through the chat function on here?

I'll send you a PM with my email address in order to send me the ROM.

Don't know when I can look at this issue.